Moving up in the world - 2017 Exhibition Series Koa Eclipse

Updated
Moving up in the world - 2017 Exhibition Series Koa Eclipse

When NAMM comes around and ESP starts posting photos of the model lineup, I always get a bit excited. I especially like looking at the guitars they put together for their "Exhibition Series," the guitars that show what exactly they're capable of. In 2017 there were three guitars from that collection that really spoke to me; this flamed koa topped Eclipse being, in my estimation, the one to have.

I watched when it sold, rather quickly, new from a shop on Reverb at a price that I could never bring myself to spend. Around a year later, I saw it reappear as someone decided to move on to something new. And just recently, it appeared for a third time. I finally decided to pull the trigger.

When it got to my place, I was sort of surprised. Even though I have more Eclipses than the inner rings of the solar system, after looking at the close-up and detailed photos of the guitar, somehow I was expecting it to be bigger. As you would expect, it's the same size as the others. It's a bit heavier than average, as far as my others go. The neck size is pretty similar, though it might be a tad flatter as it gets to the 12th fret. The frets are smaller. I'd be curious to know if they're stainless. It'd be my first experience with stainless. It's also the first Eclipse I own with the rounded neck joint as opposed to the Les Paul style.

It showed up with smaller strings than I'm used to, and since the majority of my playing lately has been down-tuned, (we're recording new music, ATM) it's a bit difficult to get a full read on how it sounds. Certainly full sounding, though there wasn't a huge amount of low end. I'm not sure what the pickups are. It was never included in a listing for the guitar. Similar guitars from the 2017 show had a SD 59 set, so it wouldn't surprise me if that is what's here as well.

I'm not exactly sure what the second switch really does. In one position, it sounds like it's full humbucking and the other two it sounds like single coils. I'm usually not shy about pulling guitars apart, but I'm having a difficult time bringing myself to go at this thing with a screw driver. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but for now, the mystery isn't that great to me.

And yet again, I get screwed out of the strap-side strap locks when buying used. I must have 20 spare strap buttons floating around that go to waste because I have to buy a full set so I can have the strap-side locks. That's smart on Schaller's part.

I know people say this all the time, and I usually just roll my eyes, but the photos don't do the guitar justice. These photos are not my best work, but unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time for photo shoots.

frantic77

Congrats!amazing! 

More pics please.!

Cogan C.

I was never a koa fan.....until now. I've seen some M series models up close with koa tops and they looked like old TV trays refined into guitar tops.

The cap on that Exhibition looks incredible, like night and day compared to the old Standard  Series and LTD models. Congrats, more pics please!

tx-ogre

Very nice.  Congrats.

ESP 348

Looks awesome man!! Congrats.

How many do you own now?

And what did you pay for it? If you don't me asking? Send a PM if you want to keep if private.

Looking forward to seeing more pics also and can you please post a pic of the back of it when you can.

Pushead

That's all the photos I have at the moment, but here are a few from the original listing when it was sold from Cornerstone Music in Florida.

They're hosted on Reverb, so I don't know how long they'll be around, but it gets you closer than my photos.

I think this makes the 12th Eclipse, 19th ESP (brands), and guitar number 34.

I have issues.

Alamodome

Very nice  exquisite piece man. Congratulations!!!

ESP 348

Stunning Pus!! Thanks man, that really is a lot of guitars.

Congrats again and enjoy.

Dave R.

Nice score, Push. I managed to wrangle up the specs for you, here you go, from Japan:

BODY: (Top) Flame Koa, (Back) Honduras Mahogany
NECK: Honduras Mahogany
GRIP SHAPE: Thin U
FINGERBOARD: Ebony, 22Frets
RADIUS: 305R
SCALE: 628mm
NUT: Unbleached Bone (42mm)
INLAY: Flag (MOP & Abalone)
FRET: JESCAR FW57110-NS
JOINT: Set-neck
TUNER: GOTOH SG301-O4 MG-T
BRIDGE: TonePros® T3BP & GOTOH 510FA
PICKUPS: (Neck) Seymour Duncan CS 59/JAZZ Hybrid, (Bridge) Seymour Duncan CS Brobucker
PICKUP COVER: Honduras Rosewood
PICKGUARD: Honduras Rosewood
PARTS COLOR: Gold
CONTROLS: Neck Volume, Bridge Volume, Master Tone, Toggle PU Selector, Neck PU Mode Select Switch
COLOR: Natural / See Thru Brown

Pushead

Dave, you're the man!

A Brobucker? I may have to sell the guitar just on principle now. But probably not.

Dave R.

Nice pickup, brrrrooo...

Pushead

Cool guitar, bro. Congrats, bro. Want to get matching outfits, bro?

ESP 348

Some awesome specs there Dave! Thanks for sharing man.

Pushead

Well it was only two weeks ago that I said I wasn't sure I'd have the guts to take a screwdriver to this Eclipse. Frankly, it was longer than even I expected. It's time for the ceremonial voiding of the warranty!  (I know, I'm not the original owner, yadda yadda yadda...)

It's an excellent guitar. Very high attention to detail, as you'd expect. Finally with my preferred set of strings on it, I can get a better feel on how it sounds. The bridge sounds like a Custom 5 or Custom Custom (yes, that's actually a pickup name.) The neck is a very apt description. With the koa top, it's not quite as bright as any of the other Eclipses, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a dark guitar.

Alamodome

A very beautiful piece piece man. Congratulations!!

ESP 348

Stunning!

Dave R.

I really dig those inlays. I went abalone on my custom as well, think I'm in the minority.

Pushead

Yeah. I'm not a huge abalone guy, but it's a nice accent here. The dual material inlays are crazy. Those guys are so talented.

Post to Thread