• Marinotti Guitars

ESP MI "NYC GRAFFITI" apparently pre-owned by Kirk Hammett.

Hi there,

from the beggining: 14/15 years ago i've bought this guitar in a pawn shop in San Diego.

I've bought that for $350,00 plus OHSC.

The guitar was red, but looks painted over another color.

Two years ago i've decided to restore the guitar and, removing the red paint i've found... that!

After months of researches on the web i've found this:

4 Graffiti ESP MII was made for Michael Wilton by an LA artist, Eddie Meeks, with airbrush (all with a black base).

3 was made in NYC by Gene Harrison, 2 for Wilton and one MI for Kirk Hammett (all with a white base).

I've found this informations at this link: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/ForSale/acapella-81/1951307-

After that i've also thinked that the guitar was stolen to Kirk Hammett and re-painted for make it no recognizible.

Now, as a collector and guitar maker for 20 years i'm 100% sure the guitar is original (included the Sinclair bridge and the old EMG 81).

I'm looking for more informations that relate this guitar to KIrk Hammett.

If someone can help me would be great!

Thank you,

Marco

• Big Daddy B

I can pretty much say with certainty Kirk Hammett never owned one of these having followed his career since ye olde day. Back when he didnt own so many guitars, most appeared in photographs at one time or another. Still in 30 years of following him I have never seen it and it doesn't really strike me as the type of guitar he would own.

However I did some research and am wondering it it may have belonged to Wilton's bandmate, Chris DeGarmo...http://shredguitars.com/archive/index.php/t-35129.html

Also, i uncovered this which looks like it may have been  may have been graffiti finishes available to the general public as a custom color: http://www.guitar-list.com/esp/electric-guitars/esp-m-ii-custom 

• Marinotti Guitars
      Big Daddy B wrote:

I can pretty much say with certainty Kirk Hammett never owned one of these having followed his career since ye olde day. Back when he didnt own so many guitars, most appeared in photographs at one time or another. Still in 30 years of following him I have never seen it and it doesn't really strike me as the type of guitar he would own.

However I did some research and am wondering it it may have belonged to Wilton's bandmate, Chris DeGarmo...http://shredguitars.com/archive/index.php/t-35129.html

Also, i uncovered this which looks like it may have been  may have been graffiti finishes available to the general public as a custom color: http://www.guitar-list.com/esp/electric-guitars/esp-m-ii-custom 

Hi Big Daddy B,

first of all thank you for the informations!

As you've said it was pretty strange for me too that there aren't pictures of Kirk Hammett with this guitar.

For sure is not a Custom finish from the catalogue, this one has been hand painted (with a closer look you can see the brush strokes on the surface) while the production graphics was printed on the bodies.

The Chris DeGarmo option could be the right one, along with the one that Kirk Hammett never had the time to play this guitar if it was stolen before he play it.

I'm trying to reach Kirk Hammett staff, included his guitar tech to have more informations.

Thanks to you i will also try to ask DeGarmo if this guitar was him.

For the moment, mistery not solved...  

• jt76

This should have been air brushed, airbrushing doesn't leave brush strokes.

This artist that did the Graffitis did not typically apply art to the trem recess.

I also have never seen kirk or anyone else that is famous holding a graffiti in this particular color.  

I would suggest you contact Eddie Meeks at EAM studios - Eddie Meeks is the artist who painted the graffiti guitars

He should definitely be able to confirm if he painted it or not and probably who for if it was someone of note.

• Marinotti Guitars

Hi JT76,

thanks for the reply.

I've send and received a lot of mail from Eddie Meeks (a really kind person and a great artist), that explained me his way to work.

He has done several guitars from 1986 to 1992, not only ESP, and he tolds me that he use only airbrush for his works.

My guitar has been done by another artist, Gene Harrison, a NYC artist that used that "shaker paint pens" to decorate the guitars.

Harrison was contracted by the 48th St. Custom Shop to paint some of their guitars with a few different graffiti motifs, and the guitar he painted was painted also in the trem cavity.

As i've also wrote above, i've followed the Kirk Hammett career as well as any other Metallica fan born in the 70's, and i've never seen him playing this particular guitar too.

This don't means that the guitar don't belongs to him.

Maybe it was in his collection, or maybe has been stolen to him before he could be able to play it.

In a couple of years i've learned a lot about the 90's ESP custom hand-painted series, this is the reason because i need to know what it miss to my informations.

I'm also trying to contact Gene Harrison, but the guy has not a website and not even a FB profile...

Thanks again for the infos and take care,

Marco

• Big Daddy B

OP, if you are looking for a strap to go with this guitar, I fould the perfect one. The colors compliment if perfectly: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291577974085?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Gene H.

Hey this is gene harrison I have been looking for this guitar for years it was stolen from me in NYC in the west village do you have any idea to the location of this guitar now and is there a way I can contact you I don't have a facebook I see you tried that before my daughter just found this site on the internet and would like to know if there is a way I can get this back thank you.

• Marinotti Guitars

Hi, so you're Gene Harrison? 

I'm sorry, but the guitar has been sold.

By the way, as i've told, i've found it in San Diego (a pawn shop) and the guitar was completely paint in red.

As a luthier i've started to restore the guitar, and removing the red paint i've found an amazing graffiti graphic on it.

If you need more info you can contact me on Facebook or Instagram at Marinotti Guitars or Marco Marinotti (that is actually me).

Take care,

Marco

Cancel