Old ESP explorer questions

Updated
Old ESP explorer questions

Hey guys, So for sure the next ESP I will get will be an old Lawsuit explorer. Im curious to which one is a good choice. Heres some questions for the blessed people who own these badass toyz.

Is the EXP Custom bulkier than the MX-250? thinner? wider?

Does the ESP EXP Custom play like an MX-250? heavier? lighter? neck heavy?

Is there any other websites other than ebay and craigslist where these pop up as well?

Sorry for all the noob questions guys. I need to up my explorer game and get some into my collection.

Pushead

EXP is the same shape as the MX-II, just with a bolt-on neck and a rosewood board.  They feel pretty similar.  My MX-II is heavier than my old LTD EXP-200, but balances well.  (Most explorers do.)

Travis L.

Thanks Bro! 

AK

My ESP MX is heavier than my ESP EXP and the neck feels a bit thicker, but not in an uncomfortable way or anything. The other thing I noticed is that the EXP has one vol and one tone knob while the MX for some reason has 2 vols and no tone. Guitars that bypass the tone knob sound more bass from what I experienced, so I might need to change that in the future. Other than that I enjoy both of them very much.

Pushead

Yeah, good point.  The neck (especially at the nut) of my MX-II is wider than the LTD was.  I think that's what makes it feel thicker.

I don't recall how the LTD was wired when I got it, but when I put the EMGs in it, I wired for 2 volume.

AK

Oh and another thing: My EXP being 1998 has two EMG81s while the MX is 2008 with a 60 and an 81.

Pushead

My 03 came with 2 81s.

GuitarsCollector

all infoin the Hetfield section here

www.GuitarsCollector.com 

emg3254

The EXP's have the rosewood fretboard, maple neck and bolt-on necks.  The MX-250's have the ebony fretboard, mahogany neck and set neck.

I personally like the tone of the EXP's better.  The MX-250's are more expensive but I sold my MX-250 and kept my EXP.  I just love the way it sounds and plays much better than the MX-250 I owned.

EXPcustom
emg3254 wrote:

The EXP's have the rosewood fretboard, maple neck and bolt-on necks.  The MX-250's have the ebony fretboard, mahogany neck and set neck.

I personally like the tone of the EXP's better.  The MX-250's are more expensive but I sold my MX-250 and kept my EXP.  I just love the way it sounds and plays much better than the MX-250 I owned.

Depends on what era MX250 you're talking about, the 90's era, bell truss rod with the thin paint was made with good mahogony and Ebony. I know Hetfield has been having his people look out for old ones because he knows how good they sound.

The newer post 2000 MX250s with bullet truss rods are almost plasticy to me (2001-03) Had a few really good ones in the batch, I think it was the last of the old good wood. As my friend/business partner put it, they have tha banjo resonance and they sprayed like a layer of clear coat on the Ebony fretboard, I guess to seal it but it kills the resonance.

This is probably why the EXP bolt on sounds better to you but like I said hands down, bell truss rod MX250's are where it's at tone wise. Even Hetfiled knows this.

ESP 348

I see a 1992 ESP EXP Explorer for sale here in Australia for AU $4000 or around US $3200.

It has some marks and paint chips one it, nothing that can't be fixed with a refinish.

Reckon that's a good buy? I don't want an explorer but for the right price I would buy one.

HateEvent

I have a 2017 MX custom - mahogany body & neck, rosewood board. It sounds incredible and plays great. 

Pushead
ESP 348 wrote:

I see a 1992 ESP EXP Explorer for sale here in Australia for AU $4000 or around US $3200.

Bolt-on? Not a good deal in the U.S.

ESP 348
Pushead wrote:

Bolt-on? Not a good deal in the U.S.

Yeah, bolt on model mate.

It's nothing special, perhaps it's just the year model that is getting me half excited.

EXPcustom
HateEvent wrote:

I have a 2017 MX custom - mahogany body & neck, rosewood board. It sounds incredible and plays great. 

Don't get me wrong I think custom orders receive special attention and better wood but I just noticed the "standard" black or white and ebony MXIIs were kind of mass produced and plasticy thought the 2000's/

Travis L.

Nothing beats the old esp guitars \m/ the tone and feel are awesome \m/  nothing wrong with new ones but for some reason to me the older ones just had some magic about them \m/ 

Post to Thread