Anyone seen a MX250 with two screw truss rod cover?

Updated
EXPcustom

I know they exists because Hetfield has a few. His wolf to man explorer has a tulip shaped two screw truss rod cover. Just wondering if anyone here has ever come across a MX250 with the tulip style two screw MX220 truss rod cover? I have a feeling it was a transitional thing and I bet if any ever got out it was maybe a handful. Maybe Hetfield was the only one who got a few?

ESPEXP

I have seen one like that before. I think it was made sometime in the 90s with that truss rod cover. I saw someone selling a black 1990s MX-250 a few years ago with that truss rod cover but wanted 7k for it. I think I talked him down to 6k, but didn't pull the trigger. It was the only one I've ever seen forsale with the 2 screw like James'. It ended up being a 1995 or 1996.

simo666

I have a black MX-220 with 2 screw bell trussrod cover think it has been repainted tho have my suspisions

Tondog

Rosewood or ebony fretboard?

ESP 348

Any pics of what you guys are talking about?

simo666

IT is ebony fretboard has some scratches on it, I will try to get pics up   this guitar

Tondog

Ah yes that one. Guitarscollector sold that one right? Was it indeed a repaint, or did they just serial number it in the pickup cavity? 

I'd be happy to take that one off your hands if you're interested btw!

simo666

Well i am suspicious of the paint finish seems not up to quality for what i have seen others to orange peal for me.

No number on headstock but yes in pick up cavity 801 number,

I have not playes it at all sat in case on top or wardrobe , I cannot get a responce form guitars collector Mr Rapparini , He also has a 220 with a step heal

Tondog

You're in possession of that one though? Yeah Allesandro did not think it was repainted but who knows. As long as it was a good paint job and the logo got put back on....good to go! Not many of the 220's with Ebony I don't think?

EXPcustom

Thats a black MX220. My friend had one like it but with a rosewood board and it got stolen out of his storage. I'm actually going to start another thread of it with pics.

That's an MX220 body, I am talking about an MX250 body with two screw truss rod cover. If you look at the ESP twitter account they have a pic of Hetfield's wolf to man and you can see it up close there.

Tondog

Anxiously awaiting this! I can't find the Wolf to Man pic on Twatter. ESP US?

simo666

Yer would be cool to see pics of that , There are a few of them made i think and the elk skull ones.

My MX220 is def fresh paint

Tondog

That's TERRIBLE! You should sell it to me. 

EXPcustom

Tondog

Some real hack work on changing out those tuners from Gotoh's to Sperzel (if they even did that) by leaving those deep tooling swirls on the face?! I supposed it could be just excess string winding and scratching. The tech doesn't care but I wonder of James looks at that and goes, "Dude!!! WTF are you doing?!"

EXPcustom
Tondog wrote:

Some real hack work on changing out those tuners from Gotoh's to Sperzel (if they even did that) by leaving those deep tooling swirls on the face?! I supposed it could be just excess string winding and scratching. The tech doesn't care but I wonder of James looks at that and goes, "Dude!!! WTF are you doing?!"

Looks like the tech used those string winders when putting on new strings. Thats what happens over time using those.

simo666

Ahh a 250 with 2screw cover very rare was this a 1990 era one, Makes me wonder if any of the special ones live the snake inlay are the same

Tondog

What makes it especially strange is that the drawing for the headstock must have changed at that time because the location of the screw hole for the bottom would normally be missing on a current MX, but all of the 220's, and apparently really early 250's, must have kept that extended area there where the screw would mount. The truss rod cavity must have moved back?

EXPcustom

I know that it changed sometime in 1990-91 they went from two screw to one screw. I even had an MX220 that was made in 1994 grey sparkle, dot inlay and it had a single screw bell truss rod cover. My guess is the tooling changed sometime in 1990 to 91. Perhaps they went to CNC so that is why the neck/truss rod cover hole changed.

Tondog

Was the gray sparkle one what we suspected was Hetfields "Fuk Em Up" guitar from the late Justice tour? I could have sworn it was a midnight purple but it could have been the predominant purple lighting they used on the Justice tour?

EXPcustom
Tondog wrote:

Was the gray sparkle one what we suspected was Hetfields "Fuk Em Up" guitar from the late Justice tour? I could have sworn it was a midnight purple but it could have been the predominant purple lighting they used on the Justice tour?

For some reason that was refered to as a satin purple finish on many websites but it was a gunmetal grey sparkle finish. I had a 1994 made recreation of that guitar with the spec sheet in mint condition. It was sold to someone in Germany, only thing unique about it was the one screw bell truss rod cover.

I later got a 1989 two screw MX220 in the exact finish. I forgot who has it now. I have seen another two for sale in Japan, so I know ESP made at least four of them over the years.

Tondog
EXPcustom wrote:

For some reason that was refered to as a satin purple finish on many websites but it was a gunmetal grey sparkle finish. I had a 1994 made recreation of that guitar with the spec sheet in mint condition. It was sold to someone in Germany, only thing unique about it was the one screw bell truss rod cover.

I later got a 1989 two screw MX220 in the exact finish. I forgot who has it now. I have seen another two for sale in Japan, so I know ESP made at least four of them over the years.

Holy shit?! Do you have pics of these? 

EXPcustom
Tondog wrote:

Yes I do, I shit ton only problem is Photobucket is holding all my pics hostage for 400 dollars.

Tondog
EXPcustom wrote:

Yes I do, I shit ton only problem is Photobucket is holding all my pics hostage for 400 dollars.

There is some very serious ESP archaeology in those pics then! We need to crowdfund getting those out of jail so we can see those!

EXPcustom
Tondog wrote:

There is some very serious ESP archaeology in those pics then! We need to crowdfund getting those out of jail so we can see those!

Honestly I don't like to take donations but if someone wants to help in putting up a website and doing it nice that would be awesome. I tried to do it all myself and accidentally wrecked the database because i was in over my head. I also don't wnat to just do a shitty wordpress anyone can do type of website otherwise I will do it again myself.

EXPcustom
simo666 wrote:

Ahh a 250 with 2screw cover very rare was this a 1990 era one, Makes me wonder if any of the special ones live the snake inlay are the same

Hetfield took deliver of this well into 1991 after the black album was released. Look at year and a half in the life of Metallica, he also has a MX250 dot with two screw truss rod cover.

ESP 348

I see the two screws now, I kinda thought thats what you guys were talking about.

simo666

Well this is a very interesting thread but i agree that those pics that EXPcustom has would be very interesting to see maybe we could help him out.

Also was the grasssroots 220 shape guitars have 2screw cover i wonder, Was there ever any LTD 220's made or was that before LTD came out

GuitarsCollector

My Mx-220 was black with ebony fretboard...the serial was under the pickup...

Almost all custom orders in early nineties does not have serial number in the back of the headstock.

Post to Thread