No more ESP in USA?

Updated
No more ESP in USA?
Well, I didn't know whether to start this here or in General Discussion. I figured it might be safer here, and more relevant. I was going through the NAMM 2013 thread looking for any mention of ESP rebranding and didn't see anything. Then again, it's a fairly beastly thread, and the topics are all over the place. So here's the meat and potatoes of this question: Is there any publicized discussion of ESP pulling the ESP brand from the US market? I've heard from more than one reputable source that ESP is working on withdrawing ESP from this market, and offering only LTD and LTD Elite. The only way to get your hands on real ESP will be a custom shop order. To be clear, I don't know if this is true or accurate, I'm only asking if anyone else has heard this as well.
Road King

GG2, even though you own the only left-handed Snakebytes ever built, your guitars are shit because they have African mahogany and not the Honduran kind.

jt76

just jumping in for a rant - don't read this if you don't want a
bunch of opinionated nosense, (also my grammer is shit and I know it so don't bother giving me crap about it )

some of yall gonna hate me over this but

Wtf - ltd is damn good,
ltd elite is probably damn good,
I bet eII is damn good - but havnt tried one.
Im sure eIII and eIV, grass roots super special
and edwards exta plus ( assumtion of possible future branding products)
will be damn good.
Esp SS is good
ESp Custom is good
-- thats why we are all here .... I think

just bought a made in vietnam vintage black 256, its a bunch of crappy wood glued together, it has cheap hardware, and just generally looks cheap. cheap pots bad electonics and gb pickups. But the neck and frets are up there with my real esp's. I put duncan custom 5's in it. It sounds awsome, in my processor, my fender, my mesa ....It now one of my favorites. I like it better than my esp eclipse.
yes I just said that. Sorry if that angers you.

Here is my take, I own or have owned all kinda stuff from dirt cheap to custom shop. I truly belive all you are paying for in a high end instument
is the craftmanship. a beautiful instument, where every attention to detail is considered. not always the sound or playability. a good nut, bridge, and pickups can make any guitar sound good enough, especially at stage volume in the mix. and many cheap guitars can play well with a decent set up. I love guitars that are perfect, for home personal use. But going crazy on stage with a peice of art just doesn't work for me. give me a couple hundred dollar beater with some decent pickups in it, that I don't have to worry if I dent it, break it, or if it gets stolen, and
I can play a lot better, because I am not worried protecting the guitar.

from my experience ranked in order of quality

ltd - china - some good, some crap - play a 100 and 10 will be good and 1 will be outstanding for the price - I almost bought an f10 ( I think that was the model ) it was a killer guitar and I think $150 or so new.
I have played other made in china that I would burn.

ltd - indonesia - medeocer acoss the board but good for the price
-- ive not ever bought one

ltd - vietnam - amazing fret work and a great value, but bad hardware and bad detail wise, not well wired, don't like the shopworn that they have been doing until this year, but I own 3 of them anyway.
at $200- $300 used market they are really really hard to beat.

ltd - korea - really good but whish they had better hardware

ltd elite - is made in japan - mass production.
( I have not played one of these)

early ltd - ( japan or early korea ) -in my opinon these are close or better than some of the standard series they are making now ( the later ones started getting duncan designs and cheap hardware but are still really nice with some easy upgrades, the early ones had esp pickups - the good ones they were putting in esp's at the time and shaller, gotoh,or sperzel hardware ). by the way when I say better than the standard series I mean in playablity ( not overal quality)

esp SS current - is made in japan - made by esp with care and up to their standards, just not in the custom shop, beatiful guitars with awesome attention to detail even if I don't find them more functional than the early ltds

90's or earlier esp - I just like the necks and fret work and material selection better than whats
coming out now.

esp cutsom - is the shit period. a totally different guitar. I own one,
I love it, I would own more If I had an unlimited cash supply

wood and configuration -

maybe there is something wrong with my ears but emgs, sound the
almost same to me no matter what the wood or setup type is ( neck thru, tom, floyd ect.) , and that is what almost everybody seems to use. so wtf.
Now after saying that - let me contradict myself
if I have to choose wood for emg's I like light wood like a basswood with a fender style hard tail,
because keeps things bright and seems to get real crunchy. If I was going for tone I would use passives.

with humbucker passives I like ash and mahogany - floyd or tom
with single coils - alder or ash with a tele or strat bridge

I don't understand the rebranding, or why they have different insturments available in different markets. and I hate the new logos.
also I am severly pissed that they are limiting the already limited selection
of standard series.

I wish they could just get passed all the branding and focus on making
bad ass guitars.

In general i can usually tell in a minute or two if I like a guitar and if it feels right to me I don't care who's name is on it,
where it was made or what it cost. For me 90% of the time they say either esp or ltd.

I don't know who made my guitars, or where the wood came from
but they sound good and feel awsome so I don't care

by the way I have been ranting so long I don't even remeber the post I was initially responding to,

guitarsatbmusic

GG2, even though you own the only left-handed Snakebytes ever built, your guitars are shit because they have African mahogany and not the Honduran kind.

The only ones ever built? Incorrect, but carry on

load more replies (1 of 1)
Mr.Dahl

are you drunk?? :rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Road King

The stickers are made from Honduran vinyl, and not African.

Tim M.

as far as the LTD elite vs E-II and standard series the main differences that Ive been able to find are going to be in the hardware of the trem models. The standard series have Original floyds. The LTD elite have the FRT-1000 series korean floyds. As far as the non trem guitars Im struggling to find any real difference. I would be willing to bet the LTD elite guitars are built right along side the standard series guitars with the same wood. I would be willing to bet much of the difference is simply a little lost profit margin for the elite series. Combine that with the streamlined production and limited colors and they can now pump guitars out faster with less one off crap to worry about and make production more efficient thus being able to lower the production cost and therefore the end cost to the user. Prices on the LTD elite guitars would probably be higher if there were more colors, hardware options etc. It has been proven in this very thread that some WILL pay more for a name. And esp is banking on that. If people want to believe the EII guitars will be better than the LTD elite then they will find things better about them. I just wish people would stop comparing the LTD elites to Edwards guitars. As edwards have been being built in china for some time now. Now unless ESP is using the Swiss watch trick of percentages to claim Japanese made on guitars that are actually mostly chinese then i dont really see the comparison of the LTD elite guitars to edwards models valid.

1point8t

My LTD Elite M-II is as nice as any ESP I've owned. Granted the older stuff is a lot better than any of the new ESP's, the attention to detail, fretwork, and overall build on the Elite is awesome. If it didn't have the LTD designation on the hs, you'd never know. Most of the World-built high end LTD's always have something up with them, be it crappy fret dress, minor finish flaws, etc, but the Elite does not have any issues.

Tim M.

My LTD Elite M-II is as nice as any ESP I've owned. Granted the older stuff is a lot better than any of the new ESP's, the attention to detail, fretwork, and overall build on the Elite is awesome. If it didn't have the LTD designation on the hs, you'd never know. Most of the World-built high end LTD's always have something up with them, be it crappy fret dress, minor finish flaws, etc, but the Elite does not have any issues.

Thats good to know. I have a Horizon III in the blue on order but if it lives up to my expectations I will definitely be following it up with the MII as well. Which one did you spring for the burst or the trans black? I have my eye on the burst.

Mr.Dahl

I e-mailed Makoto. If you want an ESP, go through Makoto. He will tell you which ones they have left in-stock in Japan and ship it directly to your country through any local dealer.

Ronaldo Venesuala

FUCK ESP/LTD! FUCK YOU!!!! FUCK YOU!!!!!!!! FUCK YOU!!!!!!!

I paid good money for a guitar that is now practically worthless!

I'll never buy anything from this fucked up company AGAIN! FUCK YOU ESP!

From now on it's Gibson's for me! My LP Custom is still worth something! My ESP Snakebyte is worthless because of the ESP company! I should have bought a Gibson Explorer instead this ESP/JH crap! My better judgement told me NOT to buy the ESP Snakebyte, but I did it anyway! Never again! My ESP Snakebyte is going to have the ESP name removed and any association with ESP removed. What difference does it make, it fucking worthless anyway! 

Thanks ESP! FUCK you!

Post to Thread