FAKE/COPY?

Updated
Pacemaker1000

Hi, just recieved from internet order what looks like a fake EC-256!

immediate concern is NO EC-256 inlay on 12th fret

also knobs are not the usual top hat but plain

plays dreadful, ie fretting

slight crack near top nut

says EC256 on truss rod cover?

Sending back anyway but what are your thoughts?

Pacemaker1000

also, i didnt expect it to arrive in perfect tune but this so far out its ridiculous! almost like rubber bands

evan north.

As far as I know the newer LTD models no longer state which model they are on the 12th fret, as for the strings being like rubber bands, many sellers detune guitars that are being shipped as it makes them less prone to having neck/headstock breaks if they are bumped about in transit.

It may take a few hours of retuning to settle in but I am sure you have a genuine LTD 256.....as for the slight crack and fretting, well, it is up to you as to wether it is satisfactory or not.

Bear in mind that while the neck settles in after tuning it will buzz a little more than normal for a day or two.   

Maybe if you took a few pictures and emailed them to the seller he would negotiate a price reduction?

Pacemaker1000

Already dropped off at courier.

never seen any pictures of this guitar without the fret marking

Pushead

An EC-1000, not a 256, but the information is all over the ESP website and asked dozens of times on the forum here. The 2018 models do not feature the model inlay at the 12th fret. This started around October last year.

I don't know the weather conditions of OPs part of the world, but it's been pretty cold in my where. I'm not sure I'd take the tuning condition of my guitar into account after it's sat on a shipping truck for a few days.

Why bother posting questions about the guitar if you're going to take it back minutes after starting the thread? If you've purchased from a reputable store, wouldn't you talk with them about it, first?

Pacemaker1000

Oops

still cant find any 256's without the inlay but see the some 'new' other EC models don’t have it.

Pity ESP don’t update their webpage with 2018 model changes. Especially after statements on the main page about copies being out there.

something didn’t feel right anyway

Pacemaker1000

Hands up guys I made a boob!

just didn’t feel right. Order was late and box was damaged with internal packaging missing too. Plus as said fretting was really bad and item was different to sellers picture and google only shows inlay pictures along with official ESP catalogue. Plus I’d read about copies.

with all that it seemed logical to return item and without anybody taking the time to post on this forum I’d wager they’d come to a similar conclusion.

Also found out a local dealer had one in stock so on way to get it now

anyway my bad and should have not been so impatient..

these guitars are really hard to get hold of due to the rosewood problem. Has ESP moved to an alternative wood like Fender? Maybe my imagination but it the neck felt courser than I remember?

Pushead

They've kept ebony on a bunch of the higher end LTDs and gone to pau ferro and jatoba for some of the lower range guitars, and even "engineered hardwood" for the entry-level guitars.

Pacemaker1000

^^^^

so is there a chance the latest ltd 256 isn’t rosewood?

Cogan C.

Yes. Read Pus's comment above.

Pacemaker1000

Well it definitely felt different so makes me feel better about sending it back.

Pacemaker1000

Ok, update...

Tried and immediately bought another 256 today.

think it was old stock but what a difference to the mail order one I thought was a fake!

Dealer sure brand new ones don’t have rosewood fretboard and this one was made in Indonesia not Vietnam.

quality and build spot on, no fretting, great feel and sound...very happy punter!

just proves all guitars are different and should be tried before you buy

Post to Thread