New Kirk Hammett LTD Purple Sparkle Ouija

Updated
New Kirk Hammett LTD Purple Sparkle Ouija

Just saw this over in reddit. Seems like someone over at Guitar Centre got ahead of themselves.

Finally something from  LTD line appears visually more alike with the ESP versions (I.e. Unpainted neck, no model number on 24th fret)

https://www.reddit.com/r/espguitars/comments/cu5moe/guitar_center_accidentally_leaked_ltd_hammetts/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

RJ_ESP_Fan
Philippe S. wrote:

My feeling is that ESP is not respecting is fans for the ESP KH-2 Ouija sky rocket price and the LTD ones that are not collectables.  I am really sad…

I'm curious why you think the LTD's are not collectable? The Black LTD Ouija is certainly a collectible and becoming hard to come by. The natural has only been around for about 2 years so you can still find them easily but to say LTD's are not collectible? I don't get it.

Philippe S.

For not collectible, I am referring to the soul of the guitars that are completely different.  The pick ups are not painted, the base color are too dark and the decal is also  too dark.

It makes you feel that you have been screwed by ESP and this is probably the main reason of my unhappiness.

Of course that they will retain their value.  But why the black ones look like the ESP and not the natural and the sparkling ones.

bennyvh

back in the day, my 2nd guitar i bought was the kh-602 NTB early model with the original floyd..
played like a dream.. i would instantly buy both ltd's if pickups were painted aswell.. I don't care fingerboard radius ain't the same (almost no diff. between 12 (esp) and 14 (ltd).) And tuners you can replace if you want, scalloped > doesn't matter, i just like the looks of it. And the ltd fails to deliver bc of the pickups..

And if I could i'd buy the ESP version in a second like most people who are into these sign. guitars of their favourite artist/band..

James H.

In regards to the unpainted pickups. It comes down to production line logistics and order of operation during assembly I think.

In order for the pickup to match the finish on the guitar body they would need to be installed before the painting phase. Having sprayed metalic and flake finishes I know it is a pain in the rear and every motion has to be precise. If you are not careful when spraying the flake or metalics in the finish will lay diffrently and completely change how the paint looks. It can come out blotchy or dull looking very easily. As an example, lets say the pickups were painter laying flat and the guitar was painted vertically the colour could look completely diffrent even from the same mix batch. The smaller number of ESP's and being a custom shop build, would probably afford them the time and costs to pay attention to this small detail. 

Philippe S.

Thank you James for your input. It makes understand why they were probably not painted.

They were painted in 2009 for the black and it was probably because it was cheap to replicate.  Not cover in 2017 for the natural and not painted in 2019 for the sparkle for economical reasons.

That raise the question of how much was the premium and how much the customer would have agree to pay?

I have no problem for the uncovered pick up of the natural since the LTD still feel as the real ESP.  Unfortunately, it does feel that way for the sparkles.  Probably again the same economical reason as described by James.  That’s bring again the same question.

It would be nice to have the official position from ESP.

Philippe S.

Would it be a better business model for limited run to have a few guitars signed by Kirk at sky rocket price and more guitars unsigned at a more affordable price?

I do think it would please both the collector and the fans.

Henrik S.

How many of you have made an order on the LTD?

I placed on order on a purple one last thursday, but yesterday I got a mail that they have refund my money because they was sold out, I was lucky to find one in another musicstore.

RJ_ESP_Fan

I placed an order for both the first day they were available. The purple one should be here today and the red one hasn't shipped yet.

James H.

I was able to secure one of each. They will likely be the only two my dealer is able to get. 

Henrik S.
RJ_ESP_Fan wrote:

I placed an order for both the first day they were available. The purple one should be here today and the red one hasn't shipped yet.

Cool, post pictures when they arrive

Pushead
Philippe S. wrote:

Would it be a better business model for limited run to have a few guitars signed by Kirk at sky rocket price and more guitars unsigned at a more affordable price?

Friend, I get that you're all worked up about all of this. But ultimately, ESP is going to do what they've already decided. They decided A) the custom shop has room in the production schedule to make 60 guitars and B) they will find buyers for 60 guitars for the $12000 MSRP.

Adding more guitars to their CS production schedule may affect their ability to produce other guitars (for Kirk and others.) There are only so many people and so many hours in the day.

I suspect (and I have nothing to base this on other than hearsay) that few people are actually paying the full $12000 for the guitar. Perhaps some shops are going all out for the asking price (which is why Drum City Guitar Land had a natural Ouija in stock until two weeks ago), but I suspect some people are getting pretty good deals on them.

This is the world of specialty release artist guitars. These guitars were never intended for the likes of you or me. Be glad that they aren't offering 10 of each color specially signed by Kirk for $20,000 and 20 of each unsigned for $12000. Be glad that they aren't only offering 10 of each finish at $25000 MSRP. The LTD versions are there to appease "the fans" who can't afford to drop the price of a nice used car on a guitar.

If you're that upset that ESP is doing it wrong, buy the LTD version and have it refinished. Or buy a regular neck-through M-II and have the inlays put in and then refinished. Show them that it could have been done better and for cheaper. That's what I did 12 or so years ago when the original runs of the Iron Cross came out at $10000. I built a replica out of a used Gibson LPC and did it for 30% of the MSRP of the ESP.

I sure showed them.

Alamodome

Enough said my friend. 

Philippe S.

I do now agree with you that signed guitar would not be  a good solution for the community and I am sorry that have propose it.

I have seen the pictures of your iron cross and it was a beauty.

Philippe S.

I agree that LTD should be available for the higher numbers and therefore it is important to lower the cost as much as possible.

For the ESP, it is not just a question of cost, since they are mainly due to American and Japanese markets. Switzerland dealer will have none and French & Germain dealers have placed orders and received no order confirmation.  Maybe they did and reserved them for their most important customer and that is totally acceptable.

We have ESP for the collectors and LTD for the fans.  I forgot that there is an in between brand E-II and why not make the Ouija also available in that brand.  It makes sense I my opinion to please the full range of fans and makes the painted pick-ups available more broadly.

Pushead
Philippe S. wrote:

I forgot that there is an in between brand E-II and why not make the Ouija also available in that brand. 

Because it would take away from the market for both the LTD and CS versions of the guitar. Some of the people who will drop around $10k on the CS version may be swayed enough by a "correct finish" version E-II version to instead buy both finishes for around $4-5k. But I don't think people considering the CS version would bother with a not quite right LTD.

alebtart

For those who haven't gone out to see S&M2 (was at the George Street showing in Sydney last night), highly recommend you make it a priority!!!! Our 2 new babies are front & centre in the concert! 

Alamodome

I’m here now my friends at the Palladium in SA TX. 

alebtart

Ah crap I accidentally deleted the double up with your reply  @ESP348

Pinian

I'm ready for this now I'll be looking for esp fans in the audience!

alebtart

Enjoy guys! 

ESP 348

Hope you all enjoy boys, I will watch the DVD.

RJ_ESP_Fan

Got my purple one yesterday and have one open spot left for the red one 

Updated with the fullsize images and I'll try to get some better pictures when I get the red one.

(i guess the board resizes the pictures automatically)

Pinian

Fantastic! Congrats on the latest additions. The purple looks great with the other Ouija's! Can't wait to see the red next to 'em.

Thanks for sharing!

Henrik S.

Very good looking guitar, cant wait till mine will arrive.

Nathan S.

Very nice collection, better go fro the LTD KH sweep and get yourself a kh603, kh25, and kh dc!

Nathan S.

Forgot about the Demonology until Pushead mentioned it further down.

Post to Thread