Wonderful Addition to the Living Room, NGD......

Updated
Wonderful Addition to the Living Room, NGD......

Not sure if people still do this at this dumpster fire of a forum, but hey what the heck.............

Tis a 08' Vipre 400, with a 85/60 combo.  Has a matching headstock (obviously) which I thought looks great, but thought they came with a black headstock, meh I dunno.  Thing sounds fantastic!.  I am very pleasantly surprised the EMGs sound as good as they do, but I think I wanna try a Custom 5/Jazz combo next.  Needed a complete setup and fret polishing.  Smelled like it was stored in a 50 butt ashtray.  After a half a bottle of simple green, it was acceptable again.  Not sure about this earvana thing, may opt for a tusq.  This pig has offset mid size Grover rotos, does anyone know a direct replacement locking tuner?  Will the minis fit?  Methinks it is a keeper for $450 shipped. 

Think it is time for a new loveseat, sheesh............

Also, does anyone know if I can turn this black chrome crap into just plain chrome?  Alcohol is not doing the trick, maybe muriatic acid or a base of some kind, possibly?  Thanks!

Pushead

No flanks?

No good advice for getting rid of the black chrome, but that's a pretty hot Viper.

Gfunk

Mi Pusberto, lo siento.

I will do better, I promise. 

Soon.

tx-ogre

Very nice.  I have a couple of Gibson SGs and love the body style.  Congrats.

metalhobo

nice one, funkalicious

do you want to swap out the grovers because you don't like the beans, or do you want a mechanically better tuner? edit: duh, reading fail. you want locking tuners. I'm no help

also I would ixnay on trying to strip the hardware finish. it won't turn chrome, just a dull grey, based on the wear patterns of my M-I NTB. best to swap it out, or live with it.

Gfunk

Thanks hobo. 

I don't need locking tuners, who am I kidding, I haven't played out in 15 years, lol.  After playing it for the past few days I am considering not doing anything, it really sounds and plays great. 

Side note:

I am not sure if the neck is still settling or if the earvana nut is messing with my ears but the thing is perfectly in tune and then if I play a certain run or phase and it sounds out.  I check it again, and it is still perfectly in tune, but I swear it sounds the slightest bit flat.  It is strange.  Maybe I need to lay off the sauce.  Meh, maybe not, lol.

edit:

I must of cranked the truss rod too far @ 15 or 16 thou of relief.  I just straightened it back to 11 or 12 and it seems more stable.  Nvrmnd......

Gfunk

Ahhhhh...............

Much better, methinks:

Lovin the chew of the custom 5 so far.  Think I will try a custom custom next, yaay!

Gfunk

I replaced the stock mini standard Grovers with locking mini Grovers.  Work great.  Same concept as the locking Gotohs with no thumb wheel.

I read sometimes you may need to add a wrap to smaller gauge strings.  $60 shipped, not bad.

The new turners look decent with the tarnished old bridge and tail piece, so I will not be replacing them.

hobo, let me know if you want the black chrome ones.

metalhobo

the tuners? shit, if you asked me a week ago there's actually a project I could have thrown them on but I already got new gotohs for it so I'll pass . thanks tho

so are those auto locking grovers like the old-style gotoh magnum locks where they clamp down when you tune up? and you need to use a coin or a pick or a screwdriver to loosen the top of the mechanism to remove the strings? I always preferred that style of locking tuner compared to the thumbwheel. less hassle and stuff. I wish the ones gotoh made were still available on esps, but they're so hard to find nowadays compared to the thumbwheel ones. glad you can still get grovers like that.

Gfunk

No biggie, I will send them to you regardless if you still want them.  You will put them to better use than me, lol.  Shoot me your addy.

Yes, the locking Grover minis are just like the locking Gotohs that you like.  Very reasonable and easy to install. 

Pushead

Looking nice!

Post to Thread