NEAT MUMMY FOR SALE

Updated
NEAT MUMMY FOR SALE

I saw this originally on the ESP, LTD Facebook page and thought it looked neat. Price not outrageous if it was genuinely was what they said it was. Does anyone know about this creation? He said he bought it off Reverb about 2 years ago from Slovenia. Fretboard redone, and it's painted and not a graphic.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-674311428-esp-custom-shop-kalorff-mummy-kirk-hammett-_JM#reco_item_pos=0&reco_backend=machinalis-gauss&reco_backend_type=function&reco_client=navigation_homes&reco_id=a4478e88-54f2-4a0f-84cc-603e9c8e0b9b&c_id=/home/navigation-recommendations/element&c_element_order=1

Raf

Strange, I thought ESP never made any Mummy, except for Kirk ...

Tondog

They didn't....but like all things, when something like this comes up, it begs the question how?

Raf

Right! I’m very curious to know the real story of this guitar!

James H.

Hmmmmm. 

Looks like a quality job regardless. Wonder what ESP would have to say about this one. Would also be nice to see what the Reverb letter says, my eyes suck! There was an ESP executive that had one made that Kirk bought back was there not? Or am I confused!

If that's 90k Pesos I'm in. If it's 90k USD he's looking to pay back some of that Medical school. 

Tondog

Nah it's just pesos....which makes it all the more head scratching. If this was really something ESP signed off on, I would think it would fetch more than that.

James H.

Same here. Hell at around 4k USD I'm almost interested.

ESP 348

Definitely very interesting.

I think it's just a good 'knock off'. Not great, but very good.

Would be nice to know where the fuck it came from but.

Anyone know Spanish to have a chat with the lad? lol

Tondog

Exactly my thought....which makes you wonder why anyone would bother trying to make up a phony COA when anyone who knows anything about the mummy guitars is going to know this ISN'T one of those! Seems like a waste of time.

Nathan S.

Did Kirk own the rights to that artwork back at the time he had the first mummy's made?? 

Tondog

According to him he did because he owned the original 4 panel piece and the studios that produced those movies are long since gone. He had acquired rights to a lot of movie props and artwork in an estate sale of either Lugosi, or Chaney, or one of those old actors.

Sephiroth

Before seeing better pics I assumed this was Gs that he made and sold, but this ain't it.

I doubt the CoA is real but interested to hear back on what ESP have to say. It has scalloped frets, I wouldn't say that's to the spec of the mummy guitar as the CoA says? When did Kirk start getting his guitars with upper frets Scalloped? after 2002? this guy ahead of the curve? Inlay is slightly off so would assume he got the fretboard blank or with dots first?

Is the positioning of the floyd rose an issue? It looks wonky compared the space it sits in, almost touching the front of it on one side. https://http2.mlstatic.com/esp-custom-shop-kalorff-mummy-kirk-hammett-D_NQ_NP_815287-MLM29824366780_042019-F.webp

The headstock ESP logo is wonky as #$%# 

Nathan S.

Truss rod cover looks a little goofy in that pic as well, tapered way more than typical ESP trc.

Nathan S.

Maybe it's just the weird angle its sitting to the nut that makes it look off. Be interesting what ESP has to say.

Guiguitarz

Fake as hell. 

Space between knobs is wrong. Knobs are wrong. It’s not a real Floyd Rose btw. TRC is wrong. Scalloped job is a joke. 

Serial number font is a joke. 

Nice work on certificate but ... naaahhh.

nice job of our Chinese friends.  

Tondog

How can you tell on the Floyd?

Guiguitarz
Tondog wrote:

How can you tell on the Floyd?

At the first sight I saw the bottom of it, and the shape and the finish looked crap. 

This guitar doesn’t have even Gotoh tuners ($55 the six in-line...) so a $245 Floyd would be the price of the whole joke 

ESP 348

Ok, I just had a good look at the pictures again and what Sepi just posted.

Yep, it's definitely a Chinese knockoff.

I see the style of font used for the BS serial number as G just mentioned, definitely wreaks of Chinese BS.

I think someone purchased a Chinese knock off and then had someone make/fit the scalloped fretboard and those inlays.

Good, but not good enough.

Guiguitarz

Not good at all 

I'm sure it's unplayable, too light and sounds like plywood with strings on it.

James H.

So he needs to come down 4,000% and the buyer needs to tear up the fake ass paperwork. I hate when people try to pass off these "tributes" as original, just unethical. Can anyone tell what that Reverb printout says? I'm just currious now, lol. The body graphic is one of the better ones I've seen. Too bad the headstock does not follow suit, definitely hand painted as a poor attempt to copture the colour and texture of the original logo. 

Tondog

Alright fellas....I got him to send a pic of the Reverb paperwork. Not sure what to make of that other than it's more fake certification.

Tondog

Tondog

I next asked him for a pic inside the control cavity. The inlay work is decent at least!

Tondog

When did they invent the plug and play EMG's again? 

Post to Thread