KH Purple Sparkle Finish; ESP vs LTD

Updated
Jack W.

Hi guys, does anyone own both versions (ESP and LTD) of the KH Purple Sparkle? 

I'm quite interested in the LTD version, but the finish colour seems a bit 'off' on the LTD. Looks more pink maybe? Whilst the ESP version has a really deep purple.

I obviously expect quality and variations between the two versions, but I've never seen a picture of them next to each other to get a good idea. 

I suppose the lighter Pau Ferro board on the LTD might make it look lighter in general, I dunno. Any help would be great! 

Thanks guys 

Alamodome

Jack W.

The difference isn't too bad. Any other shots you have in better light? I feel like that's where the difference shows. Thanks for the reply though mate! 

Alamodome

The light on the bottom of both of them is a reflection of our Christmas tree at the time. 

boogie
Jack W. wrote:

Hi guys, does anyone own both versions (ESP and LTD) of the KH Purple Sparkle? 

I'm quite interested in the LTD version, but the finish colour seems a bit 'off' on the LTD. Looks more pink maybe? Whilst the ESP version has a really deep purple.

I obviously expect quality and variations between the two versions, but I've never seen a picture of them next to each other to get a good idea. 

I suppose the lighter Pau Ferro board on the LTD might make it look lighter in general, I dunno. Any help would be great! 

Thanks guys 

I'm thinking of selling my LTD purple sparkle if you are interested?

Jack W.

Not yet mate. Not too sure on it just yet. Thanks though!

boogie

No problem. In regards to the finish. I find that it's pretty dark compared to pics I've seen of the ESP version. It's more of a grape purple.

James H.

The ltd's I compared mine to when I picked it up were much darker. The paint was not as deep and the flake was slightly different type/size when compared to the ESP. We compared the ESP to 3 different new in box LTD'S.

Guiguitarz

Sorry to have to say that but : The difference is huge. The LTD is a toy compared to the craftmenship quality of the ESP.

To be honest I just played the LTD like 20 minutes and I won't play it anymore (because I've got many others guitars ...)

Also I don't like the back of the neck/headstock painted, they do that because that way, they can hide low quality woods for the neck construction.

Jack W.

That's a real shame. Unfortunately 4,000 is a bit too much for me. Thanks for the advice though mate.

Guiguitarz
Jack W. wrote:

That's a real shame. Unfortunately 4,000 is a bit too much for me. Thanks for the advice though mate.

If you're ok with LTDs so far, it's ok. But if you have tasted some ESPs some days, you'll be disapointed.

I think, I'll take out the BoneBreakers from mine and put them on one of my next customs ...

ESP 348

Recently saw both side by side in a guitar shop, the LTD is definitely darker than the ESP.

As can be seen in the pictures posted here.

ProfessorExp

I have the LTD and I think it's pretty nice considering that it's a quarter of the price of the ESP. It is much darker than I was expecting though. This picture is the guitar on my bar with a ceiling light shining straight down on it. When it's hanging on the wall, it almost looks black without direct lighting.

Jack W.

It does look great. 

The LTD is also much more accessible in the UK, whereas the ESP would probably have to be shipped over and end up costing even more. 

I just don't understand the extra £3,000 difference, I know the ESP is much better quality but come on... 

I'm really unsure so far, what are the pros and cons of the LTD? And do you have a few more pictures? 

And I see it has the limited KH BB's with his sig on! Funny enough I was wondering how it'd look with those in, as to me the plain black EMG BB's look a lot cheaper. 

ANY help will be very helpful! Thanks man.

ESP 348

I just don't understand the extra £3,000 difference, I know the ESP is much better quality but come on....

I own almost all the KH models. This one is by far my #1 out of all of them. And it's the cheapest one! Just do it you won't regret it.

Still the number 1 fav man? Because of the pickups you think? Or overall just an awesome guitar?

ProfessorExp
Jack W. wrote:

And I see it has the limited KH BB's with his sig on! Funny enough I was wondering how it'd look with those in, as to me the plain black EMG BB's look a lot cheaper. 

I forgot about the pickups. I did swap out the black ones with a set of the signature ones right when I bought it, then sold the black ones to recoup some of the cost. The guitar sounds and plays great, but I’ve not played an ESP to compare it to. All mine are LTDs. I’ve never been disappointed with any of the more expensive LTDs (~$1,000+). The cheaper ones can be iffy. 

James H.

Unless the ESP is store stock, they are built to order in Japan. My wait was about 8 months.

Alamodome

Agreed, I waited almost 9 months. Yes, also would agree with Big Daddy on just pull the trigger there will be no regrets on this purchase. Being I own both there is a big difference on the action on the neck. However I use to share the same feelings on spending that kind of money until I purchased my first ESP. 

Guiguitarz
Alamodome wrote:

Agreed, I waited almost 9 months. Yes, also would agree with Big Daddy on just pull the trigger there will be no regrets on this purchase. Being I own both there is a big difference on the action on the neck. However I use to share the same feelings on spending that kind of money until I purchased my first ESP. 

My answer wouldn't have been better. All is said.

Alamodome

Absolutely correct. 

Post to Thread