Buying in Japan, is it really that risky?

Updated
Buying in Japan, is it really that risky?

Good day ESP community

So, I'm (hopefully) going to a bussiness trip to Japan in a couple of months, just an all-expenses-paid weekend as part of some market research for my current job.

Since I'll have a full day spare time, I would like to fullfil my dream of having a Custom Shop ESP, so, I have almost everything sorted out, where to buy (Big Boss is the official ESP dealer), times for delivery (8 to 10 months if not in stock, but maybe I could buy something of-the-shelf), prices (about 5 to 6k for something not too crazy and willing to expend a little more), the dreaded and always nightmare-inducing airline official policies/expenses/care/availability for transporting instruments and also import taxes.

I just have a couple of questions for which the information has been evading me and are a matter of concern, since honestly that kind of money represents years of saving and wouldn't like it to go to waste, nor such a fine instrument rot on a customs warehouse:

1.- CITES requeriments, since it would certainly have rosewood and mahogany; could the dealer/shop give me the necessary wood identification paperwork necessary to ask for the CITES export permit and/or exemption? 

2.-Since it's my first trip to Japan I don't really know the customs routine at departure. I know there currently is a tourist standarized tax, but, does anybody knows if I must declare the guitar ('cause it's high price) when I leave the country?

3.-Also, not really important, since I can speak a little japanese and will be with a japanese college. I'm almost sure some of the guys at Big Boss can speak english, right?

Feel free to ask me any question that may help, also feel free to share any stories to anyone who has actually bought an ESP in Japan

Dominic D.

Hello mate, and congratulations of your awesome paid trip haha wish my work would do that.. 

For point 1. 

My experience with CITIES was shipping a guitar from the USA to Australia so may not be the same for you and It was a private sale not a retailer. The seller filled out the CITIES paperwork for that one, it was a big pain the ass and took forever to come through, but I do recall reading that if the guitar is just a piece of luggage there's no requirement to do CITIES stuff as you are not shipping it or trading it so to speak. Again maybe be different for you as it's from Japan to (what country do you live in ?).

If you know Yue Ryu on the FB pages he should be able to assist you much better as he's in Japan and ships all over the world. 

metalhobo

export taxes are pretty rare so I doubt you'd have to pay any levy on the guitar when you leave. but it's very possible you'll be responsible for declaring and paying import tax when you get home.

Papa Fiq

Congratulations on your trip man!

From what I heard and understand, CITES is no longer applicable on guitars and they have abolished it. But if its still applicable, I don't think you’ll have any issue as you’ll be bringing it back by hand (as Dominic said…you’re not shipping it or trading it). 

I can’t say much about the customs at departure but yeah, you can check with Yue Ryu from FB. He can advice you better on that. 

For point 3, yeah, there are some staff at Big Boss who can speak good English. I have a couple of friends who have visited them previously and had no issue communicating at all. 

Lastly, enjoy and have fun man!

Andres G.

Thank you for your answers!

Also read about CITES leaving guitars out of the verification, as it would apply only to raw materials or unfinished products (Except for Brazilian Rosewood, which has not really being used for decades anyway) . I already contacted them to ask about this possibilty, let's just wait for an answer.

Thanks for the heads up on Ryu, I'll try to contact him regarding that issue. Also, now that you mention that, maybe Japan Customs can actually solve that doubt, I'll ask at arrival

Anyway, I think I'm gonna risk it, every info I could gather may be useful for another post.

Cheers!

Tom R.

I bought a guitar while in Japan on vacation once, a used ESP Reindeer and brought it back with me as my carry on in a gig bag. I didn't declare it as I figured they couldn't prove I hadn't brought it over with me. But it never came to that as they didn't even ask me about it. Personally, what I would do in your situation is ship the case and all the paperwork, receipts, and case candy etc (i.e.; any evidence it was purchased there) home to myself from Japan. Buy a gig bag over there, and carry the guitar back home with me on the plane as carry on. I wouldn't try to carry a hardcase on the plane, because they might want to insist I check it. A gig bag is smaller, and more compact, so they're less likely to ask you to check it IMO 

Post to Thread