LTD EXP200 rebuild

Updated
LTD EXP200 rebuild

G'day 

So I have 4 years ish ago now I bought an LTD exp200 off a fellow forum member. Then late 2016 I purchased an MX250 from the USA and I went over and personally picked it up, with the purchase of the MX250 came a dimond plate as seen on the James Hetfield JH-2s and some decal deer head inlays as the guy was going to mod the mx250 to a replica JH-2. Now I own the guitar and the parts he was going to use I won't be doing it to the MX250 however the LTD will be getting the treatment, 

So the plan is to have the dimond plate fitting to the body of the guitar

New gotoh bridge

New ebony finger board to replace the rosewood one, Jumbo frets with real MOP inlays using the decals as templates.

Bone nut

And sperzal locking tuners.

The dimond plate was made using a real JH-2 plate that was removed of the guitar as a template.

So far the ebony finger board is been shaped and the inlay templates are been worked on, other then that not much else has progressed yet. I will get some pics of the dimond plate and the finger board if I can this weekend but so for here's the before pic of the guitar. 

Nathan S.
Dominic D. wrote:

G'day 

So I have 4 years ish ago now I bought an LTD exp200 off a fellow forum member. Then late 2016 I purchased an MX250 from the USA and I went over and personally picked it up, with the purchase of the MX250 came a dimond plate as seen on the James Hetfield JH-2s and some decal deer head inlays as the guy was going to mod the mx250 to a replica JH-2. Now I own the guitar and the parts he was going to use I won't be doing it to the MX250 however the LTD will be getting the treatment, 

So the plan is to have the dimond plate fitting to the body of the guitar

New gotoh bridge

New ebony finger board to replace the rosewood one, Jumbo frets with real MOP inlays using the decals as templates.

Bone nut

And sperzal locking tuners.

The dimond plate was made using a real JH-2 plate that was removed of the guitar as a template.

So far the ebony finger board is been shaped and the inlay templates are been worked on, other then that not much else has progressed yet. I will get some pics of the dimond plate and the finger board if I can this weekend but so for here's the before pic of the guitar. 

Awesome! Keep us posted. Man wish I had that double dot neck, I would have traded you an LTD 12th fret inlayed neck since you are replacing the board anyways.

Dominic D.

The third fret on that finger board is chipped at the top but I can ask the tech to try and get it off in usable shape if you like. The chips doesn't affect the playability of if but the frets are either worn and small as, not sure what the term is but they aren't jumbo of extra jumbo 

Nathan S.

Do you mean the wood of the fret board itself is chipped??

Dominic D.
Nathan S. wrote:

Do you mean the wood of the fret board itself is chipped??

Yea at low E 

Nathan S.

Oh bummer

Brian6262

Awesome bro! Look at all us rebuilding LTD’s hahah

Brian6262

How are things coming along?

Dominic D.

Things are going along well, got some pics today.

Brian6262

Looks awesome bro!

Dominic D.

Progress is been made, fret board is been routed today. 

Dominic D.

dubster82

Looks great. All the jh1's had rosewood though didn't they? You could just replace the dots with heads?

Dominic D.

Yea, but I like ebony fingerboards so I choose that. And the rosewood board on the guitar is chopped also 

Dominic D.

inlays are all finish

Nathan S.

Looks good!

jt76

Some pictures of the guitar before,  shows the chip.  It looked worse than it felt.  And the frets,  The frets were small.  But they are smaller on most of the early ltds. Compared to the xj frets.

Dont remeber if they were abnormally small. 

This should link to the gallery i set up for dominic when i sold it to him.

https://www.espguitars.com/photo_albums/1968828/photos

Dominic D.

I found the frets similar to the frets on an Epiphone goth explorer.

The chip was never an issue for playability

Dominic D.

Im leaving all the paint chips and scratches as is for this one, I love the character they give the guitar.

jt76

Even though you did not notice the chip on the fret board when playing, if I were going to the expense of having the inlays done,  I would

get a new fret board also.  

I am finally getting a replacement for it.   Had been trying to catch a decent mx for a few years. 

but cash never seemed to coordinate with availability.    Finally I ended up going for this Gibson. 

I don't have it yet though.   

Nathan S.

Beautiful color man!!

Post to Thread