Putting Gibson Pickups in my LTD EC-1000FR Deluxe!

Updated
Putting Gibson Pickups in my LTD EC-1000FR Deluxe!
Tomorrow night I'm going to gut my guitar and swap out the EMG's for a set of Gibson 500T/496R pickups ...pretty stoked to hear how it sounds! Anyone put any different pickups in theirs?
Norseman

Well the first attempt turned out not so easy. First I had to drill out the volume/tone pot holes a little because the 25k pots are smaller and the factory drilled holes were 1/16 an inch too small. No problem. Next, I thought I rewired the new pots EXACTLY as I should have. However the toggle switch is now backwards (I think this is a pretty easy fix ...gonna check it out tonight). THEN ...the control knobs are too small for the posts on the pots, so I have to order new ones. BUT ...I pushed too hard and broke one of the volume pots. So now I have to order a new pot, and new knobs that'll fit them.
And to top all this off, I have some kind of ground fault because if I take my hands off the guitar, there's a hum.

shathe

lol. if i remember correctly, emgs don't have a ground wire. you might have to run one to your claw or something. yes, 50 different sizes of things sucks. now i know what my dad was bitching about when cars started getting metric parts on them...

Norseman

Hey shathe thanks for the tip!

(anyone know what he means "run one to your claw or something"??) lol

Aside from replacing the pot I broke, and new knobs (both of which I've ordered) I think if I get the ground issue resolved I'll be golden!!

Norseman

Hey shathe thanks for the tip!

(anyone know what he means "run one to your claw or something"??) lol

Aside from replacing the pot I broke, and new knobs (both of which I've ordered) I think if I get the ground issue resolved I'll be golden!!

Norseman

Awesome!! Thanks man!

Rico RokkaRolla

..and what about the guitars with fix bridge (feg ec-1000t/ctm it also has emgs)? Should I drill a hole to the bridge?
I use tom anderson pups in my ltd viper 1000, H1-n, H3-b. H3 is (was) the test pup at mesa/boogie. Pepper Keenan of Down (COC) was using them in 'COC - Americas volume dealer' era.

SO, I want to buy an ec-1000t and will replace the emgs to gibson 490r or 496r with anderson H3. H3 is amazing, if you're looking for a high output pup (as gibson 500t) one of the best choice.

Norseman

Tom Anderson H3? Ok ...never heard of it, but I like the crunchy metal tones of any of the songs from Down that I've heard (I have like their first CD), so I'll have to check that out! I really hope I'm thrilled with the 500T in this guitar and just be done with it, though LOL

I really love the way it sounds in my Gibson Les Paul Classic, so I'm hoping I'll be thrilled with it in my ESP.

Scott M.

What is it about the new pickups/tone you are not 100% satisfied with? I almost went with the 496/500 set in my orville les paul (had them in my V and loved them) but ended up going with some duncan distortions instead. Are you keeping them or going back to EMG's (also thought about going that route at one time too but wanted to stay with passives).

Rico RokkaRolla

sh2/sh8 sweet and brutal, beauty and the beast

Norseman

Latest update: I swapped out the .047 tone cap for the .022 and already like the tone better. I'm surprised that that teeny tiny little thing could make a difference like that. So now I'm going to roll with this for a while ...then I'm going to swap these pickups out for something different. Thinking that TA H3 might be what I put in next!

Norseman

Dang. Well ...I guess that means they're in higher demand. And hopefully that is for a good reason lol

Post to Thread