Pickup issues.

Updated
Guitargrinder
I recently bought an ESP LTD 400AT (Archtop with Les Paul body type) and went to switch the pickups out for some Dimarzio Evolutions. But my problem is that the pickups are not quite hot enough. I'm not sure if it was my wiring or maybe my pots are going bad. It just sounds like I'm missing the bite. I used to have a Les Paul Studio with Evolutions in it and it had lots of bite and midrange. Why isn't my 400AT sounding like this? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
sirsloop

what impedance are the ESP pots... how about the gibson pots? Higher value makes the pickups brighter....

Guitargrinder

Is it possible to put a pickup in upside down? Especially a standard humbucker (not with covers to know which way is up)?

onemilelost

Is it possible to put a pickup in upside down? Especially a standard humbucker (not with covers to know which way is up)?

Yes. You have to do it sometimes when you install two different brands of pickups...usually with cheaper pickups. Phase issues.

Guitargrinder

How can I tell? I have Dimarzio Evolutions and they don't really have a way to tell if it's in right or not.

mikeweb

I checked my EC-1000 and all three pots are 500k ohm

Guitargrinder

My Les Paul studio is Gibson 300k Linear for volume and 500k Audio for tone(both long shaft). The capacitor is .022uF. Think it would make much difference if I switched out the pots on my LTD?

Guitargrinder

Wonder why the pickups lose power in my LTD? I've put in 2 different sets and they are all very weak.

Mangueebo

LTD's use to work with 500k pots. 300K on the volume pot of your Gibson would always give you more output.

If you want to brighten the sound, you could try changing the tone's capacitor (0.015uF, although it could be maybe too much for your bridge pickup). Anyway, i would recommend changing it even if it is of the same value, since most installed ones from factory are ceramic disc caps (bit darker sound) and cheap. Try any polyester, for example.

B.

jsp

Maybe the pots are not functioning correctly. Try replacing them.

Post to Thread