Floyd Rose sustain block mod

Updated
evan north.

Sometime next year I may change the sustain block on my LTD EC1000FR ad have noticed that there are a number of different units on the market from from a variety of materials such as brass, titanium, copper, stone and tungsten each having their own tone characteristics.

Does anyone have any advice on choosing a suitable block?

I was thinking of a brass big block or standard tungsten as they are said to be similar in tonal properties with the standard tungsten being the same size as a regular floyd block, hence not restricting the travel of the tremelo.

Rafael G.

I put a brass block in my PRS SE Cu24, now she sounds more bright and sustain has increased a little bit. I liked it.

I want to put a brass or steel block in my LTD MH-250. Do you know the size that fits those licensed floyd rose bridges?

evan north.

Just measure the height of your current block. and you should be ok.

Rafael G.

OK! Which block did you choose?

evan north.

My original block was 37mm so I chose a 37mm brass block plus brass spring claw and screws.

I have not fitted them yet and will most likely wait until after the holidays to get a tech to fit them and maybe get a fret dress done as well as a full set up.

Rafael G.

Cool, let me know if you liked it after installing it!

evan north.

Well, I finally got around to fitting the  brass.Big Block plus brass claw and screws last weekend.

The ec1000fr sounds louder and a little more toneful unplugged, plugged in it certainly has a smoother sound with less brittleness to the new set of strings.

It generally sounds stronger in the mids with an even low end and the high end has smoothed out in a nicely balanced way...........I have always had a dislike of fresh out of the pack strings finding them rather scratchy and brittle sounding but I am noticing it less with the brass parts fitted.

Sustain is a little meatier but not that much longer. 

In all, I have modded the ec1000fr with a pair of EMG Fat 55 pickups giving it a much more vintage PAF style sound which is far more to my liking than the stock pickups which I hated, a FU tone tremstopper plus the brass big block and spring claw/screws and totally changed the character of the guitar from a metal axe to something much more suited to classic rock and blues.

Now I am thinking of theLTD AS1  Alex Scolnick  in lemon as I just love the look of it, has anyone tried one of these?

Post to Thread