NGD! ESP MX-II... x2!

Updated
NGD! ESP MX-II... x2!

Back in February, a friend and I decided to take the plunge and get in contact with ESP through the 'Big Boss' shop in Ochanomizu, Toyko.

We made the decision to custom order an MX-II each. As can be seen from the pictures below, they are ever so slightly inspired by a certain well known guitar...

The rosewood boards and bone nuts are nice touches, as is the lack of 'ashtray' on the back. No new 'custom shop' logos either. Just need to sort out truss rod covers!

Having played them, they are simply incredible. Totally flawless and play/sound amazing! Delighted!

Anyway, enough talk - here are some pictures!

Vinson

Nice! What is the process of ordering guitars like this from a Japan shop? What are the costs?

BlackJack21

Look online for some Japan ESP dealers and contact them. A few will respond and actually speak English so they could help you out. I haven't done it in a while, but I ordered my RVs that way years ago. You would have to wire them the money however.

Lewis_08

You simply go in, fill out the form (have a Japanese speaking mate with you!!!) and pay a decent deposit.

Pay the rest on delivery.

(Cost is dependant on what you order and spec, closer to standard issue the less the additional cost) 

Luke22

I'm just seeing this thread now...wow these are awesome! Congrats.

A little confused by some of the conversation here though. Did ESP actually do these inlays or no?? I know that about 5 years ago they would do the 220 body shape, (guess that has changed) never asked about the inlays though. 

EXPcustom

Regarding the MX220 body shape and inlays, Armand Crump, Kerry's tech got ESP of Japan to make him one in 2011. 220 Body and middle finger inlays.

Funny story, he took delivery of the guitar in Australia and the same day he went to the Metallica show. He was going to have Hetfield sign the guitar but when Hetfield saw the guitar he flipped out and refused to sign it. Then Hetfield called ESP USA and Matt all pissed why they wont make him the old shape and they did it for Armand.

Armand ordered it direct from Japan and bypassed ESP USA, still it caused all kinds of drama with ESP. Hetfield was also pissed about the inlays. I will see if I can find the pics...

Breadfan32

ESP should know better not to say no to papa het!

Interesting story.  Post pics if you can. 

Tondog

I can hardly believe that. I'm saying bullshit on the story, I'm just wondering how there could be such a disconnect between their most important artist and what he wants?! If James calls Matt up and says, "get me a new EET FUK", Matt is actually going to say, "nah...can't bro." That I can hardly believe.

EXPcustom
Tondog wrote:

I can hardly believe that. I'm saying bullshit on the story, I'm just wondering how there could be such a disconnect between their most important artist and what he wants?! If James calls Matt up and says, "get me a new EET FUK", Matt is actually going to say, "nah...can't bro." That I can hardly believe.

ESP USA is afraid of Gibson and lawsuits. This happened as in the guitar was made for Armand and Hetfield refused to sign it and got all pissed about it, especially the inlays. There were tons of witnesses when this happened including Armand's Girlfriend who was there, she actually owns the guitar now and maybe for sale. Last time I spoke with her she wanted to keep it but that may have changed now not sure. I'm sure Matt could confirm this story as well or ask Makoto Suzuki because he was the guy who authorized the order for Armand.

ESP 348
EXPcustom wrote:

ESP USA is afraid of Gibson and lawsuits. This happened as in the guitar was made for Armand and Hetfield refused to sign it and got all pissed about it, especially the inlays. There were tons of witnesses when this happened including Armand's Girlfriend who was there, she actually owns the guitar now and maybe for sale. Last time I spoke with her she wanted to keep it but that may have changed now not sure. I'm sure Matt could confirm this story as well or ask Makoto Suzuki because he was the guy who authorized the order for Armand.

Yeah, I heard that actual guitar might possibly be for sale.

Big Daddy B
ESP 348 wrote:

ESP USA is afraid of Gibson and lawsuits.

Yeah, I heard that actual guitar might possibly be for sale.

From what I have gathered ESP Japan is more afraid of Fender and Underwood Meat Spreads 

Tondog
EXPcustom wrote:

Yeah I meant to say that I'm NOT calling bullshit on the story. I missed typing that NOT part! 

Who is communicating with Armand's girlfriend to see if it's up for sale? I'm betting that would bring in $20K!

EXPcustom
Tondog wrote:

Yeah I meant to say that I'm NOT calling bullshit on the story. I missed typing that NOT part! 

Who is communicating with Armand's girlfriend to see if it's up for sale? I'm betting that would bring in $20K!

If you guys are seriously interested in the guitar send me a private message and I can see if it's available but expect it to be a lot of money as in close to 20k so if you think your going to be able to get it for cheap as in 15k or less don't bother messaging me.

ESP 348

You are a wealth of information aren't you?

EXPcustom
ESP 348 wrote:

You are a wealth of information aren't you?

I get around, or used to.

ESP 348

Lol, I bet.

Post to Thread