EMG 81/81 or 81/85

Updated
Hammerstrike
I've just ordered a LTD VB-400 at promusictools (germany). It has EMG 81 in bridge position and 85 in the neck position. Now they informed me they also had one with 2 EMG 81's. Which is better? 81/81 or 81/85?
5150-Viper

id go with the 85 in the neck, gives it a nice warmer tone. i prefer it for cleans and solo's.

Hammerstrike

According to them 81/81 would make more sense on a baritone, because it's more focused.

I personally think I'd go for 81/85 (although I rather have a 81/60), as I might want to switch pickups in future (and try SD blackouts from my Jackson in the LTD)

OutlawTorn

60(n)/81(b) imo

Velt017

I dislike the 81 in the neck, not versatile enough. The 85 is waaaay better for cleans and solos in the neck.

load more replies (1 of 1)
sirsloop

60(n)/81(b) imo

x2... I swapped out the 85 on my viper400 and have been much happier with it.

mrclean77

never played a baritone, but would guess the 85/81 combo being pretty cool in there

I would also like to try out the 60/85 combo

I haven't played aorund more with different combos b/c I only have 2 fiddles with EMGs right now and one of them has a pickguard, so that's not a lot of fun

Mr. Wicked

81tw (b) / 89r (n)

I currently have 89/89. Has a cool Japanese Metal sound.

Mr. Wicked

Fuck yeah!

WildeStarr

Fuck yeah!

X-Japan KICKS ASS

Wrathofkala

81/85 combo is much better IMO. Clean just sound really warm for EMG's that is.

Hammerstrike

81/85 it is!

81/60 or 81/89R are no realistic options (unless I pay extra and build it in myself).

Hopefully I'll have the guitar by friday

sk3tch3dx

i ended up replacing my 85(n) to a DiMarzio Air Norton, works well with the 81(b), go from anything 81 style to a nice smooth dream theater esque

load more replies (1 of 1)
Big Rich

i say go with the 81 in the neck the 85 gets rely shitty sounding on super low tunings you lose all definition

dmnall

I have the 81/85 combo in my baritone and they sound great. Now in my 92 Rhoads pro, I swapped out the stock active jackson pickups and added 81/81 and the way the luthier I had do the swap for me, sounds great, I was expecting it to be harsh but surprisingly it was not.

Cheers,
Charlie

boffen

I swapped the 60 in my recently aquired EC-1000 with the 81 in the bridge for like ten minutes. The 81 doesn't fit the neck at all, 60 was ok-ish in bridge.

Post to Thread