MX-II Nut Width 42mm or 43mm???

Updated
Munkipuss
Can anyone tell me, does the MX-II have a 42mm or a 43mm nut?
Pushead

I don't have a metric tape measure, but it's around 1 3/4" which by my high school math is 44.5 mm.

When I got the guitar, it felt very wide in the first position in terms of string spacing. It took a bit to get used do. For reference, my Eclipse is around 1 11/16" (1/16" smaller).

Munkipuss

Thank you! Much appreciated!;)

Munkipuss

Old topic, but is there any chance you could tell me what the strings spacing is like?

Is it the same as your Eclipse, or or are they spaced wider apart, in proportion to the wider nut?

Is the neck shape a Think-U?

Thanks.

Dark Alone

String spacing is generally wider on a wider neck. And surprisingly, that 1 or 2 millimeters makes a bigger difference than one might imagine.

Munkipuss

And surprisingly, that 1 or 2 millimeters makes a bigger difference than one might imagine.

Very true.

Mark K.

String spacing is generally wider on a wider neck. And surprisingly, that 1 or 2 millimeters makes a bigger difference than one might imagine.

I'm used to 42mm nuts...played a 43mm nut..didn't like it at all! WAY to wide for me IMO.

Whats up with george lynch? he uses a 45mm neck width but 43 nut width?

Major Insane

I don't have an MX-II but I thought Jaymz preferred a 42mm nut with a Thin U profile.. and I figured the MX would be the same.

but then again, maybe not ;) perhaps one of the MX owners can tell you.

sean106OCD

I don't have an MX-II but I thought Jaymz preferred a 42mm nut with a Thin U profile.. and I figured the MX would be the same.

but then again, maybe not ;) perhaps one of the MX owners can tell you.

Yeah all the JH sigs (but the JH-1 IMO Pushead chime in....I felt it mine had a thick neck) felt thinner neck wise and width wise. I am so used to the MX's and the custom MX's I had made so when I get on the IC it takes a few minutes to get used to. Plus I dunno....question for the crowd. All my guitars BUT the IC are tuned to D and Open C with EB bottom heavies.....but when I play eflat on the IC I am not as good as I am with the lower tunings. Do you guys find that you get used to a tuning and gauge that when you back to an old or other upper tuning you have issues?Thanks.

Pushead

The string spacing and width of the fretboard surprised me when I first got it. Even now, it takes me a bit of time to get used to playing it when coming from another guitar (though admittedly, it doesn't get much play time.)

Dark Alone

Gibson uses 44mm and I play those without a problem. I find other ESP necks to feel small and toy-like. Funny that the Truckster neck is 42mm but the MX remains 43 or 44.

Colin Parks ESP Artist

Is the mx the same as the exp then, as that felt perfect. I know the esp dv8 custom I had was quite cramped but nothing compared to my dean usa ml. The fret spacing in that felt like it was made for hobbits or some shit.

Gfunk

Mine is 44 mm.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Pushead

My JH-1 does not feel as wide as my MX. I'm not sure if it's any bigger from the fretboard to the back of the neck, but the MX feels a bit bigger which I assume is only because of the wider neck.

I don't have much problem changing tunings and gauges as long as I tweak the neck and intonation, on my guitars, but I typically leave guitars in tunings for extended periods of time. I guess I'm lucky enough to have several guitars to cover multiple tunings. (Sean, both the PPE and the FT are sitting in C standard.)

Dark Alone

I find when I tune higher, I have a hard time enjoying it. :lol

Colin Parks ESP Artist

i agree dark c is the way my man!

Even B however its so mushy at b you should buy a caparison hgs!

Or 7 string madness, which I can not get on with!

vdubs75

JH-1 has definitely a thick neck, always felt kind of weird to play it.

BroKV

You should see my nuts

Post to Thread