• Big Daddy B
      HateEvent wrote:

Congrats Big Daddy! Just the purple sparkle to arrive and that’s you taking the KH collection to a whole new level!

My goal has never been to have the biggest, just a bunch of pieces that capture the flavor if Kirk's career and are fun to play.

• Big Daddy B
      MetallicaBeh wrote:

Big Daddy, you are truly a Big Daddy of KH guitars collector!!! love this guitar!!! amazing!!! 

Lol thanks was just responding to HateEvent on that. There are some things I don't have that other collectors do...zorlac, KH-1, Gibson V, other monsters. I am fortunate to have some unique pieces of my own though.

• Tondog

Forgive the aged senility setting in here but... This is not one of the 2 that we recently saw under a Christmas tree, but rather another order from the original artist?

• BlackJack21

Congrats man, finally another one has surfaced! Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. Cheers.

• Big Daddy B
      Tondog wrote:

Forgive the aged senility setting in here but... This is not one of the 2 that we recently saw under a Christmas tree, but rather another order from the original artist?

correct. Those 2 belong to BlackJack. This is #3. #4 is going to a guy in Indonesia but is delayed due to some other work the artist is doing. #5 is going to another board member. Not sure if there are any orders beyond that.

• Road King

Which dealer is ordering these?

• Big Daddy B
      Road King wrote:

Which dealer is ordering these?

Any can. So far I know of 2 dealers that have. I did have one dealer that ran into problems getting pricing.

• Big Daddy B
      BlackJack21 wrote:

Congrats man, finally another one has surfaced! Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. Cheers.

Not the wait, but it was well worth it. It has actually been done and ready since Oct/Nov. Fucking governments! Mine came with a jap black case instead of Tombstone which is fine. I have a Tombstone with the Demonology.

What do you think of the sound playability? Loving the neck but sound wise, I think the painted covers are taking off some of the brightness, maybe a little too much for my liking. No disappointments though it is everything I hoped it would be and more.

• BlackJack21

I like the sound for what it is, and agree love the neck. My last KH had painted covers so I didn’t have much of a comparison, but thought the zombie sounded a little bit better. Though I’m not sure if the rosewood over the ebony had anything to do with it or not.

To be honest though, I’m not really a fan of the 81s anymore and have been using Blackouts for a while now because I think they are a bit brighter of a pickup imo. Seems like they have less bass and more mids in them. Anyways, I will leave the 81s in the zombie, but wish they were Blackouts.

And shouldn't the post be el zombi blanco? 

• Big Daddy B
      BlackJack21 wrote:

I like the sound for what it is, and agree love the neck. My last KH had painted covers so I didn’t have much of a comparison, but thought the zombie sounded a little bit better. Though I’m not sure if the rosewood over the ebony had anything to do with it or not.

To be honest though, I’m not really a fan of the 81s anymore and have been using Blackouts for a while now because I think they are a bit brighter of a pickup imo. Seems like they have less bass and more mids in them. Anyways, I will leave the 81s in the zombie, but wish they were Blackouts.

And shouldn't the post be el zombi blanco? 

I thought about adding the blanco but looked sillier and less evil. Does your zombie have twin 81s? I went 60 in the neck and specified 400 radius. I also specified factory Schallers but they forgot them. The Schallers I got ont he KH-3 from the factory had different stamping on the bottom of the collars then I had seen in the past. Maybe a Japanese thing. For the sparkle I was going to go 60A because I generally like their alnico pickups better but when I saw the BB set  is essentially the same I was like whatever. I liked what I heard in G's demo but those are uncovered ones. These  will have metal covers like the Mirror. Mirror sounds great to my ears as well. I like it better than the Zombie from a sound perspective. I would say I notice more of a different with the zombie and the ouija natural than I ever did with the black ouija or the demonology. I figured thicker layers paint/wood on the covers of the former.

What should I do next any suggestions? Thinking about the sunburst KH-3 but it's not a very exciting option.

• BlackJack21

I meant to say EMGs instead of 81s, it's a 60 at the neck. Yea idk you have 18 Kirk guitars now, would be cool to see one Big Daddy custom guitar in there.  Maybe customize your own KH-3 type if that's what you're looking for? Not sure if you need another M-II at the moment.

• Big Daddy B
      BlackJack21 wrote:

I meant to say EMGs instead of 81s, it's a 60 at the neck. Yea idk you have 18 Kirk guitars now, would be cool to see one Big Daddy custom guitar in there.  Maybe customize your own KH-3 type if that's what you're looking for? Not sure if you need another M-II at the moment.

i have thought about doing that in the past. I would just have a single vol config with whatever switching is needed. Probably a sa/sa/81 set up with a  tortoise shell guard over black. Rosewood board. Not sure about the inlays. maybe Ouija stars or something new. I never really thought about doing a KH-3 shaped custom but I like it very much.

or maybe I design my own horror theme for the Shining or Creature from the Black Lagoon or Hills have Eyes or Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Jaws.

I could use another hardtail perferably M2 type shape though! Like the Ryden would be perfect. Was also looking at a reissue strat. Think Rock Am Ring 2006. I pretty much stick with the guitars used lived. Teuffel Tesla?

• dubster82

Fantastico 

Looking forward to future group shots

• Big Daddy B
      dubster82 wrote:

Fantastico 

Looking forward to future group shots

I don't have a couch or bed that big

• Guiguitarz

Next investment ... Can't wait for the next NCD of Big D ! 

• Big Daddy B

Man I'd almost need to switch over to panoramic mode hahaha

• Guiguitarz

+

• Big Daddy B

Yep i'd definitely need to shop in the sectionals department

• ESP 348

Great to hear you love the Zombie man, is the back of the neck gloss or satin?

• Big Daddy B

I went gloss on mine but I know others have elected for satin. I like both, simply went gloss because that was Kirk-spec. The mirror is satin, feels great. I can't say I have a preference one way or the other. I will say the satin finish is better than what they were using 20 years ago. That stuff used to end up being gloss the more you played it.

Update on the Sparkle. Just found out it gets here Thursday. 

• ESP 348

Thanks mate, I just saw you said you loved the neck and was just wondering.

I would order gloss myself, love the gloss necks on the beck of these guitars.

• Flying Dutchmen

Beautiful guitar.... I would be scared to even touch it 

• Big Daddy B
      Flying Dutchmen wrote:

Beautiful guitar.... I would be scared to even touch it 

You don't know how scared I was restring it and polishing it yesterday. Especially after a 2+ year wait can you imaging a screwdriver slipping and gouging it?I will say the lack of TRC helps you restring it without worrying about scratching the headstock

• Stonecat

Now that’s a sweet guitar.

Post to Thread