Metallica guitars at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Updated
Metallica guitars at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I was in Cleveland, OH for work a few days ago and had time to check out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Among all the cool stuff they have there I was pleasantly surprised to see a few iconic Metallica guitars on display. They have Kirk's Zorlac and Wavecaster guitars, as well as James' Trussart Explorer and the double neck Horizon that he was playing during the Montreal pyro accident. The bass that Robert auditioned with and one of Jason's were there also. Here's some pics.  

Dominic D.

I kinda expected that double neck guitar to show signs of burns and stuff. 

Pushead

I'm surprised at how often they move those guitars around. I'm local to the Rock Hall, and every time I'm there, they have the guitars displayed in different places. I've never seen the Trussart Explorer or the double-neck there before.

ProfessorExp

I almost walked right by the Trussart. It’s in the hallway when you’re leaving the theater that has all the lighting effects and stuff. 

ESP 348

Awesome pics man, thanks for sharing.

Tondog

The Trussart was just a blip on the radar in time though wasn't it? I don't recall that one ever getting played more than about one song did it?

ProfessorExp

It made the rounds during the Death Magnetic tours, but yeah, not a popular one. 

Guiguitarz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ctqJTbqKi0 

Arrrgg can't remeber the trick to make the video thumbnail appears ...

Pushead

Yeah, and he played it at the induction ceremony, so there's some connection there, as well.

ProfessorExp

I'm an idiot and realized going through my other pictures that I didn't even notice Cliff's Rickenbacker! 

Pushead

The last time I was there (last summer?) they were in the walkway area (in the open) where all the stage costumes and things were. I can't believe how small some of these stars are. When you see these costumes life-sized and reasonably up close, some of them are absolutely tiny.

They've redone the entrance area, but the first time I was there, you could actually see the Met guitars without paying to get in. They were in a case that you saw at the bottom of the escalators before ticket booth. They have the CBGB awning in that area now.

Tondog

Wonder what the writeup is in front of Cliff's base is?

...and Jesus Mary and Joseph Kirks solo there was off key and embarrassing.

ProfessorExp

It's the handwritten lyrics to Whiplash. I posted these on reddit too and somebody posted a better picture of it. 

https://imgur.com/ivw1Vgy

Pushead

Minus points for only having 6 strings on the 12 string neck. I want my money back.

Nathan S.

Looks like there's 12 on there to me if you zoom in. Gets a little fuzzy but they all appear to be there.

Collision
Nathan S. wrote:

Looks like there's 12 on there to me if you zoom in. Gets a little fuzzy but they all appear to be there.

True, visible if you look at the tuners .

alebtart

I knew it! The original zorlac always had his name on the top of the headstock just like the KH-2 Vintage and Relic. The old photos showing him playing the Zorlac were always a bit hazy to decipher the writing and to add to the confusion there are old Zorlacs with the "Custom" writing next to the ESP logo, but thanks for sharing!

VinnieInc

Do we know what the serial is on Zorlac to try and date it?

ESP 348

I am pretty sure there is no serial number on the back of it from all the pics I have seen over the years.

Could be there, but VERY hard to see if it is. The serial number on the back of my Zorlac headstock is very noticeable and I can't see anything on Kirk's Zorlac in that same area which makes believe it doesn't have a serial number.

Alamodome

Definitely a must place to visit soon. Thanks for sharing. 

ProfessorExp

Here’s a creepy one I forgot to upload before. The back of the double neck where you can see  the outline of James’ burned hand.

Tondog

Flamed maple!

ESP 348

Wow!!

ESP 348

Just watched this video of Metallica playing on the 1993 EMA awards show. Kirk playing the Zorlac in early 1993.

Post to Thread