Kh-2 vs ltd snakebyte

Updated
Vince P.

Hey guys, I'm at a bit of a crossroads and seeking advice. I currently own an ltd kh-602, which I've owned for about 8-9 years. I absolutely love the guitar. Now I'm looking to pick up a second ESP. For the same price (1700 Canadian) I have found two guitars and can't decide. My options are either to get the ltd snakebyte or a used esp kh-2 (non ltd) that's in mint condition with case and certificate. So do you think it would be worth it to get the higher model ESP of which I basically have or to get the new style snakebyte. Thanks for the help in advance   

Vince P.

Also the kh-2 comes with the certificate but there is no serial number on the headstock. Is that normal?

Pushead

That's not particularly normal. Do you have any pictures?

Vince P.

Ya I do 

ESP 348

Guitar definitely looks mint, definitely looks legit...............but that is definitely strange that it doesn't have the serial number on the back of the headstock.

What is the serial number on the COA?

Vince P.

I was doing some research on these forums. Apparently ESP didn't have serial numbers on the headstock for production kh-2 from 2000-2003 or something like that. So that would make sense, especially because he has the certificate and case along with it

Breadfan32

I would go with the KH2.  I would offer $1500 cash.  I think that is a very reasonable price.  If he can get more than great but that's probably the reason why he won't.

Snakebyte is awesome too.  You should get the KH2, sell the KH602 and buy a used snakebyte with that money!

Vince P.

I offered $1500 before but he had refused. I think at $1700 its still pretty much the cheapest I can find for that condition. That idea would make the most sense, but I just wouldn't be able to part with the 602, I've had it for almost a decade and it was my first real guitar  ahah

Breadfan32

Are you from Ontario?  

Vince P.

Yep

Breadfan32
Vince P. wrote:

Yep

There is another KH2 mint in Toronto seller is asking 1600.  He is also selling a white zombie for 800.  I'm sure if you picked it up and offered $1500 cash he might take it.

I sold mine about 5 years ago for $1250.  Most I could get at that time.

Vince P.

Yeah I saw that, I was actually looking at that one also. I just figured for $100 more and a two hour drive it would be better to get the kh2 selling for $1700 because it comes with the certificate and is in mint condition. The one in Toronto doesn't have the certificate. But I guess its also an option

Breadfan32

I've owned three esp snakebytes before.  I love them.  Haven't tried an LTD version but the LTD stuff is pretty good.  Of course you cant go wrong with a KH2 either.  Let us know what you end up doing.

Vince P.

Will do, thanks for help. If I do go with the kh-2 I'll definitely keep my eyes open for a snakebyte or even an mx250 in the future 

ESP 348

Hello Vince,

I own an standard ESP KH2 from 2001 and it has a serial number on the back of the headstock.

I also own an ESP KH2 CS from 2003 and it has a serial number on the back of the headstock also.

I don't remember reading anywhere here on the forum where these guitars didn't come with a serial number circa 2000-2003.

But all good, there were possibly many exceptions like this guitar you have here. What year does it say on the COA?

Vince P.

Hmm ok, interesting. This guitar is from 2000 I believe, it's hard to make out on the COA. Here's a link to one of the other threads on this forum I read about someone with a similar situation. 

http://www.espguitars.com/forums/1963224/posts/2076072-kh2-serial-number 

ESP 348

Thanks Vince, I remember that thread now.

It's all very interesting alright and I don't have an explanation sorry.

But still purchase it, that guitar looks mint man!

Vince P.

Ya thanks for the help. I think it's legit, I mean it has the certificate also so I'm not too worried

Breadfan32

Guitar is legit for sure.  Personally I wouldn't care about the serial number. 

ESP 348

Definitely legit and looks great in those pics man.

HateEvent

For me personally, it'd be the KH-2. 

Vince P.

Hey guys, I ended up going with the KH2 . Just received it today. Thanks for all the help and input

Vince P.

Previous owner had it down tuned, so I'll probably bring it in to a guitar shop tomorrow to get it all set up. I noticed some stress cracking or little lines along the base of the guitar face where it angles down. Is that common, it is an old guitar made in 2000. Its very hard to capture in picture but you can tell in some lighting. Also I found the serial number on the back of the guitar body.

ESP 348

Congrats on the guitar man. You made a great choice, you will love the KH2.

I can't tell where the stress cracks are that you speak of man.

Mine is an 01 model and I don't have that on the body anywhere. So I don't think it's very common as I don't recall anyone else talking about it and my 1991 "Zorlac" doesn't have them either in the paint.

Vince P.

Thanks, I'm happy with my decision

They're very hard to see through pictures, couldnt really capture it. I'll be taking it in for professional set up tomorrow so I'll ask the guitar tech about them

ESP 348

Please do and let us know what he thinks.

Vince P.

So apparently the term is called finish 'checking'. Basically its very fine hairline cracks that occur in the guitar due to drastic temperature changes. "Checking can result when the temperature changes. As the temperature increases or decreases, the instrument’s wooden body and neck expand or contract at a different rate than its finish, causing the finish to crack." The tech did say it was fairly common and doesn't effect the tone or sound at all. Interesting to know

Post to Thread