Young Guitar Magazine.

Updated
Young Guitar Magazine.

Now I need some Google translate .

Papa Fiq

Tetsuye Ue (FB name), translated the interview and shared it in the ESP Fanatics FB Group. Interesting interview

metalhobo

anybody care to copy/paste here for the non facebook people?

Flying Dutchmen

All Credits to Tetsuye Ue from FB 

A wide variety of guitars have appeared in Metallica's live performances over the years, and it's fun for fans to see them.  It goes without saying that the core of these is the model of ESP, which has been in a honeymoon relationship with them for about 30 years.  Here, in addition to the photos taken in this magazine, the ones provided by Mr. Matt Maciandaro, the president of ESP USA, and the ones that I visited the ESP factory to take a picture of the production ...  Let's have Mr. Maciandaro explain in detail.  First from the Kirk model. 

YG: The latest Kirk Hammett model is the purple sparkle and red sparkle model of "KH-2 Sparkle Ouija", which will be on sale this year. It is based on the black body "KH-2 Ouija" ([2]) that he used in the 90's, but you can tell me when you made the first model.  Is it? 

Matt Maciandaro (MM): Currently, ESP custom shops use high-resolution digital data when making graphic guitars.  But looking back on 1992 ...  Originally, Kirk brought in the idea of ​​using a picture of Ouija Board (a fortune-telling game board that has existed since the 19th century) for "KH-2", but I actually went to a toy shop and got the real thing.  I bought it and copied it with a copy machine in my office (laughs).  I cut it and arranged it to match the shape of the guitar.  I faxed the final draft to the ESP factory in Tokyo.  For me, "KH Ouija Natural" (D) (released in 2017) is deeply moving.  I had seen Ouija board using exotic wood somewhere, and the idea came from that.  I gave it to Kirk as a surprise and he liked it very much, but the first version used a glossy maple fingerboard, so it seems he didn't get into it.  So later I changed to ebony. 

YG: And how did the new "Ouija" come into being?

MM: First of all, Kirk asked me to make a purple sparkle finish "KH-2" with no graphics.  Metallica's equipment manager sent us some of the shells used in Lars Ulrich's TAMA drum kits as color samples.  And that guitar later led to the idea of ​​trying out different sparkle colors using "Ouija".  Using gold lettering suits both purple and red best!  By the way, we are currently using the "Ouija" design in the form of a license agreement with Hasbro, which has the right to do so.  They and ESP have a very good relationship.

YG: Going back even further ... Kirk's first ESP guitar was the black "MM-270" ([4]).  Can you tell me what kind of request you made? 

MM: "MM-270" was the name in Japan at that time, and it has always been called "KH-2" in the United States.  The guitar, which Kirk put on the body and was called "Zorlac", has been in use since 1987.  He came to a small ESP store on 19th Avenue in New York with Scott Ian from Anthrax.  And at that time, he said, "I want a guitar with a through neck, Floyd Rose, and a custom inlay," which no manufacturer made.  Until now, elements such as those and EMG pickups have not changed, and almost all successor models have similar specifications.  It's an indispensable factor for the Kirk Hammett model.  By the way, this guitar was the only one that put the skull inlay on the fingerboard vertically (the head of the skeleton faces the head side), and Kirk asked me to turn it after that. 

YG: And since 1991, the model (15) with the same specifications and a sticker "CAUTION- HOT" on the body has been used. 

MM: Since that guitar, I've changed all the head shapes of Kirk models.  The first one was too similar to Jackson.  Since then, Kirk has been using guitars with the same specifications for 33 years.  So even though the graphics are different, the original "KH-2" is at the root of it. 

YG: As you said, paintings from old horror movies such as "The Mummy" ([7]), "White Zombie" (18), "Nosferatu" ([9]), "Bride of Frankenstein", "Dracula" ...  Kirk uses a lot of models that use. 

MM: As you know, Kirk personally owns one of the best horror collections in the world.  So in the beginning I borrowed posters and photos directly from him and used them in my designs.  Nowadays, of course, I use digital data, but I still have to cut and paste the picture and redesign it to fit the body shape of the guitar.

YG: It's necessary to avoid pickups and bridges when laying out.  Besides, the number of colors that can be used for a guitar is not infinite, so it seems necessary to simplify it ... 

MM: That's right, it's a very difficult task.  So there were some ideas that Kirk brought in that didn't go well. 

YG: Another nostalgic thing is that I've been using "KH-3" (6) since 1993 ... The name at that time in Japan was "MS-290", but this was a different shape, wasn't it?  How did you come about? 

MM: Kirk is a very creative person and always keeps coming up with new ideas.  The "KH-3" was exactly the rare case where he said "I want to try a different shaped guitar" and it worked.  However, although the shape is different, the elements such as through neck, Floyd Rose, EMG ... are the same.  By the way, I'm planning to reissue "KH-3" next year.

Next, about James Hetfield's guitar.  I heard about Snakebyte and Vulture, which are the main points of the present, four years ago (published in the December 2016 issue). Could you briefly introduce them again? 

MM: James 2000  Until the year, he preferred to use the "EXP" shave scale, which is what ESP USA calls it. It was discontinued due to rights issues, but later he decided to use a different model like the "Truckster".  In 2010, he advised himself, "It's time to make an alternative to" EXP "."  That was the impetus for making Snakebyte, and in 2016, Vulture was born. As you know, these have been very successful.

YG: James's when it comes to neck thickness, width and string height.  What are your current tastes?

MM: James uses the standard "Thin U" shape, which is the most popular neck shape on ESP. The nut width is 42mm. The most important thing for James is  We always try and error in the balance when holding it. The more important thing is the weight. The lighter the better, the easier it is to continue the tour.

YG: Let's look back on the old guitars in order.  Please. I think his oldest ESP, which fans remember, is two white models with "EET FUK" (13) and "SO FUCKING W HAT" (14) on the body.  What were these specs?

MM: He used Gibson's Explorer until just before, but with a similar body shape, a slightly larger head, and of course options for the finish and inlays.  I think James wrote the letters such as "EET FUK" by himself, but when you look at the fingerboard, you can see the middle finger inlay. By the way, I first met James.  I think it was a NAMM show around 1992. At that time, I hadn't signed a direct endorsement contract yet.

YG: In the 90's, James used a tremendous number of black "MX-250", but many of them also had impressive designs.  For example, a snake with the motif of a black album jacket.  Inle ...  With the success of the work, it was strongly input to our memory. 

MM: As I said earlier, at that time James was the type who kept using the same guitar as Kirk.  However, based on the basic design model (15), he used a wide variety of variations.  That's exactly what Snake Inlay (16) says is an idea that came from a black album.  I think that James himself saw somewhere and liked the "Man to Wolf" inlay, where humans gradually turned into wolves.  Like other artists who use ESP, James often brings his own ideas and concepts and asks if he can actually fit them into his guitar design.  And it is the skill unique to ESP that makes it possible.

YG: Certainly, the first signature and model bearing the James name was the "JH-1" (18) released in 1997, wasn't it?  I remember that "JH-2" and "JH-3" (19 20 is the model that was the basis of them) were announced every year from there, that is, from the beginning, "models of different shapes are continuously released.  Was there a concept of "release"? 

MM: No, it's unlikely that any artist or model will be scheduled for release in advance.  I can't really predict when they will come up with new ideas (laughs).  Only when an idea is born can you make the first one.  If the artist and ESP like the result and agree to release it, they can put it back into production. 

YG: I had a strong impression of the guitar used in the '90s, so I was a fan of the fact that the "JH-1" was V-shaped. I remember being a little surprised.  The "JH-2" had a shape like James, but the "JH-3" had an "Eclipse" shape, so I was surprised.  Can you tell us again what kind of aim it was made at that time? 

MM: James was certainly an "EXP" bastard and now a "Snakebyte" guy (laughs), but he used to love V-shapes in the early days of Metallica.  That's probably why he wanted that shape.  And the Hot Rod Flame graphics fit the V-shape very well, and James is a car collector and a hobbyist who restores himself.  The body with the "JH-2" diamond plate is also a hobby of cars.  The "JH-3" is a model with an impressive binstrive pattern, which is also related to the custom car that James is doing. 

YG: The "Truckster" that appeared in the mid-2000s also has an impressive design with several layers of paint peeled off, and the impact of looks is outstanding.  Where did that design come from?

MM: Actually, the first "Truckster" is a repainted regular type black "Eclipse" for James.  I painted several colors, sanded, and sprayed a gray primer on top.  Does it look like a tired old car?  The "Black Truckster" is the opposite version, with a black finish on top.  This wasn't ordered by James, and I tried making it and it worked very well, so L.A.  I took it to the Metallica show at.  He liked it very much.

YG: "Iron Cross"is also based on "Eclipse", but the gold line in the body and the cross under the bridge are unique, and it is a unique design.  MM: The origin of the first "Iron Cross" was a worn-out Gibson Les Paul Custom made in 1973, which was personally owned by James.  He drew his own gold racing stripe and attached a metal cross.  When I asked, "Why don't you remake it with" Eclipse "?", He agreed.  I also thought about the special inlay on the 12th fret at that time.  And a few years later, James made a photo of a white Les Paul. He sent it to me, but it was a "white" Iron Cross "like thing" made by someone with black tape.  I saw it and suggested to make something similar again.  It eventually became the "White Iron Cross," which is still in the lineup, and was actually one of the most successful signature models. 

YG: Finally, could you give a message to Metallica and ESP fans? 

MM: Metallica is currently reschedule for the 2021 festival appearance, so I'm looking forward to it.  And ESP would like to thank everyone who has supported us for 45 years! 

Thanks reading!

Henrik S.

Thanx

metalhobo

wow, KH-3 reissue next year! I had that very question a few months ago.

BlackJack21

Thanks for posting this. I ordered my magazine today.

Alamodome

Send me a link to order that magazine BJ if you don’t mind. 

Breadfan32

Wonder if the reissue of the KH3 will be a relic version?  

ESP 348

Great stuff! I have one of these magazines coming also.

Interesting news in regards to the KH3 re-issue.

Would be awesome if it's a relic'd version of Kirk's guitar.

I would be tempted to buy one if that's the case.

RaulTx

I got it also from ebay this week, nice issue to own in our collection! (even when I do not understand a word of it  )

ESP 348

Lol, yep. I have it all printed off on A4 paper and will slip it into the magazine for future reference lol.

Snakebite

This is so cool! thank you so much for the translation too.

Post to Thread