Rate the New Kirk Hammett ESP Recent Custom Guitars

Updated
Rate the New Kirk Hammett ESP Recent Custom Guitars

what a wild 6 months or so it seems to have been I can't really recall a time where they released 3 KH guitars this fast (I did not include the LTD purple sparkle, the white zombie even though that was either an ltd from back a bit or the white zombie ESP custom as well as the LTD demonology and other recent LTD's NOSFERATU or i think im missing one more.... but out of the ESP demonology guitar ESP ouija natural and the coming ESP purple sparkle. which one appeals to you the most ? why ?

which KH sig or custom do you use the most or in your opinion find to be your favorite ? Why ?

dubster82

Of course Kirk having 5 painted Mummy guitars isn't far fetched, but as ESP is a business it also makes sense the first one would be painted and then scanned. That way whenever another is required it can just be printed, applied, coated over and sent. I still don't understand why people continue to believe that a wrap would in any way be bad. This guy Chris Painted the Flames on the JH-1. Do you think he sat and painted all the production guitars? Were the production JH-1's LTD's? It is VERY normal in a business to hand make the first of something, the prototype. The original is usually scanned and reproduced. I'm not saying the Mummy Guitars aren't all painted, I assumed they aren't because I don't assume that just because Kirk is "practically the face of ESP, and in the biggest metal band in the world" that he demands that his guitars must be airbrushed only. Does airbrushing sound better?

Years ago all guitars were hand made. Carved by luthiers to a certain shape. Now they are carved in a CNC machine. Does that make them worse? no of course not, its progress of a digital age. It's completely reasonable to expect that designs are applied as a wrap to guitars these days because its way cheaper and waaaaaaaay quicker. Of course, ask the Custom Shop to custom paint something for you they're gonna if you're willing to pay.

I don't know where you are getting the impression that I am somehow questioning the work of ESP's painting skills, that's just mental. I also don't understand why you have seemed to take this so personally.... "I have two painted White Zombies", oh... Well, I'm sure they were gold plated before paint was applied, diamonds were ground down and mixed in the paint and the head of ESP guitars himself licked it, because I'm sure Kirk "practically the face of ESP, and in the biggest metal band in the world" Hammett would expect only the best, and so should you.

Chris (whom has painted countless guitars for ESP and other manufacturers over the years) probably doesn't quite understand how the industry works.

For a recap, I have not stated the White Zombies that people have bought are not airbrushed. I have not stated that Kirks' White Zombie is for sure a wrap. I have not questioned the ability of ESP's builders. I have not stated the Kirk's mummies guitars are wraps (though the pickups and rings have worn to a suspiciously looking white vinyl rather than the black the materials of the said items are). I passed on a comment about 2 of KIRK's guitars from a very close source, not related to other similar guitars that other people may own.

ESPEXP

The ESP JH-1’s were painted by ESP. Chris painted James’ original but ESP did paint all 200 of the ESP JH-1 signature series.

Dave R.

Correct, they are all painted. I own one myself.

As far as the mummy pickup wear looking like white vinyl, understand they need to have a base coat to work with. They wouldn't paint directly onto a bare textured EMG pickup. The 'white canvas' needs to be established first. You are seeing that base coat emerge as the original paint chips over the years.

BlackJack21

Ha nothing personal man, just stating what Dave R. posted about the matter a few years ago as this gets brought up time and time again. Totally get that decals save time and money, but don’t think they need to do that with one of their top clients that brings in major revenue and exposure each year. Not saying that decals are necessarily a bad thing, but just saying. It’s not like he’s ordering a 100 of these things.

Like you said though, ESP is a business, and I think if they had a decal version of Kirk’s Zombie, they would of offered it on an ESP version similar to the ESP Wild Scythe (which offers both decal and painted versions). It would only make sense since they still pay to use the rights of the artwork no matter how it's applied to the guitar.

Cheers

NRudy

makes sense-  but maybe unless kirk is a bit mad, he uses the decals to destroy and abuse and the originals if airbrushed maybe he doesnt abuse them on stage step on them and bang it on his ass etc..

Dave R.

The decal use is absolutely referring to the LTD models. Those are hi-res Photoshop recreations based on the original KH painted ones (White Zombie / Nos). Obviously you need that for a cost-effective large run. The ones for Kirk were painted using design composites for reference as well as photos of Kirk's original posters. His ESP White Zombie is hand-painted as well as Nos. 

Chris was not involved in the White Zombie and Nos models or the LTD recreations.

As I said earlier, his work on the Bride was fantastic, he is a true talent.

NRudy

either way most of the time with james or kirk they dont use the sig series model guitars after the required amount, will ESP offer even in a custom shop the JH-1 with green hot rod flames ? as they did for this custom sorta JH-1 ?/ jh-2... really not at all a limited run just a custom shop of the best of the jh-1 and 2 imo.

Eskadi

Hmmm I'm looking for this KH2 Vintage : https://reverb.com/fr/item/9921314-esp-kh-2-kirk-hammett-metallica-vintage-rare-custom-shop-artist-signature-kh2-guitar-ohsc-coa

'Looks pretty nice, the price isn't so high too ?

Post to Thread