KL Explorer Suggestions

Updated
Connor L.

Hi all,

First post ever! So I'm in on this round for Ken's builds, and I would really love some suggestions regarding woods/pickups/etc. from anyone who has a KL already.

I am thinking I likely want a macassar ebony top, possibly a quilted bubinga if Ken has a piece as stunning as Het's #2 KL. If I go ebony, I would likely get a matching fretboard. 

What I'm really curious about is the pickups. Anyone have any experience with emgs vs passives in a KL? I have only played passives, and I feel like the tone is better/more useful for all types of music than emgs. However, I feel it would be wrong to get a KL and not put in the Het Set, as that seems to be standard in his explorers. (Sidenote: I play a lot of Metallica, but I also play various other genres, mostly classic/hard rock/classic metal. Not much heavier modern metal in lower tunings besides the occasional Gojira)

Also...stainless steel frets vs. the standard Japanese pyramid frets? Not a huge deal but I'm curious about SS frets and if they're worth the extra $200. 

Thanks all, glad to have finally joined the forum after reading for quite a while! Feel free to ask me any other questions about what I'm planning for the KL build, or anything else about my other guitars/playing, I love to talk about everything!

Connor

Breadfan32

First post ever and it has nothing to do with an ESP signature series guitar.  Not off to a good start. 

Connor L.

There's a group of people on here who own KL's and seem to like to talk about them. There's no KL Forum, so it doesn't seem too ridiculous to ask around on here. But hey be snotty about it, that works too. 

Sephiroth
Connor L. wrote:

There's a group of people on here who own KL's and seem to like to talk about them. There's no KL Forum, so it doesn't seem too ridiculous to ask around on here. But hey be snotty about it, that works too. 

Have you tried asking some questions on his Facebook page?

That gets some traffic. 

Connor L.
Sephiroth wrote:

Have you tried asking some questions on his Facebook page?

That gets some traffic. 

Haven't yet, I'll definitely try that though.

Breadfan32

I’m just getting you going man.  It just seemed funny that your first post in the signature series section has nothing to actual do with an esp signature guitar.  

This thread probably should be in the general discussion section but not too much goes on here so it doesn’t really matter.

Im sure a few will chime in.  A few people here have KL’s.   

Connor L.

Yeah it definitely is a bit ironic. Maybe once I get my hands on a KH I'll be able to actually talk about ESP sigs. It just seemed whenever I saw stuff like KL for sale it popped up in this section, but yeah general seems like the other best place to have put it. Oh well, thanks though. 

ESP 348

I can't offer any suggestions mate, but I want to welcome you to the forum and please be sure to post pictures up of the Explorer when it arrives.

If you are only placing your order now, I assume you won't be seeing it for a year or two?

Connor L.

Thanks, glad to have finally joined!

I just placed the order in Jan. when the window opened. Haven't had much discussion with Ken yet, as he is finishing up previous rounds right now. I'll be sure to post pictures, even though that will likely be a couple years from now  

Pushead

The sound of the bubinga is going to be pretty different sounding than the sound of the ebony. If you're really after a specific sound from the guitar instead of picking based on the look of (his awesome selection) a piece of wood, talk with Ken. He's super knowledgeable about the characteristics and matching of wood.

I did a video comparison of my all mahogany MX vs a luthier built cocobolo topped explorer and the sound difference is pretty significant. I can't find it at the moment to share.

Connor L.

Not really going after a specific sound as much as I am basing my choice off the wood's visuals. Just can't around over-trebly sounds, which I know ebony can sometimes be. I do enjoy the sound of Het's bubinga KL though. 

I'm actually surprised there would be such a huge difference by changing the top. I would expect some difference in tone, but not to a large degree. 

Definitely excited to start discussing more with Ken once he gets onto my order cycle. This is my first time working with a luthier, so it will definitely be special. 

Thanks man. Share that video if you end up coming across it!

dubster82

You're in for a long wait. My mate put his order in a loooooong time ago. Still not started it yet.

Connor L.

I don't mind it too much, I think the wait is kinda part of it. I can go to a store and get a Les Paul or whatever whenever, so waiting makes the KL that much more special. Not that the wait won't be excruciating 

kirkfan30

Hi 

I have a KL petroglyph from 2009 and it plays superb... I have the EMG het set installed and I can say it sounds just like james. I would go with the upgraded frets, on an 8k guitar don't go cheap ;-)

Second kl is incoming for me too, 80 y old brazilian rosewood neck, snakewood fretboard and macassar ebony top. All very very rare woods! 

Cheers 

Connor L.

Brazilian rosewood neck....woof. Are you getting a darker wood/stain for the body? I've been thinking if I go ebony for the top, i would want a darker neck and body to hide the line between the dark ebony top and the rest of the guitar.

Is there an upcharge for macassar, opposed to the chechen? Not that it will be a factor in my choice, I've just been curious about it. 

You'll definitely need to share what you think about that guitar when you get it, it sounds absolutely killer 

kirkfan30

actually the one I was talking about is a second hand one from a friend that I am buying soon. He has barely played it since it was made in 2009 and wants to sell, the other one I have is his old (as new) petroglyph kl (just like james'). The rare woods are just not out there anymore so you can not get that kind of guitar anymore unfortunately. I asked Ken, almost all rare woods are gone... Snakewood is especially rare!!!

Connor L.
kirkfan30 wrote:

actually the one I was talking about is a second hand one from a friend that I am buying soon. He has barely played it since it was made in 2009 and wants to sell, the other one I have is his old (as new) petroglyph kl (just like james'). The rare woods are just not out there anymore so you can not get that kind of guitar anymore unfortunately. I asked Ken, almost all rare woods are gone... Snakewood is especially rare!!!

Damn. Hopefully I get lucky at some point in the next few years and he gets some in, otherwise I'd probably just go for a bubinga or chechen top. Do you have pictures of the ebony one you're getting? Don't seem 'em too often 

Sephiroth

I'm still waiting on my first kl  ordered Jan 2014 .

Are stainless frets worth it? What is a good resource to read up about them?

Connor L.

There are various forum threads, most say they are nice because  they're extra durable. 

What's your KL's specs? 4 years waiting is tough.

Sephiroth
Connor L. wrote:

There are various forum threads, most say they are nice because  they're extra durable. 

Just Jame's original spec'd petroglyph. The bubinga one I ordered in 2015. Put a 3rd deposit down in 2017 for a ziricote if he finds a nice example.

Picked out the woods when I visited his shop in 2016. I highly recommend you go up there and visit him if you can. He had about 40 different tops to choose from when I visited.

Connor L.
Sephiroth wrote:

Just Jame's original spec'd petroglyph. The bubinga one I ordered in 2015. Put a 3rd deposit down in 2017 for a ziricote if he finds a nice example.

Picked out the woods when I visited his shop in 2016. I highly recommend you go up there and visit him if you can. He had about 40 different tops to choose from when I visited.

I'm really hoping I get the chance to make it down to his shop. I've noticed with Het's bubinga exp that in some lightings it looks absolutely amazing and almost 3D, and in some it doesn't look quite as nice. Did you notice this with the bubinga you saw at his shop? I am really considering bubinga if I can't (or maybe even if I can) get an ebony top. 

Also, your chechen top is the nicest piece of chechen I have seen (rivals Het's for sure). Wow. It's making me really consider chechen a little more now, so thank you for sharing that 

ESP 348

So now it's up to and over a 4 year wait for a KL Explorer???

Does he work one day a week or something? lol.

He must have A LOT of guitars on order if it's up to a 4+ year wait for one of his guitars.

Connor L.

When I asked in October he said 28-36 months, so 4 years really surprises me. Maybe he was working extra hard on JH's newest exp, so he put all other builds on hold? Only theory I have, other than him having a bunch of orders on top of that. 

ESP 348
Connor L. wrote:

When I asked in October he said 28-36 months, so 4 years really surprises me. Maybe he was working extra hard on JH's newest exp, so he put all other builds on hold? Only theory I have, other than him having a bunch of orders on top of that. 

Yeah, dunno mate. He just finished making another Explorer for James named "Carl". If you haven't seen it already, it's truely amazing I must say!

Ken must have a lot on his plate if its a 4 year wait for one of his guitars. There has to come a point where he stops taking orders until he catches up on the work surely?

I mean, what if something happens to Ken in that time? 4 years worth of orders, x-amount of customers deposits, no one to carry on his legacy?

Sounds like Ken needs to train someone up to carry on building these guitars when he is gone. I nominate myself to carry on his legacy.

From now on, we will call them Pap Lawrence guitars.

Connor L.
ESP 348 wrote:

Yeah, dunno mate. He just finished making another Explorer for James named "Carl". If you haven't seen it already, it's truely amazing I must say!

Ken must have a lot on his plate if its a 4 year wait for one of his guitars. There has to come a point where he stops taking orders until he catches up on the work surely?

I mean, what if something happens to Ken in that time? 4 years worth of orders, x-amount of customers deposits, no one to carry on his legacy?

Sounds like Ken needs to train someone up to carry on building these guitars when he is gone. I nominate myself to carry on his legacy.

From now on, we will call them Pap Lawrence guitars.

I have seen Carl. That inlay is something else, I must say. 

I'll for sure help you out with the Pap Lawrence's, I'll just need everybody to send me their KL's so I can "study" them 

Luke22

Any updates here for any soon to be KL owners? Connor did you ever pick a top yet? 

Connor L.

Hey Luke,

Just actually got photos from Ken today. He quoted me 28-36 months, and I ordered Jan 2018, so we are finally getting there!

For the top, I am either going chechen or bubinga. I have a chechen top that I'm leaning toward, but I've asked him to send me video/well lit photos of the bubinga tops since he said it can be hard to tell how they really look without actually seeing them in person.

Once I lock in my choice, I'll be sure to keep y'all updated with pics!

ESP 348

I hope Ken's health is 100% taking on all these 3 to 4 year orders.

Lluis  A.

Hi! 

any news on those KL??

i will place an order in January!! 

Post to Thread