quoted $5000 - is this for real?

Updated
Hello guys, I hope its ok to start a thread about this. i'm new here, lol. Anyway, I had printed off a quote form and faxed it into ESP and the price they gave me seems a little crazy. I requested a quote on a EC-1000 with pretty much standard equipment, no custom graphics or extras. the only custom touch was it being left-handed and a neck-thru and i had the fretboard in ebony, black hardware and vintage black finish. the price came to $5250, is that correct? i've seen standard EC-1000s on eBAY for around $1200, so I was taken back by this price. Does the neck-thru and ebony jack up the price that much? I'm looking for my first guitar so I'm not an aficionado. thanks for your time
frantik

My dealer said to take the quoted price and times it by .8 and thats what (at most places) you will pay.

Scott

There is no "standard EC-1000". The EC-1000 is an LTD, and you got a quote for a Custom Shop ESP.

There is no "standard EC-1000". The EC-1000 is an LTD, and you got a quote for a Custom Shop ESP.

i meant standard as in what ESP puts on a guitar, kinda like a base model car from Chevy. i guess chose the wrong words, lol. thanks

Scott

Then you need to call it ESP Eclipse, and not EC-1000. ;)

Det Brinnande Röda

Yup.. and I guess you wanted abalone binding too, like the EC 1k? As said.. it's ESP custom, the quality will be top notch when it comes to everything.. abalone, wood and so on. Of course it will boost the price.

Dan

i've seen standard EC-1000s on eBAY for around $1200, so I was taken back by this price.

Does the neck-thru and ebony jack up the price that much? I'm looking for my first guitar so I'm not an aficionado. thanks for your time

That's because an EC-1000 is a factory made, asembly line guitar made in Korea. When you put in a quote to the ESP custom shop, you're getting a hand put together guitar with the highest quality of everything you asked for. There's no way you should be comparing an EC-1000 to a custom shop Eclipse. Way different leagues.

That's because an EC-1000 is a factory made, asembly line guitar made in Korea. When you put in a quote to the ESP custom shop, you're getting a hand put together guitar with the highest quality of everything you asked for. There's no way you should be comparing an EC-1000 to a custom shop Eclipse. Way different leagues.

thanks for clearing things up. like i said, i'm new to this. i had no idea that the custom shop guitars were such a higher quality than the factory guitars. i thought they were the same materials but you get to throw your own touch into it. sorry for my ignorance and thanks for the help.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ESPManiac

not true...Pharaoh got a MIIUC in Mahog...and Shanes newest BMF custom is going to be an ash topped horizon...and i forgot the other SS batch that Pharaoh had organised before his departure

so, you can change woods...just got have some pull

Pushead

not true...Pharaoh got a MIIUC in Mahog...and Shanes newest BMF custom is going to be an ash topped horizon...and i forgot the other SS batch that Pharaoh had organised before his departure

Yeah, he also got a few of the "Non-US" exports sent over here (BKAQ Horizons and a white Ninja).

Talk to Jason at Drumcity Guitarland. He's done a lot of people on the board well. Pharaoh was another good one, but he got another job.

Dan

That's why I said the word "usually" before hand. Those two are a tad different then say, my dealer two towns over who stocks 5 LTD models.

Brono

if his loaded then why not. But if your not made of money, dont get a custom shop for your 1st guitar imo.

sp1ke

i wouldn't get a custom for your first guitar man. there's a pretty long waiting list to get a custom. just go buy something. plus, having not played guitar before, how do you know which woods, etc. you prefer?

Det Brinnande Röda

i wouldn't get a custom for your first guitar man. there's a pretty long waiting list to get a custom. just go buy something. plus, having not played guitar before, how do you know which woods, etc. you prefer?

Sirkenzington

Most esp's (read: non-LTD's) can be ordered lefthanded, so I'd just get an eclipse-II VB
which has vintage black finish, set neck and an ebony fretboard.
Afterwards you can still change the hardware to black if you want to.

Sidivan

Seriously, you don't want to go Custom for your first guitar.

I wish I would've waited another year or two before I got my 2001 Custom. I had only been playing for 2 years (albeit 7hrs a day) and now that I have, it's a dream machine, but not 100% what I would like it to be. See, it's what I THOUGHT I wanted as a newb player, but not what I actually wanted now that I'm a bit more experienced.

For that reason alone, I wouldn't go custom. You don't have any idea what fretboard radius you want, what neck shape, what fret wire, nut material, wood, tuners, bridge setup, knob placement, scale length, or the hundreds of other decisions you need to make when getting a custom.

BlowitUp

yeah but at the same time, i dont think anybody should start out with a 250$ kit, you will sound so terrible that you will get discouraged. not to mention shitty guitars are harder to play and set up and keep in tune, i'd say hit up craigslist or something, find somebody selling and american strat near you. it'd start you off on the right scale 25.5 or 25, and then a used avt marshall or something, youll be able to sound decent and play well, you wont get discouraged... look to drop 900 total including cables and shit for a starter guitar... i wouldnt even bother with those 250$ kits, you will never get any of your money back, and if you bought that equipment used, if you dont like it you can sell it back for the same price, as used avt50 marshall and a american start will not lose value... you'd essentially be saving yourself 250$ in the long run bro, and you'd have something good to play on... leave it to the guy with the finance/accounting degrees to turn guitars into money and future investment, haha

load more replies (2 of 2)
chevy Z 302

yea and vipercustom or whatever can make it teh neck thru so it doesnt suck anymore

:rollin

Sidivan

yea and vipercustom or whatever can make it teh neck thru so it doesnt suck anymore

I Lol'd.

Sand

Crap I remember that thread |I. What an idiot.

thanks to everyone that put in their 2 cents. being that i'm left handed and the market for left handed guitars suck, i sent in the quote form for a left handed guitar not knowing they'd quote me the price they did. i thought it would be a couple grand at least. if i shouldn't go with at custom guitar as a first guitar, what do you guys suggest? i don't want to switch to playing right handed, i've held a guitar both ways and lefty is more comfortable. thanks

Det Brinnande Röda

Maybe a 400 series ltd! Those guitars rock for the buck! You won't be dissapointed.. I don't know exactly which guitars are availible left handed though.. but someone else will surely be able to suggest a bunch! Good luck dude!

Post to Thread