Alternative pickups for an EC-1000FR

Updated
Alternative pickups for an EC-1000FR
I'm planning on swapping out the pickups on my ESP LTD EC-1000FR Deluxe. I like EMGs - have 2 other guitars with EMG 81/85 and 81/89. I just want to hear what some others sound like in this guitar. I plan on putting all these in before deciding which I like best: Passives (and I know I have to switch out the pots, etc - already have them) Gibson 500T/496R Seymour Duncan SH13 - Dimebucker DiMarzio X2N Bill & Becky L-500XL Active Seymour Duncan Blackouts If you guys can comment on these pickup choices and your experience (even post up some pics/vids - that'd be awesome!
NeedsMoreBlueBell

Keep the EMGs, IMO.

85 in the bridge, and 81 in the neck. Test that out, IMO.

If you don't like it, then I say either Dimarzio Evo bridge and Breed neck or a Duncan Full Shred set.

Norseman

Hey thanks for the suggestions!

It has the 81/60 setup now. I have the 81 bridge in 2 other guitars too. I'm doing some experimentation to see if I maybe like something better.

I'm REALLY diggin the Evo 2!! Do you know if that is Active or Passive? (I'll be googling it a little more and may see the answer somewhere else first)

NeedsMoreBlueBell

The closest thing Dimarzio has to an active pickup is the D-Activator, which is a passive that emulates an active (Emg 81). So, yeah, the Evo and Evo 2 is passive.

Norseman

Awesome. Ever use an X2N? I prefer a chunky crunchier metal pickup ...but since I play in a cover band, I'm trying to look for something a little more versatile than the 81. I'm thinking of pairing whatever bridge pickups I test with the Gibson 496R neck pickup. I don't often use the bridge pickup except with a lowered volume or on clean stuff, so I'm not looking to spend any money on testing neck pickups until I'm happy with whatever bridge pickup I decide to go with. Just trying to get ideas from ESP players since I'm new to them.

szillsarkanyi

Hi, I have an EC-1000 FR and the changes I've made to it made it into my favorite guitar.

I replaced the 81 with an 85, added a tremolo stopper and an extra spring, and a huge sustain block (with the 'L' shape, you need to dremel a bit), and now use 10's instead of the factory 9's.

The change in sound and feel (I didn't like the floating tremolo flattening other strings when i bent a string) was night and day and it's so warm, so solid. Love it!!

Norseman

@szillsarkanyi - awesome! Pretty much my only planned mod is the pickups. I've got nicer guitars than this one (this one is my newest addition). But I bought this because it's a very quality, great sounding guitar for the price, and I didn't spend $2k+ so if (God forbid) someone knocks it over, nicks it or something at gigs, it'll sting less LOL

I'm anal about my sht ...I try and keep everything in like new condition, and the guys in my band are the complete opposite, so that's why I got this one. I guess you can say it's the "fall guy" for my other guitars. This will be my go-to guitar for any venues that have tight stages, or big crowds and no stage ...that kind of thing. BUT ...it's a great sounding guitar that fits me and my playing perfectly (except for that low E string issue I mentioned in another post). I'm really digging it and VERY glad I made the purchase!

Post to Thread