ESP JH-3.....

Updated
emg3254

who here still owns one?  I do and still love and play mine pretty often.

Kind of sad James never plays his anymore.  Guess it's one of his 500-1000 guitars in storage these days.

I think it was one of his best ESP Signature guitars since it was full LP thickness and just has a look that is killer.  

Personally would love to see James bring it back in the rotation from time to time.

ESPEXP

I sold mine years ago...I agree tho, it was the best of the “JH” series and liked that it wasn’t bolt on. I wanted to pull the trigger on the prototype/NAMM one with the gold knobs and gold pickups awhile ago but didn’t pull the trigger cuz they wanted $5k for it.

emg3254

Yeah, $5K is extreme in this guitar market.  Hopefully you can find one for more decent in the future if you want one back.  Changing to gold pickup knobs and EMG's is simple and fairly cheap these days, if wanted.

Breadfan32

You don't see too many of these around now.  Another guitar people seem to speak highly of.  You guys are making me want to get a new guitar!

Post some pics if you can.

ESP 348

They are still commanding big bucks these days aren't they?

I haven't seen one for a while either, but I am sure they were still circa US $5000 for them.

Great looking guitar, I have never had the opportunity to play one but would be nice if I did one day to see what all the fuss is about.

Sephiroth

I love the clean tone of mine.

Xlarge

emg3254

Looks great!

kirkfan30

I have one, my best guitar ever!!! They don't come up for sale very often and if they do and are in good condition be prepared to cough up some serious $$$$

ESP 348

Awesome guitar Sepi!

Mazze F.

Yeah it's one of the holy grails of Jh sigs... Would love to get one but if if I can get a signature KL of my own for the same price I would go with the KL anyday...

But that's just me :-)

But I agree, it's a shame James doesn't user it more in a live setting.. But I guess he has the white IC for that :-)

emg3254

KL's are awesome but I personally can't wait for 2-3 years for a new guitar and I doubt you can find or get a new or used KL for the price of a JH-3.  Even if you buy a JH-3 for $5K-$6K it's still cheaper than most Ken Lawrence guitars go for. 

The JH-3's sound and play amazing also.  I've played a few KL's from forum members and loved them to death!!!! but IMO they don't really play or sound any better than my JH-3, Kelly Hayes, etc....  They do look amazing and play and sound great though. 

emg3254

Brian6262

I myself would be willing to pay good money for one... if anyone is interested lol

ice

It's one of OK guitar, not the best but worth collecting..

Mazze F.

U got 2 of them ?? :-) Wouldn't mind buying one of them. if you're interested in selling that is :-) Do u have COA's for both ?

Pushead

I'm surprised it has the shallower horn of the modern Eclipses. I thought it was old enough to have the older, more curved horn.

emg3254

It is way way old enough to have the longer curved horn but I'm guessing James personally wanted the shallower horn.  The body thinkness is full LP though.  The JH-3 is one of the first models ESP did in the more LP shape.  Before the JH-3 the ESP Eclipses were the older Eclipse style.

Nathan S.
emg3254 wrote:

It is way way old enough to have the longer curved horn but I'm guessing James personally wanted the shallower horn.  The body thinkness is full LP though.  The JH-3 is one of the first models ESP did in the more LP shape.  Before the JH-3 the ESP Eclipses were the older Eclipse style.

If you look at the one that Het is holding in the 1999 catalog archives, it has the more rounded deeper Gibsonesque horn, so it's odd the public version has the newer horn.

emg3254
Nathan S. wrote:

If you look at the one that Het is holding in the 1999 catalog archives, it has the more rounded deeper Gibsonesque horn, so it's odd the public version has the newer horn.

Not really.  This is about the same time ESP had issues with Gibson and their Explorers.  I'm sure that is why James and ESP decided to change to the shorter horn.  James seems to prefer the shorter horn on his ESP's for better upper fret access.  I personally wish it had the more Gibson style horn but it is what it is and I love the guitar.  If I want a Gibson I'll play the ones I own or buy a Gibson.

Nathan S.
emg3254 wrote:

Not really.  This is about the same time ESP had issues with Gibson and their Explorers.  I'm sure that is why James and ESP decided to change to the shorter horn.  James seems to prefer the shorter horn on his ESP's for better upper fret access.  I personally wish it had the more Gibson style horn but it is what it is and I love the guitar.  If I want a Gibson I'll play the ones I own or buy a Gibson.

Sorry man but I have to disagree. Papa Hets does not have the same horn as the production model for the public.

Breadfan32

Ice

What guitars do you still have? 

ice

If my memory is correct

2 KH-20

2 JH3

JH1

Truckster

White/Black Snakebyte

White Iron Cross

MX250

Grynch 

KH2 Relic

KH4 Fuck you

KH30

KH2 NT Mummy (Paint Job)

Ouija (1994)

KH1

Zorlac 

KH-SE

LTD Kill em all / White Zombie / Light the lightening

Not sure, if there are more.... 

SteelEdge
ice wrote:

If my memory is correct

2 KH-20

2 JH3

JH1

Truckster

White/Black Snakebyte

White Iron Cross

MX250

Grynch 

KH2 Relic

KH4 Fuck you

KH30

KH2 NT Mummy (Paint Job)

Ouija (1994)

KH1

Zorlac 

KH-SE

LTD Kill em all / White Zombie / Light the lightening

Not sure, if there are more.... 

Hey Ice! That's a hell of a collection!

Is your 1994 Ouija Neckthru like mine?

Do you have pics?

I'm trying to track the other ones as the one in Mexico turned to be not an original.

Guiguitarz

If U want to get a KH-20 out, let it me know ;-) 

ice

This pic was taken probably 7-8 years ago. The one in the middle is my friend's Ouija Neck-Thru with Reverse inlay.. Well, I gotta say he bought it at crazy price and doubt about whether it's real or not.

Beside the inlay, everythings looks normal just like other KH2 . The inlay looks like crappy work. All graphic turns yellow, but looks like other 2 Ouija (1994) that we have. I have some high resolution pictures of the inlay, since my friend sold it to Japanese guy I'm ok if you want those pics. 

Reversed inlay Ouija really rare, and I believe this is in the pic might not be the real deal. 

Alex C.

Do you still have the KH 1 and would you be interested in selling it?

Dmc83

Want to sell jh3 ?

Post to Thread