Is my new guitar broken?

Updated
Mystievel
So i just bought a new esp ec-1000 (like everyone else in the fricken world), and ive never used active pickups before so maybe it has something to do with them...but every time i have the pickup toggle switch facing down (i think so im only using the pickups closest to the base of the guitar, whatever thats called, base pickup?) anyways, when the switch is facing down that way, i only sometimes get sound. Like if i switch it from the middle, then to the downwards position it either takes about a minute until i can hear it, or i have to hit the strings real hard a couple times and then it'll start making sound and i can finally continue playing. Is this because of the active pickups, or did my guitar come broken?
tee5150ii

That's odd. I would say check the battery...get a new 9v and put that it, see what's up as far as if that fixes it. If not, if you got it from a dealer, take it back and get them to check it out. If you ordered it off the internet/phone, I would take it in to a local shop, tell the tech what's going on and see if they can inspect the wiring to see if everything is where it needs to be.

Gravy Tank

Also, make sure your cable is plugged in all the way. EMGs use a stereo jack, which means you gotta push the cable in a little harder than you normally would.

arsiscode

Sounds like awiring issue to me... not a big deal. Congratulations on the new guitar dude!

wesjoh225

base pickup. lmfao

K1N5L4Y3R

sounds like a dud switch

max_power

Have you gotten this resolved yet?

I got an ec500 recently with the same exact symptoms, when I brought it to a shop they couldn't find anything wrong with the wiring or switch and told me it was the pickup.

It sucks because I got it online, and when I called that place, they were happy to send a replacement, but the replacement guitar seemed to be manufactured a lot sloppier than the first, and came with a big dent in it, so it was immediately returned.

riku

it sounds more the like electronics in the neck pickup that the problem. Could be a fault smoothing capacitor in the circuit that needs to be charged first before as it's loosing it's charge. Check the battery/wiring firsts as they're easy things to do. If it is the pick up then it means you have to buy a new one as all the electronics are encased in it. If it's new then take it back to the shop and get them to sort it out.

R11GJH

Just send it back for a new one, no point in getting into new switch etc. It could even be a faulty quick connector on the emg.

it sounds more the like electronics in the neck pickup that the problem. Could be a fault smoothing capacitor in the circuit that needs to be charged first before as it's loosing it's charge. Check the battery/wiring firsts as they're easy things to do. If it is the pick up then it means you have to buy a new one as all the electronics are encased in it. If it's new then take it back to the shop and get them to sort it out.

Why the Neck pickup not Bridge?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Pushead

It's a pretty common problem with those switches and EMGs. The toggle just needs to be re-soldered. The shop you got it at should be able to do it, or exchange the guitar for another. I've had that problem on just about every ESP/LTD guitar with EMGs I've had. Including a JH-1 and KH-3.

Greatdeceiver

I had a similar prob in my kh-202 (had passives tho). I checked all the electronics and found out that the switch was fucked up. I'd say its the switch

max_power

Ahhhhh... I didn't realize until today that these pickups had quick connects. I'm going to switch the pickups around tonight to see if the problem follows the pickup or stays in the bridge position.

It sucks, the guitar w/ the problems has just about the nicest setup & action I've played and I'd rather get this one working than replace it with an axe that might not feel so nice.

metaball

i got a bunk switch on my new ec-500 as well. seems to be an epidemic.

Bob Levesque

Just received my EC 1000, bloody toggle doesn't work either... pretty sad

Mark K.

haha..yeah duck tape rules!!!!

Post to Thread