Could someone from ESP can clarify the ESP EII vs ESP STANDARD dylemma once and for all?

Updated
Could someone from ESP can clarify the ESP EII vs ESP STANDARD dylemma once and for all?

I bought a EII horizon fr. You can see her on my profile picture. When I ordered the guitar my dealer told me that EII was the rebranded ESP STANDARD, so acutally I was going to buy a STANDARD with a different brand: EII.

Whae the guitar arrived I noticed several imperfections. One inlay was cracked and the other was not inserted in the neck precisely; I found a hole filled with wood plaster on the 15th fret. The guitar is awesome, very good soud and feeling but for 1800€ I was expecting better finishes.

So I started searching on the web and I red several people saying that tha new EII series is actually the old LTD ELITE, and judging from the finishes on my guitar I could belive it.

So please, "Could someone from ESP can clarify the ESP EII vs ESP STANDARD dylemma once and for all?"

Josh in NY
Cogan C. wrote:

I think the E-II line is pretty decent for what they charge ($1,700 or so). I just picked up a new E-II Horizon and it was flawless right out of the case- action was low with no fret buzz, the ebony fingerboard was conditioned and shiney, no scratches, etc. The only thing I did was change the strings (I prefer D'Addario) and changed the tuning. It's built really well and for the craftsmanship, it's better than the LTD 1000 series for sure. That being said, it's really up to you. If you're skeptical about the E-II line then I'd wait for a used USA-made M-7, otherwise you'll be second guessing yourself if you go with the E-II.

After speaking to the person I am buying it from (Nick @The Axe Palace...), he guarantees me that I will love it. If for ANY reason I don't once it shows up, he will then refund me my money, or I can use that full purchase amount and transfer it to either another guitar or put it towards a down payment on a Custom Shop piece. I have seen a lot of the reviews and it makes more sense that all the negative ones seem to be during the initial lineup swap and rebranding time frame. The dealer I am going thru has done 3 special order small batch runs, he has 1 left out of all 3 (each batch consisting of 10 guitars each...) and all 3 batches were E-II builds. Not a single one has been returned, and not a single refund issued on any of them. Every single E-II he has sold has been highly loved and accepted, despite everybody NOT agreeing with the rebranding.

So my worries of getting a questionable guitar have subsided. And if for some reason I don't fall in love with it, I can always find a gently used USA M-7  for the same price. Just have to keep my eyes open if and when it comes to it...

John L.

I don't think you will have anything to worry about, I have a Arrow BLK, and a Arrow-7 BLK, and a Horizon FR-7 BLK. All EII. They are all awesome guitars !

Cogan C.

That's good to hear, more so when you have a quality dealer that will work with you if you're not satisfied. I'll admit too, I had my doubts as well before buying my E-II and now that I own one, my fears vanished. Like most everybody on this site, you can never have enough ESPs- they're like tattoos, once you get one, you'll be wanting many more!

Sinjin S.
Giò wrote:

I bought a EII horizon fr. You can see her on my profile picture. When I ordered the guitar my dealer told me that EII was the rebranded ESP STANDARD, so acutally I was going to buy a STANDARD with a different brand: EII.

Whae the guitar arrived I noticed several imperfections. One inlay was cracked and the other was not inserted in the neck precisely; I found a hole filled with wood plaster on the 15th fret. The guitar is awesome, very good soud and feeling but for 1800€ I was expecting better finishes.

So I started searching on the web and I red several people saying that tha new EII series is actually the old LTD ELITE, and judging from the finishes on my guitar I could belive it.

So please, "Could someone from ESP can clarify the ESP EII vs ESP STANDARD dylemma once and for all?"

I'm a Luthier in Portland Oregon and have a few ESP and Kramer Strat heads from the early 80's, several Standards from the 90's, and a 99' Custom shop.  I've worked on many in the last 18 years and undoubtedly the quality has steadily declined in the last 6-7 years. Their factory stuff was nearly as good as Performance guitars out of Hollywood.

The E-II I own now was not by choice.  A regular client brought it in for a top refinish and wanted a trans black to replace the trans amber on the flame maple cap. It was really secondary to removing the crazy thick clear coat that seem to deaden the notes. First off, It is NOT a flame maple cap. It is a this plain maple cap with a veneer so thin that 320 grit burned through it on touch. I am still convinced it is Foto-Flame paper.  Remember that stuff from the 90's?  Contacted ESP Cali. and was referred to the fine print in the E-II literature that it is a laminate. Fine, don't care, but it would have to be the thinnest laminate used in the industry and I argued that it burned through WAY too easily and the fibers were more like paper. He insisted that it was just the sealer coat that produced the paper like fiber and I must be inexperienced with sanding laminates.... It's all CRAP!   

ESP has forgotten the army of hungry guitars players that passed on sustenance to save for that ESP guitar. The guitar that would take their playing to the next level and in turn, boosted the ESP brand to it's high water mark of few years back. What about the E-II? He had always wanted to buy my LTD explorer from the mid 90's. Bolt on with an embossed serial number on the end of the fretboard.  I traded him the Explorer and completely rebuilt the E-II to what it should have been leaving the factory.  With some additions like scalloping, a Floyd Rose Pro w/ block, and a set of EVH pickups from an Axis. Now I'm cooking with a plain top (minus the ridiculously thick clear coat) that sounds and sustains wonderfully and my greying hair goes better with the strat style vs an Explorer anyway.

Pushead
Sinjin S. wrote:

First off, It is NOT a flame maple cap. It is a this plain maple cap with a veneer so thin that 320 grit burned through it on touch. I am still convinced it is Foto-Flame paper.  Remember that stuff from the 90's?  Contacted ESP Cali. and was referred to the fine print in the E-II literature that it is a laminate.

The Standard Series guitars of the early 2000s and up were the same way. It's not something that changed with the move from ESP Standard to E-II.

I would say that I haven't seen quite as many figured tops from ESP in the 90s, so I guess I don't have enough practical experience to comment on that.

Marc H.

It was never stated they're full flame caps. I doub't it's photoflame as I've had an '06 Eclipse with quilt and it had 3D effect in it, sometimes the effect isn't really strong (can be due to the finish or the wood itself).

A full thickness flame cap would also have made the guitars cost a good bit more than what they did. So basically the flame maple veneer (laminate) is acting like a solid colour, giving them the opportunity to use 2 or more pieces for the top or have the line not be centered, it's not something you would see anyway (unless you get very nitpicky) and it doesn't affect anything.

Jshannon3

I just know that the 2 E2 M2 Urban Camo Guitars that I purchased are flawless, the quality and craftsmanship are unmatched in any guitar that I’ve ever played.  Quite frankly, these 2 guitars are the best I’ve ever played, and I used to be an Ibanez prestige guy.  The paint jobs are sick, looks like the wood was born with that Urban Camo color.  I don’t understand all the humberungerobob about the rebranding of the original standard to E2.  The 2 guitars I have are masterpieces, and I know it , I’ve been playing guitar for 25 years and have owned every major brand.  These ESP’s are down right awesome, the tone, the playability, the looks, these Urban Camo guitars got it all.  Rock on ESP!!!

dd1983

I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm asking a question already answered....

But what standard are the signature series? I have a 2012 Eclipse and fancy a Hetfield Iron Cross model, but I played an LTD Deluxe EC1000 (I dunno if that is the same as elite?) and didn't like it. Nowhere in the UK has one for me to try, AFAIK, and don't want to waste 5 grand! Is the Iron Cross a completely different animal to the EC1000?

I'm going to a guitar showroom near me in the next couple of weeks that has the LTD version. If I like that, will I like the 'proper' version?

Cheers!

Holy moly....I just realised this thread is 4 years old....bugger.

Marc H.

Dunno if you've figured it out already. I'm not sure what you mean by ''what standard are the signatures series'', there are the LTD sigs and ESP Sigs, ESP sigs are now all custom shops.

All LTD 1000 Series and top end LTD Sigs are being moved to Indonesia, so if I were you, get one that's made in Korea asap. The LTD Iron Cross I tried once was the best LTD I've ever tried, and I've had a DJ-600 and an EC-1000. The LTD Iron Cross is basically a ''modded'' EC-1000, but no 2 guitars are the same.

A good tell sign from a Korea and Indonesia if going by the interne is if the guitar has a Macassar Ebony board, they're indonesian, Korean are just black Ebony.

LTD Elite was/is ESP Standard as is the E-II, I haven't got a clue on all the price jumps and falls, ESP was really confusing at that time. They went from ESP Standard to a new ESP logo and LTD Elite and then E-II. Finishing touches on E-II are on customshop level now with highly polished rounded frets, which you didn't see before.

Post to Thread