The risks of buying second hand?

Updated
Murray
Hi all! New member and glad to be here! I would appreciate some advice from the experienced members :) I bought a second-hand EC1000 deluxe recently but I'm not sure it's an original! Is there any information anywhere that will help me pick out the key things I should look for? e.g. how would I spot if the EMGs were fake? One thing that concerns me for example is the nut does not look like any of the images of the Earvana Compernsated nut that I've seen - it just looks like an ordinary square nut. I opened up the pot cavity and notice there's shielding on the lid of the cavity, but no shielding inside the cavity itself - is this usual on ESP? Thanks in advance from yet another n00b!
Murray

Nope, nothing like that - just a square block. I'll post some pics later. Thanks

fourmz

EMG's should have model number underneath on the botton side. 9 volt battery in cavity + active pickups.

mojoredfoot

It's possible it is a very early DLX model. I don't think when they 1st came out that they had the Earvana nut. The sheilding is fine. I don't think the I wouldn't worry that the Chinese are making counterfiet LTDs though.

Major Insane

looks pretty much legit to me..

other then perhaps the nut, but since this is an '02 model they probably did not have the Earvana compensated nut.

Dunno how hard it is te replace it. But off course a tech could do it for you (for a price that is). People tend to lose the Earvana nut anyway because its to soft.

as far as the tuners go, why not get the same ones? Sperzels are supposed to be one of the best tuners out there.

BLS

That's good to go dude!

Post to Thread