NEAT MUMMY FOR SALE

Updated
NEAT MUMMY FOR SALE

I saw this originally on the ESP, LTD Facebook page and thought it looked neat. Price not outrageous if it was genuinely was what they said it was. Does anyone know about this creation? He said he bought it off Reverb about 2 years ago from Slovenia. Fretboard redone, and it's painted and not a graphic.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-674311428-esp-custom-shop-kalorff-mummy-kirk-hammett-_JM#reco_item_pos=0&reco_backend=machinalis-gauss&reco_backend_type=function&reco_client=navigation_homes&reco_id=a4478e88-54f2-4a0f-84cc-603e9c8e0b9b&c_id=/home/navigation-recommendations/element&c_element_order=1

Nathan S.

Anybody else notice only 2 screws holding the pickup rings on, 1 in each opposing corner. And no screw holes for trem cover?

James H.

Yeah, looks like the reverb paperwork is useless. Did he supposedly buy it from Reverb or a seller on Reverb? I have never recieved a letter on Reverb letterhead when buying from a seller. It would be intresting if Reverb could offer some insight. Otherwise, the paperwork is as good as a shit ticket! 

Good catch on the trem cover Nathan. Looking at the back of the headstock. The comments on the font are correct, definitely looks "odd".

I could be mistaken, but I think when I was looking at EMG kits 6 or so years ago, they were still hard wire. They could have been old stock too.

I love a good detective story........

Tondog

From what I could tell, he bought it off of Reverb from a guy in Slovenia but there is no reference to that there either. I'm thinking this guy got took and is looking to pass the pain on, or maybe he genuinely doesn't know, but either way, he's not going to pay for his wedding with a guitar!

Tondog

So like the show Mythbusters, are we saying this one is "Busted!"? I'm assuming now they started with one of those Chinese ones and worked it up from there, but the Chinese ones don't typically have that good of artwork (the headstock aside) on them so they would have had to have taken the additional steps of fixing all that too. That's a LOT of work!

James H.

It's "Busted" in my books.

Given the amount of work to fix the Chinese one. It would have been easier to start with a neckthrogh LTD and work it from there. I agree the body graphic is probably the best Chinese one to date. Whoever did it was talented, unless it is a very good decal clearcoated. You should be able to see a line in the clear where the decal ends and the body colour starts. It is hard to hide, but could be done with enough effort.

Offer him $200 see if he bites. Definitely a conversation piece, but it needs to get out of circulation and the paperwork burned. 

Tondog

I believe it to be "busted" as well. ESP will continue to work on verifying anything from that serial number, but they all but concurred with my assertion that ESP would never issue a certificate of any kind if they hadn't done ALL of the work in house. So I contacted my guy and he didn't even protest. He said, "well that's how I bought it, and I'm not an expert on guitars of any kind, let alone ESP's." I told him he'd never be able to sell it as anything but a Chinese ripoff because anyone who knows what the Mummy is, knows what the story is. They just don't exist in the wild. Even that one rumored to be in the hands of an ESP exec. who might have sold it, would come with that provenance, and at least a note from the seller saying it was legit.

Well at least we know there is one floating around with the intent of passing it off as real. He tried it once, it's likely he'll do it again. It's one thing to own a Chinese knockoff and have it pass no further from your front door, it's quite another thing to polish it up and try and sell it as real. 

ESP 348

Is this where it came from perhaps?

And had the fretboard scalloped later on?

https://www.dhgate.com/product/custom-kirk-hammett-ltd-kh-3-karloff-mummy/393624966.html#s2-13-1b;searl|0186146771

Guiguitarz

Price of an original Floyd Rose 

i told ya

Tondog

James H.

Wow!

They have upped their counterfeit game big time............ The best part is where they added pictures of the originals in the mix with their copies.

AK

Look at the exclamation mark on “It comes to life!”. Completely different compared to the original.

Post to Thread