Would an EMG 85 work better for me? need your opinions

Updated
johnny00
Please. Sorry if this has been covered before. I am not liking the sound of my Eclipse II with the EMG 81 in the bridge. I have always used passive Duncans and Dimarzios, and I'm reading good things about the EMG 85 in the bridge. I don't play metal, but play with a good amount of gain most times, like Foo Fighters or something. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated since this is my first EMG equipped guitar. Thanks!!!!!!
Mr. Wicked

85 sounds badass in the bridge. More punch, but also sounds more natural. I have an 89 in the bridge, which is the same sound with the coil tap off & I love it.

Mr Walley

If you have the 81/85 comb, just swap them @ the quick connect next string change.

Mr. Wicked

If you have the 81/85 comb, just swap them @ the quick connect next string change.

I've never liked the 81 the way it sounds in the neck... I say just save for another 85 if you play both bridge & neck. If you play mostly the bridge, you can swap them temporarily. Or swap the 85 & get a 89 for the neck.

jsp

Probably.

milkbone

Swap the 81 and 85. I have two guitars with this setup and love them both!

johnny00

crap! i have the 81/60 combo. thanks guys.

johnny00

I don't like the 81 in any position...which is weird, kuz i seems to be THE EMG bridge pickup. Unfortunately I have the 81/60 combo, so I'll have to buy an 85 for the bridge and just leave the 60 in the neck. I wouldn't mind the 89 with the coil tap deal though. thanks!

David_VI

Hows the 85 sound in contrast to the 81? I've got the 60/81 combo

Sauerkret

drYbtKNMKHo

this might help

WildeStarr

drYbtKNMKHo

this might help

Those videos are useless.

:lol

Sauerkret

:p I said MIGHT now did'nt I :p

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

DeathIsMyJustice

I say go for it, I have a Eclipse and when I got it was thought it sounded really thin until I put a 85 in there

johnny00

Sounds like an 85s sound is more like a passive high output humbucker. I bought an 85 from someone on this forum, so I'll soon find out for myself. Thanks for all the replies and help!

Nitrobattery

I swear by 85's in the bridge. I run dual 85's in most of my guitars.

nick c.

now im thinkgin of switching my 81/85 around on my caparison, i wonder how it will sound??

espsy

now im thinkgin of switching my 81/85 around on my caparison, i wonder how it will sound??

I had an 85 in the bridge of my hardtail Dellinger. It was awesome!

load more replies (1 of 1)
Big Rich

i have an 85 in the bridge of my src

i think it only sounds good in guitars that are really bright or guitars that ar made with alder.........for me the 85 in a mahogony bodied guitar would sound like a muddy mess

blistered earth

put an 85 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck

johnny00

I like the 85 in the bridge of my eclipse. Fuller and more natural, maybe more like a passive pickup sound. Thanks for the recommendations!

Post to Thread