Best strings for F-400FM

Updated
CTripodi
I have tried a few string types for my F400, but I'm wondering if there are really good strings that are great sounding for this particular guitar. I have it tuned down to D, sometimes even C, and then just a drop D at times. Currently, I am using 10 gauge Ernie Balls. They sound great when normally tuned to E, but not as good when tuned lower. What are your suggestions? Much appreciated.
Nef

Beefy Slinkies ftw. Used them with drop C tuning on my F-Std. Perfect.
The low E string weighs in at 054, so make sure it fits through the tuning post and stays aligned on the nut.

sirsloop

First you gotta decide what tuning you are going to play. This is what I typically go for...

e standard - Regular slinky (sometimes super slinky)
drop d - skinny top heavy bottom (sometimes regular slinky)
d standard - power slinky (sometimes beefy slinky)
drop c - beefy slinky

Remember, every time you change your tuning or strings you will need to setup the guitar again (to have it right). The neck will bow a little different and the intonation will go out a little.

CTripodi

What do you mean by set it up again? Could you explain the procedure? Thanks.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Nef

First you gotta decide what tuning you are going to play. This is what I typically go for...

e standard - Regular slinky (sometimes super slinky)
drop d - skinny top heavy bottom (sometimes regular slinky)
d standard - power slinky (sometimes beefy slinky)
drop c - beefy slinky

Remember, every time you change your tuning or strings you will need to setup the guitar again (to have it right). The neck will bow a little different and the intonation will go out a little.
+1

Yeah, my beefy slinky recommendation was based on the assumption you were looking for something for low tunings. I agree 100% with sirsloops list there.

sirsloop

First set your truss rod and string height to your liking. Next tune your guitar to whatever you are going to be playing. One string at a time, fret at the 12th (one octave higher), and the note should be in tune with the same string open. If its flat, you need to move the bridge aduster up towards the nut slightly. If its sharp, you need to move the bridge adjuster towards the bottom of the guitar slightly. After each little adjustment retune that one string open, then see where your half length 12th fret tuning is at. Once you have all of the strings in tune open and on the 12th fret...you're ready to ROOOOCK!

Nef

First set your truss rod and string height to your liking. Next tune your guitar to whatever you are going to be playing.
Shouldn't you first tune the guitar?

creativename11

First set your truss rod and string height to your liking. Next tune your guitar to whatever you are going to be playing. One string at a time, fret at the 12th (one octave higher), and the note should be in tune with the same string open. If its flat, you need to move the bridge aduster up towards the nut slightly. If its sharp, you need to move the bridge adjuster towards the bottom of the guitar slightly. After each little adjustment retune that one string open, then see where your half length 12th fret tuning is at. Once you have all of the strings in tune open and on the 12th fret...you're ready to ROOOOCK!

+100000000000 i just did this took a few minutes but soooooooooooo worth it! Sounds great you can really hear a difference its small but noticeable!

sirsloop

lol... depends how you look at it. Setting the truss rod includes tuning the guitar, at least once if not more than once. So if I say tune your strings... you would say "you have to turn your tuner on first".

Nef

That's not what I was trying to say. I got the impression you're saying to first turn the truss rod then to downtune the guitar. Since I wouldn't use the truss rod to take the first step, I'm saying to first put on the strings and preferred tuning and then see if adjustments of the truss rod are necessary (if possible I'd prefer adjusting the bridge before messing with the rod). But maybe we're just talking at cross-purposes...

load more replies (2 of 2)
sirsloop

you gotta buy a tuner before you can turn it on, silly...

sirsloop

i wouldn't worry about bending the fretboard... the neck and truss rod are more then strong enough to handle even heavy gauge strings at standard tunings.

Metallijosh

Catgut

Post to Thread