Custom Shop Ebony?

Updated
Custom Shop Ebony?

Does anyone here know what type of Ebony and Mahogany ESP uses on the custom shops? I ask because ever since I acquired my custom shop i noticed how much better it sounds than my ltd V with the same specs. Only the V has rosewood.

also when i went to guitar center and sam ash i picked up some of hetfields ltds and notcied the ebony looks way different. It looks like dyed rosewood?. They definitely use different woods for the high ends. Any clue where the get them from?

Andrew W.

Here's my Horizon CTM (Custom Shop) Ebony fretboard, never seen such a beautiful Ebony fretboard on a guitar. It's like looking at a carbon fretboard...

MetalliDeth

Nice looks like the USA horizon ESP fretboards ive seen at guitar center

emg3254

Custom Shop ESP K and T serial numbers are equal IMO.  I've owned several of both and there seems no difference.

MetalliDeth

I doubt there is a difference aswell, but it seems all the cool oneoff artist made guitars come from the T factory so to me it makes them more desireable. 

emg3254

The oneoff stuff comes from the T factory because they seem to do alot of the prototypes and artist approvals or not.  The actual major builds and actual detail work into production seems to usually come from the K factory.

IMO they are equal from all the Japanese dealers and ESP employees I have talked to.  To be honest most ESP employees I have spoken to online with feel the K factory is the best ESP has to offer.  They have stated that one the top line factory, even over the T.

Of course I do not know personally.  I live in the USA.  I just go by what those ESP employees I have grown to know online over the years tell me.  I've been into ESP guitars for over 20 years now and have spoken online with many ESP workers. 

MetalliDeth

Just wanted to add that if you need a cleaner and conditioner for polished or unpolished Ebony and rosewood this Music Nomad F-One is hands down the best cleaner I've used, compared to Dunlop products, Guitar Honey and Dr Ducks Axe Wax. It has no Petroleum and Wax which is also great. It made my ebony shine like new which I needed because I play this guitar everyday! I found this from Bigdaddys post recommendation. Thanks BD!!

dubster82
ESP 348 wrote:

I bet its real Ebony from Madagascar. I don't see ESP cutting corners on their top tier stuff like other companies do.

You know Jackson guitars has had a problem with getting real black Ebony (without having to dye it which I don't know if they do but some companies do) because of the scarceness of it and the price increase plus the US .gov crackdown. Look at new Jackson guitars' ebony and the stuff they put out over five years ago. I know this because I actually had a Jackson employee telling me this.

Sometimes companies will resort to using black coloring on the Ebony so you wont see any brown in it, this is due to low quality Ebony being brown to dark brown instead of black.

I think from memory reading the ESP advertisement for the new natural Ouija, it is in fact Madagascar Ebony used on the fretboard.

I can't wait to see it in person, I will be able to compare it to the KH-20 and white Ouija and see if the quality is the same. And I am sure it will be.

I can't find anything about ebony from Madagascar and ESP. Are you guys seeing the word Macassar and reading it as Madagascar? (The ESP advertisement for the LTD states Macassar whilst the ESP listing just says 'ebony')

mia

No dear I dont know about it

Post to Thread