MX220 vs MX250 shape

Updated
MX220 vs MX250 shape

Just a quick question - I know the more rounded angles of the MX220 copied the shame of the Gibson Explorer (specifically the '84), but did the later MX250, with it's sharper, more acute, angles copy a Gibson shape, or was that ESP's idea/design?

Pushead

The 220 is based on the original 1958 Gibson body shape. The 250 is based on the 1976 reissue shape.

Lefty_Xplorer

So the 76 shape was sharper with more acute corners? How comes the 84 model was the more rounded version?

Pushead

The Epiphone 84 model has the more rounded corners, similar to the 1958 body shape. Epi released the 84 reissue to mimic the 220s that Hetfield played on AJFA.

Gibson's Explorers in 1984 had a similar same shape to the 1976 reissue.

Pushead

Here's a 58 (top) and a 76 (bottom). The 58 is also a bit shorter, length wise. The rear wing on the 76 extends out further.

The comparison of a 220 and a 250 is similar.

Interesting fact, my MXII (the 250 shape) doesn't fit into my 95 Gibson Explorer case. The front horn is too long.

Lefty_Xplorer

Interesting, thanks! I hadn't realised the original 84's were the sharper shape, I thought they were the 220 shape. Still kicking myself for not buying a white Gibson '84 lefty when I had the chance some 8 or so year ago

Lefty_Xplorer

And yes, I'd noticed the Epi 84 re-issue mimicked James' ESP model, in regard to the black hardware, EMG's and that control layout. Bit cheeky really since they issued a lawsuit against ESP for copying the Gibson's in the first place, then go and copy the ESP's

Post to Thread