Using push-pull pots

Updated
njrusmc
Wiring guru's, I am a computer programmer, not an electrical engineer, so forgive my ignorance and inexperience regarding electrical components. I am basically familiar with how a push-pull pot works and what it looks like. What I want to do is take my MH400NT (one volume, one tone) and replace both pots with push-pulls. When the volume pot is pushed, I want to control the bridge pup volume. When it is pulled, I want to control the neck pup volume. When the tone pot is pushed, control bridge tone, if pulled, control neck tone. Can this be done? What about the case where my selector switch is in the center position? I tried to draw it out on paper but could not find a feasible way. Ideally, if the selector switch is in the center position, both pots should function normally. Thanks in advance for any advice you can dish out.
njrusmc

Yep, I saw that earlier this morning, but frankly I am not willing to spend $35 on it :) I contacted the guys who have the EMG brand ones for ~13.25 each, including the alan wrenches. They are out of stock but I can back-order them.

Sixstringhotshot

Wiring guru's,

I am a computer programmer, not an electrical engineer, so forgive my ignorance and inexperience regarding electrical components.

I am basically familiar with how a push-pull pot works and what it looks like. What I want to do is take my MH400NT (one volume, one tone) and replace both pots with push-pulls. When the volume pot is pushed, I want to control the bridge pup volume. When it is pulled, I want to control the neck pup volume. When the tone pot is pushed, control bridge tone, if pulled, control neck tone.

Can this be done? What about the case where my selector switch is in the center position? I tried to draw it out on paper but could not find a feasible way. Ideally, if the selector switch is in the center position, both pots should function normally.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can dish out.

EDIT: Jet has solved your problem. The following ramble has been left for posterity. :lol

....MAYBE.

Push-pull pots are a potentiometer and a latching switch. Theoretically if you wired the "hot" from your pickups to each pole of the switch (up and down, respectively), you could then run the 'out' of the switch to the 'in' of the pot.

However - that will yeild a pickup selector type switch. It won't just switch the function of the pots, but also which pickup you're using. If you already have some sort of pickup selector switch, that's quite redundant and unnecessary.

As your guitar is currently wired, the volume and tone pots DO switch which pickups they control....this is accomplished with your pickup selector switch. They do not have memory though, so if you wanted both maxed for the bridge and both at half for the neck (without twisting knobs frantically) you're screwed.

The only way to get independant settings like that without using a Les Paul style control setup is using concentric pots, which is basically two knobs stacked on top of eachother. They are wired like 4 separate pots, and they act totally independant of eachother. This would allow you the control you want without drilling two more holes for two more pots.

Post to Thread