ESP detectives needed! ESP strat?

Updated
patrick p.

jt76

nope,  the headstock is subtly wrong, the tuners are wrong, so are the decals on the headstock.   looks like it might be a decent neck from the picture, maybe warmouth or something, made to look like an esp headstock.   pickguard and pickups are not stock esp.  it could maybe be a 400 series body with a replacement neck.

heres mine

heres what a custom shop headstock logo should look like from my custom tele

patrick p.

quite a few differences ! PLAYS REALLY WELL GREAT ACTION confusing as it is the bodys not to far off the  your 400?

jt76

these old 80's strats had vintage fret wire,  its small,  and I have seen a lot of them that are worn and no longer playable without a refrett.   It very possible

that its an esp body, that had a worn out neck, or based on the pickups in it the previous owner may have just wanted bigger frets. Its not that much money for a

decent quality USA made replacement neck so if you don't have acess to a good luthier to replace the frets then it eaiser just to replace the neck.    So thats my guess.  

jt76

also my cream colored one, was orginally a pearl white color like what yours looks like,  it has yellowed over time,

it is still pearl white under the pickguard. 

jt76

just had a thought,  next time you change the strings take the neck off and have a look ( if you are comfortable doing that ),  sometimes there is information on the heal of the neck or in the neck pocket on the guitar.    

patrick p.

thanks for all your replys so far the neck seems like its quality will take neck off soon.

load more replies (1 of 1)
jt76

the neck plate should be engraved esp small print (like maybe 3/16" tall), new models are engraved in large print ( somewhere about 3/4" tall),  but this one should be the small print and it should have the serial number engraved on it as well. 

Post to Thread