Used LTD M 350 Fretboard

Updated
Stephen C

Hey All,

So I purchased a used ESP LTD M 350 off craigslist for $120, I couldn't pass it up.  Sure it's an older guitar but I like the EMG HZs for certain uses.  Anyways my question is this:  Either the kid or someone else before him tried to sand the fret board to some degree.  I thought it was just dirty so I cleaned it up with some oil and patience but it was definitely sanded with something.  Playability isn't an issue but it kinda bugs me that it looks a little faded or worn up until a few millimeters away from the frets.  Is there anyway to fix this?  Can you buff sanded fret boards out?  I've never done anything other than cleaning up fret boards so I'm kinda in the dark.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Pushead

You can, buff the board out. Start with higher grit sandpapers (400, 800) and they'll get nice and smooth. Use a drop of oil when you're done and they should be good to go.

Stephen C

Should I avoid the shark inlays? Or can those be buffed out as well?

Pushead

You can buff those out as well. The high grit sandpaper won't do much damage. No need to use a lot of pressure, let the paper do the work and it should smooth up quickly. Just be careful about the frets. I'll typically use a piece of painter's tape over the edge of the fret.

If you're hesitant to use sand paper, you could use a microfiber cloth or even fine steel wool. I try to stay away from steel wool. Even when taping off the pickups (the magnets collect the dust and stray strands) I worry about the electronics inside.

Do you have any photos of the board?

Post to Thread