• Big Daddy B

Advice Sought: Kemper Profiling Amp

I know this isn't the proper forum but thought I would post here since it is where most of my friends here frequent. I have a chance to buy a Kemper Profiling Amp bundle with foot controller from Musicians Friend. Normal Price is over $2200 but with my in store credit from the Ouija plus their 15% Cyber Monday deal, I can get it for less than a grand. I previously demoed it head to head with the Line 6 Helix floorboard at Sweetwater in October and prefer the Kemper with its knob based adjustments.

My question is if there would be a benefit for me to get powered vs unpowered. The real drawback in my mind is I read the powered only has a mono output and I would prefer to run stereo into a pair of powered FRFR speakers BUT my concern is will there be enough volume for gig type situations. I only do a gig every 2-3 months but we pump a lot of volume. We have a vocal PA, bass, drums, 2 half stacks and approximately 6-8 practice amps running near dimed in a small 10x15 space. Will I get enough volume with a pair of powered FRFRs? I am hoping so because I want to keep the rig as portable as possible with no piece weighing more than ~35 pounds. That would be ideal. Also reason why I would go with the head and not the rack version.

Anyone use powered FRFRs live? Any thoughts?

• Pushead

I've played but not gigged one. Don't worry about volume, run it through the board and through the PA at the gig. All you need it a monitor big enough for you to hear yourself on stage. I'd run a separate monitor of just me, and then whatever the normal stage monitor situation is for everything else.

edit - I'd go rack version all the way.

• Big Daddy B

well I don't know if that is an option. it could be but we have never run anyone but vocals thru  the board. Have you ever used powered FRFRs before? I am hoping to eliminate volume from them as a concern. On the other hand, someon else tipped me offer Kemper is now offereing stereo 1/4" outputs on the Powerhead so may be a moot point. May just grab that and call it a day. I can get some lightweight unpowered speakers and still be able to do any exotic ping pong delays and whatnot.

• Pushead

Yes, but I don't remember what it was. As long as it can hold the power of what you're feeding it, it shouldn't be a big deal. I'm not sure what the Matrix power amp is rated, but you should be able to get more than loud enough to gig.

• Big Daddy B

yeah if I end up going with the powerhead then it is 600W so no real volume concerns at that point. My main concern was the mono output but looks like that may have been resolved. I let you know if I end up getting it. My guy there didn't say anything about the 15% off not applying. if it doesn't I will probably wait.

• Pushead

My concerns were sort of the same in the opposite direction. I have a Torpedo Live in my rack to eliminate the need for my 4-12 cabinet. I'd plug it into the board and have a 1-12 cabinet for me to monitor myself.

But it seems the bulk of my gigging days have passed. I suppose I should start downsizing, but I still like playing through half-stacks and selecting guitars that match my outfit.

• Big Daddy B

yeah thats just it. If I was going to build a rack I would just do a separate power amp but I am trying to make this rig as portable as possible.

• Pushead

Get a small rack case that has wheels and a handle, and select a FRFR that you can carry in the other hand and you're all set.

• Big Daddy B

Looks like I may be holding off. My rep at MF is now saying he cant use the cyber monday coupon code on Kemper. So there is no longer any real advantage to me buying it today. He did say he could price match but I couldn't find anyone selling it below list let alone at 15% off. I might as well just wait and see what happens after the holidays as far as coupons, price drops and such. I don't really need it until Feb.

• ESP 348

Decisions decisions.

• Big Daddy B

Well as I said MF could not honor the coupon code but they told me they would price match. I contacted Sam Ash. Sam Ash would give me the discount but all the had was the Powerhead not the unpowered. I got it in writing. So now my MF guy is trying to get his boss to approve the discount for me on the non powered because it is a less expensive model anyway. Hope to hear back any minute. If they won't I will probably pass. Between the 15% and my in store credit the bundle would only cost me $967 out of pocket thru MF. If no 15%, I might as well wait. I don't really "need" it until Feb.

• ESP 348

Good prices you have there mate. The Kemper amp here is AU $5500 new and I see them for sale used asking around $3500 to $4000 and they sell very fast!

• Big Daddy B

So I found 2 dealers willing to give me 15% off. I rather go thru MF still. They are supposed to let me know in the morning. If not, I will take the 15% from the o ther dealer and use my MF credits for the speakers. Hope to get it all hashed out tomorrow. 

• Breadfan32

Get it.  I would love to try out a kemper or axe with some of the Metallica profile tones you can download.

• Big Daddy B

Oh I am. I am thinking it will be cool if I can just download patches for songs in the band camp I will never play again. Won't have to spend time creating my own patches. Regardless of which dealer, I should have it in my hands by the weekend. I can at least use it with phones until I get speakers.

• ESP 348

Cool man, let us know what you think. From everything I have read, they are the GO!

Cancel