Maple cap or vaneer

Updated
Maple cap or vaneer

Do ESP standard eclipse models have a maple vaneer or is it a solid maple cap, I'm just curious that's all and can't find a definitive answer. 

guitarsatbmusic

Veneer

Poolaboobface

Thanks for your reply, would a real flame maple cap look any better then a vaneer cap, I've never seen them side by side and I realise that maybe subjective any way. 

guitarsatbmusic

I believe the full cap looks better as there's more "depth" to the grain, personally. More "3D" looking, particularly on a quilt top.

jt76

its a thin veneer

technically a cap and a veneer are both veneers.   Typically the thin veneer looks better, because of the thin cut, a better book match is possible. also because of the lower cost for a thin veneer the manufacturer can be more selective when choosing which veneer to use.   a "cap" however is more expensive and also more durable,  less likely to chip and break off and it can be sanded down if you want to do restoration work later in the guitars life.   foto flame ( available on cheap guitars from other manufacturers ) is a picture of wood that has been veneered onto the face of the guitar,  if you are looking are guitars in the eclipse price range this should not come up as an option.      

TT

"Thin" is relative.  It's not as thin as say an Epiphone flame or quilted top, and it's also not as thick as a Gibson LP Standard maple "cap".  Yes, the cap is more durable as it can restored.  But, when was the last time you needed that done to one of you veneer tops?  I haven't even heard any of my friends needing that work done on their veneers or Gibsons.

I also wouldn't call an actual carved cap, ala Gibson, a "veneer".  A veneer is a cosmetic application that's put on over the top of a lesser quality wood.  On a Gibson the body is mahogany and the cap is carved and bonded to the mahogany, not simply applied as a cosmetic veneer.  The Eclipse also have a maple cap, and then that cap has a veneer.

OP, there are also various thickness veneers and ESP, IIRC, uses a thicker veneer than something like an Epiphone.  So if it needed repair there is more wood to do so.  It's something between a cap and veneer.  Maybe we could call it a "carved veneer"?  :)

Pushead

The flame/quilt is a thin vaneer, but the vaneer is attached to a thicker maple cap. 

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/Pushead_cic/Guitars/NT_carve.jpg

Poolaboobface

Thank you both for your replys I already own a few eclipse guitars and love them I mainly asked cause I was curious to know more about the guitar, the guitar looks amazing and Plays just as good but like I said I just wanted to know more about the construction of the guitar.

so one last question do Eclipse guitars have a maple cap then a vaneer or is it pretty much all mahogany with the thin vaneer. 

Pushead

I believe it's the same, with the vaneer over a maple cap.  You can pull one of the pickups out and see where the layers on the body are to know for sure.

Poolaboobface

Thanks for all the answers I'll take the pick ups out and see what it looks like, like I said does not bother me either way I just wanted to know more about the construction. 

Post to Thread