Quilted top thickness on a horizon

Updated
shesky
Anybody peek under the pickups yet? Is the figured maple a cap or a veneer? Standard Horizon nt, not a ltd. shesky
guitarsatbmusic

Veneer. But can be a generous veneer. Still maple under that veneer too. Horizon custom will have full thickness top

shesky

For $1400 and up, I would expect a full thickness top. I'm very disappointied to hear this. So what is the difference between a ltd and a esp then? The $600 logo?

shesky

load more replies (2 of 2)
LordCliffton

VENEERS?!! Fuck that shit.

I'll stick with my used Ibanez SZ520QM, with its all mahogany body w/set-thru mahogany neck & quilted maple top, that I got at Guitar Center preloaded with an EMG 81/60 set for $250+tax... I swapped out the EMGs for some Blackouts & love em.. wouldn't say they're better than the EMGs,, just different-in a good way.

But yeah, back on topic,, my arched top is like 1/2" thick... and truth be told,, idk if the entire slab on top is quilted maple or if its a veneer.. it looks good and i know there is actually a top there that's 1/2" thick. Plus I got such a killer deal on it.. I love this thign! Swapping in some sperzels soon methinks.

guitarsatbmusic

Veneers are not "photo flames" or anything like that shit. It is a MAPLE top regardless of whether it is full thickness or maple veneer on maple. How many pieces of quilted maple do you think are lying around waiting to be thrown on guitars? It is a commodity that is premium, and priced accordingly.

I'll stick with my used Ibanez SZ520QM, with its all mahogany body w/set-thru mahogany neck & quilted maple top, that I got at Guitar Center preloaded with an EMG 81/60 set for $250+tax... I swapped out the EMGs for some Blackouts & love em.. wouldn't say they're better than the EMGs,, just different-in a good way.

But yeah, back on topic,, my arched top is like 1/2" thick... and truth be told,, idk if the entire slab on top is quilted maple or if its a veneer.. it looks good and i know there is actually a top there that's 1/2" thick. Plus I got such a killer deal on it.. I love this thign! Swapping in some sperzels soon methinks.

What are you getting at? Fuck that shit yet you don't know if your own guitar is veneer or not?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Llexileon

I'll stick with my used Ibanez SZ520QM

:rollin

....:lol

Newsflash, your Ibanez has a veneer top too. If the entire slab was maple, the 'top' alone as a raw material would be worth more than the price of the guitar in stores :p

xchumfiestax

I'd rather have a good looking veneer than a shitty looking "real" top

Pushead

Shane, can we get a ruling on the LTD 400ish series Horizons? Do they have a maple top besides the veneer? My 300 is the only one I have any experience with.

guitarsatbmusic

Shane, can we get a ruling on the LTD 400ish series Horizons? Do they have a maple top besides the veneer? My 300 is the only one I have any experience with.

Doesn't appear so Pus, just looked at a couple and couldn't see one. Still, nothing really represent bang for the biccies like the 400/401s hey?

Pushead

I've got nothing wrong with Carvins. They're an awesome value for the money. It's a shame more people can't get their hands on them to try one before they order one. Of course, there are things Carvin won't do like binding, but I'm very happy with my DC (after I replaced the crap pickups it came with).

Pushead

In that price range, I'd buy the LTD every time.

Brian

I have never found a LTD that I have really liked.

k65h

In that price range, I'd buy the LTD every time.

Edwards!
KIKO!

Post to Thread