Buffing satin guitars?

Updated
morphius1
Can you turn matt/satin black guitars shiny (or very nearly shiny) using a han held car buffer or anything? Thinking of making the VBK ec1000 shiny (or as shiny as i can get it)
singlecoilpickup

I'd be really careful with any car buffers as most will contain wax that will prevent the wood from breathing and murder your tone. If you really want shiny, you're probably best off just selling it and getting the EC-1000 BLK instead of the VBK.

I would just get some good quality guitar polish (like the Gibson stuff) and do the best you can with that. All of the car polishes often have abrasives in them too which would not be very good to be smearing all over the guitar.

Gfunk

I'd be really careful with any car buffers as most will contain wax that will prevent the wood from breathing and murder your tone.

Whah?

So, does that mean every guitar finished with poly has had its "tone murdered"?

lol

Meguiar's FTW.

load more replies (1 of 1)
morphius1

yeah I had a feeling it wouldn't exactly be as simple as just buffing the surface.

But I polish the guitar a fair bit but it doesn't do anything other than clean it really.

I find on the lower horn (the side you'd rest on your knee) is rather shiny due to ware obviously but it looks really nice being shiny so can anyone think of any other ways to help me?

diadorastriker

rub the whole body jk

singlecoilpickup

You might try to use lemon oil or light mineral oil and rub it in with a rag. You're never going to get a totally glossy finish like a poly coat without taking the current finish off and doing a poly coat, but you could probably get it to shine a bit more with the oil. You'll just need to make sure to do several light coats and buff it so your guitar doesn't feel oily.

Mark K.

use your jeans :p

BroKV

Tox can polish a mean knob!

singlecoilpickup

No, that sealer just fills the surface grain. It fills the surface grain, it dries, and that's it. Silicone penetrates much deeper.

BigMESA

Tone is in the fingers.

morphius1

I would try it and post pics but with all the arguing I don't know what's what :P

kgry

Just take a rag, put some super glue on it, rub it in sand and then rub it on your guitar.

singlecoilpickup

Just find some pure, silicone free carnuba wax and try that. That should be safe. Just make sure it has no gritty stuff. As long as it's smooth, pure carnuba wax, you should be OK.

strngthbyndstrngth

I can't resist posting in here. So singlecoil, what you're saying is silicone will penetrate a fully cured Urethane clear coat, base coat, primers/sealers and damage the wood underneath? Where did you read that? I would not use wax containing silicone on an oiled body, but it will be fine on a poly paint job. And ALOT of quality automotive wax does not contain silicone.

Post to Thread