ESP Relic VS Vintage

Updated
JEFFJWNZ

Hi,

I just bought an authentic ESP relic - one of only 100 made.  From what I gather this is the top tier of all ESP KH-2s.  Are there any significant differences in the vintage and the relic aside from the extra TLC and the fact that only 100 were made?  This model has a signed COA by Kirk Hammet and I think there are only 100 ever made + Kirk owns a few of them.  

Since only 100 were made, who got to buy them when they were released?  I would think that people would’ve been keen on owning these - was the MSRP more than the production vintage model?

Any info is appreciate.

Raf

Hi,

I’ve had the chance to own both.  I sold the Vintage when I bought the Relic.  Mostly for the limited serie.

Honestly the difference is not huge ;-)

Maybe the wood choice is different for the Relic?  Same material but different selection?

What you will see on the picture is the different colors of the fretboards.  Also the harware is black chrome on the Vintage, but this is because of a stupid European law some years ago.

Which number did you get? I have the 69 ;-)

ESP 348

First of all congrats Jeff!! Please post some pics of this beauty and tell us the serial number if you don't mind sharing.

I am trying to remember where I read the information in regards to the differences from the Relic vs Vintage.

There are some differences, nothing too crazy from memory. I may have got the information from the person I purchased my Relic from, so I will check my emails and double check that.

If not, the information may have been posted here on the forum in the past. I will try and confirm it all before I post anything, but someone might beat me to it which is ok.

Shane from BMusic is a wealth of information, he might be able to pop in and share some details with us also when he has some time.

I own #23. This is not the greatest picture sorry, but it's one of the only pictures I have of it.

You can definitely see the difference in amounts of 'relic' #23 has compared to #69.

Raf

They were more motivated on the first ones, much more relic’s one the #23 than on the #69!

I’ll try to post some more detailed pictures of my #69 later ;-)

ESP 348
Raf wrote:

They were more motivated on the first ones, much more relic’s one the #23 than on the #69!

I’ll try to post some more detailed pictures of my #69 later ;-)

Yeah, you're not wrong in regards to the relic.

Cheers mate, that would be nice to see.

JEFFJWNZ

#55 thanks for the reply!  If anyone sees this and has a MX250 for trade PM me. 

JEFFJWNZ

JEFFJWNZ

Who were these guitar sold to? If only 100 were made I would image there was some sort of list or something - who ended up with the first ones and was the MSRP the same as the vintage?

Sephiroth

I have both and the only thing I've noticed (ignoring the relic finish) having both in my hands is that the vintage has a tint on the neck and fretmarkers, as well as the neck width maybe being slightly thinner as I'm more prone to pull the high e string off the fretboard. Different pickups as well.

Vintage :-

Relic:-

Guiguitarz

The specs on the Vintage series may vary depending on the year of production. (PUs, neck tint, ..)

I know that the guy who sold me his Vintage bought a Relic then after; and he was honest enough to tell me that he preferred the Vintage (overall feeling).

ESP 348
JEFFJWNZ wrote:

Who were these guitar sold to? If only 100 were made I would image there was some sort of list or something - who ended up with the first ones and was the MSRP the same as the vintage?

I think anyone could have purchased them man. A lot like the new Natural Ouijas. Only 25 made in the world, but first in best dressed.

And I think the MSRP was $10,000 from memory. Which is the same as the Vintage, yes.

ESP 348
Guiguitarz wrote:

I know that the guy who sold me his Vintage bought a Relic then after; and he was honest enough to tell me that he preferred the Vintage (overall feeling).

Yep, I haven't played my Relic as much as my Vintage over the years, but I think my 2005 Vintage sounds and plays better than my Relic. The Vintage is one of the best sounding Hammett guitars I own.

Guiguitarz

And I've got the 2005 edition also, I think we got a "good Millésime" here. Such a brilliant piece of craftsmanship. 

Pims
Guiguitarz wrote:

And I've got the 2005 edition also, I think we got a "good Millésime" here. Such a brilliant piece of craftsmanship. 

2008 was pretty good too

Road King

Wasn't the relic reasonably priced, like $2500? This was way back in 2001 or 2002, correct? Boy were people fuming when they found out more relics would be made under the "vintage" name. 

JEFFJWNZ

Where are you getting $2,500 from? ESP 348 was saying 10k MSRP and I know on guitarscollector website it is the same as the vintage model (around 5k).  

The real deal relic is freaking cool though. Owning one of these guitars with 0-100.. knowing that Kirk plays the same guitar and stuff is cool.  I think he owns a few of them so there are even less in existence.   

Going to enjoy owning this one

ESP 348
JEFFJWNZ wrote:

Where are you getting $2,500 from? ESP 348 was saying 10k MSRP and I know on guitarscollector website it is the same as the vintage model (around 5k).  

The real deal relic is freaking cool though. Owning one of these guitars with 0-100.. knowing that Kirk plays the same guitar and stuff is cool.  I think he owns a few of them so there are even less in existence.   

I am quoting Aussie dollars, I think it was $10K Aussie dollars like the Vintage is/was.

But that's retail, I don't think anyone ever pays that of course.

Road King
JEFFJWNZ wrote:

Yeah, he was quoting AUD, which threw me off. I'm getting $2500 (USD) from my memory, but I was clearly asking for clarification. And I mean prices you actually paid, not msrp.

Prices were much cheaper back then, no $12K ESPs like today. The relic was sold around 2001-2002. A regular bolt on KH2 was only like $1300 back then (over $3K today). Regular people on the forum were buying the relics. Less people were using the internet back then, so it wasn't hard to snag a relic if you ordered one early.

ESP 348
Road King wrote:

Yeah, he was quoting AUD, which threw me off. I'm getting $2500 (USD) from my memory, but I was clearly asking for clarification. And I mean prices you actually paid, not msrp.

Prices were much cheaper back then, no $12K ESPs like today. The relic was sold around 2001-2002. A regular bolt on KH2 was only like $1300 back then (over $3K today). Regular people on the forum were buying the relics. Less people were using the internet back then, so it wasn't hard to snag a relic if you ordered one early.

We used to get ass-fucked prices paid back in the day here in Australia.

I paid AU $4650 for my brand new 2001 KH2 bolt on.

US $1300 at the time???? Lucky bastards!

dubster82

What am I playing here? It's one of Kirk's, serial# No.001, I don't think it had a tint on the neck but it was very dark in the room but it looks to have a 60 in the neck. Vintage or Relic? It felt really nice to play.

Guiguitarz

Relic upgraded with EMG60.

And headstock broken nowadays ... 

This is a bit out of topic but I saw that that he upgraded his Jackson RR with the non-signed edition of his BoneBreakers.

dubster82
Guiguitarz wrote:

Relic upgraded with EMG60.

And headstock broken nowadays ... 

This is a bit out of topic but I saw that that he upgraded his Jackson RR with the non-signed edition of his BoneBreakers.

Yes I noticed that too, looks quite good actually.

Guiguitarz

??

Pims
Guiguitarz wrote:

??

Remember the French saying, Jamais 2 sans 3, which is a direct application of the Ménage à trois

GuitarsCollector

ahah sorry...I will fix,it

Guiguitarz

Post to Thread