set-neck problem

Updated
Metalmilitia306
my friend has a old epiphone g-400 and the neck on it is loose. is there any way to fix this? thanks
Pushead

If it's loose, the only way to really fix it is to remove the neck, clean the joint, and re-glue it. It's not an easy process. It isn't a very common thing, but that is one of the downsides to owning a set-necked guitar.

strngthbyndstrngth

my friend has a old epiphone g-400 and the neck on it is loose. is there any way to fix this? thanks

A customers car had the same guitar in the trunk and I assume it got so hot the glue let go and the string tension pulled the neck out of the joint. I took the thing, did like Pushead said, cleaned the joint out real good, got some good wood glue, and a few clamps and glued it back on. after the glue dried, I strung it up, and gave it to my nephew. The thing palys awesome, and I am the good uncle that gave nephew a guitar. :)

Pushead

Wood glue is all they use at the factory. It's stronger than you'd think.

shakeESP

If he hasn't had it long there might be some sort of guarantee?

If not, he'll have to re-glue the neck, as Thrashman said.

And also tell him to never buy an Epiphone again!

-Chris

Metalmilitia306

yeah i figured. i told them theres was no point in fixing it. but he wants to sell it which i think its not a good idea but whatever.

TaoZen

The guitar probably isn't really worth the repair if it is done by a luthier. If he wants to do some research online and try to do it himself for the shits and giggles/learning experience, more power to him. It's actually kind of fun and empowering to DIY.

PS, I have bought some trainwreck guitars and fixed them up and resold them offering full disclosure to the buyers. They usually have gone to beginners and I made sure that they were set up well, fret levelled and recrowned, and they were happy with their purchase. I usually spent a lot of time on them (hours and hours sometimes), but I love to tinker so to me it was a labor of love that I considered to be a donation to an aspiring guitarist.

Anyhow it's just good Karma!

Post to Thread