ESP Eclipse II String Buzz

Updated
Yamahasoldier
Does anyone else besides me have an issue with their ESP Eclipse II having real bad string buzz in lower tunings like drop c? Ive adjusted the neck as much as it can be as far as underbow goes, ive raised the bridge to my maximum comfort heighth and still theres string buzz. I am also using 12's. Anyone else have this problem?
Yamahasoldier

Until now i have never head of an Eclipse III or a IV.

Yamahasoldier

Yeah ive only ever known of an Eclipse I and II, you sure about the others?

Yamahasoldier

Thanks for the help yall, really appreciate it. I dont know what id do with out your advice. Im sure glad i bothered to ask.

Fordman65

Does anyone else besides me have an issue with their ESP Eclipse II having real bad string buzz in lower tunings like drop c? Ive adjusted the neck as much as it can be as far as underbow goes, ive raised the bridge to my maximum comfort heighth and still theres string buzz. I am also using 12's. Anyone else have this problem?

The reason you have buzz is because you setup is all jacked. Why would you adjust your truss rod that much? Your neck should never be bowed like that no matter what tuning you are using. The strings might not have as much tension as say a 25.5 scale guitar but the Eclipse should be able to hold that tuning without major issue. You will probably never be completely buzz free but nothing should happen like you are describing.

Simple enough, take the guitar in and spend the $50 for a setup. Not knocking you but obviously you should learn a bit more before making such drastic adjustments. Maybe take it in and ask if you can watch how they do it? I don't know man.

Yamahasoldier

Wo Wo Wo. you got me all wrong. I didnt mean that i adjusted the truss rod drastically causeing severe underbow. Im not an amateur at setting up guitars. All my guitars are set up by me and all play exceptionally, i just happened to run into fret buzz problems with the Eclipse and was wondering if anyone else has experienced these same problems. Ive only put a half turn on the truss rod when the neck was set as straight as an arrow. Those two quarter turns i made underbowed the neck to the point that anymore would cause more fret buzz. Its not really severe fret buzz, but it does bleed through to the amp.

Gfunk

Wo Wo Wo. you got me all wrong. I didnt mean that i adjusted the truss rod drastically causeing severe underbow. Im not an amateur at setting up guitars. All my guitars are set up by me and all play exceptionally, i just happened to run into fret buzz problems with the Eclipse and was wondering if anyone else has experienced these same problems. Ive only put a half turn on the truss rod when the neck was set as straight as an arrow. Those two quarter turns i made underbowed the neck to the point that anymore would cause more fret buzz. Its not really severe fret buzz, but it does bleed through to the amp.

How are your knishes and chopped liver?

Do you put egg in the chopped liver? I love a little diced egg on top of some chopped liver, slathered on toasted rye. Ummm, ummm...

Geeyad Dayum, I am getting hungry! How about some smoked whiting washed down with a little Manischewitz. Topped off with a few Rugalach.

Merry Christmas!

Nitrobattery

Im not an amateur at setting up guitars.

Then it shouldn't be hard to spot that your guitar either

A) Needs a fret level

or

B) Has a twist in the neck.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Ignoramus

I shall watch and enjoy the progress of this thread.

Yamahasoldier

Well after asking around enough and having enough luthiers look at my Eclipse about the buzzing issue with mine and apparently alot of other eclipse owners, this is the conclusion. The fretwire is the culpert. Having a short scale guitar with extra jumbo fret wire is a set up for failure to start off with. If anyone is interested in fixin there eclipse buzz, they can either have there frets filed, or have them replaced. Problem with a refret is, your fret board is ebony and ebony tends to chip badly when worked on. Something else that works some what is using super heavy strings. Im using 13-56 on my eclipse with drop c tuning. However if you dont plan on using lower tunings, you will not have these buzz problems.

jsp

Having a short scale guitar with extra jumbo fret wire is a set up for failure to start off with.

Hm... I have two LTD EC's, a 300 and 400VF, that do not have fret buzz issues. One of them is tuned to drop C as well.

So the ESP warranty guy says your neck is straight, huh?

Nitrobattery

Almost all guitars from the factory need a slight fret level. Most stores do it right in the shop before they ever hang the guitar on the wall (at least the good ones do). Plus, using 13's on extra jumbo fret wire with low action without any modifications to the nut...you're going to run into some problems.

My suggestion, get a GOOD tech to make you a graphite or bone nut from a blank, do a fret level and dressing, and if your neck is straight and the neck angle is spot on, you'll have a killer guitar.

7oM

how much does a fret level, or a custom graphite or bone nut cost?

BLS

7oM

New Hampshire! Where? I grew up in New Hampshire (West Lebanon/Hanover).

7oM

I'm in Manchester, and I grew up in Nashua.

Billybobtexas

Is it on a specific fret your having trouble with? or on several strings past a certain fret? Did you get the guitar professionaly setup and intonated? New guitars are not necessarily setup properly, even if the store said they did it. Even if you paid two grand for it!

You probobly need to get it set up, tell the guy what strings you want and what tuning you play in and that you are getting lots of fret buzz for him to look at that. Clean new strings in drop C may buzz a little too... if you dont like that your luthier/tech will probobly raise your bridge, because the action may be way too low for some fat strings you may be using. Its a geometry thing. Your guitar is fine I'm sure. my new M-II was fretting out past the 12th fret and sounding great past the 17 erso... just took it in, worked out the kinks.

chriz74

I had the same buzz problem for a long time on my eclipse II.. Then I bought this (radius 12) on ebay and I managed to get rid of it. It's really helpful in setting the strings heights. I also adjusted a little the truss rod. 

Quick String Action Setting Gauge

Adam A.

I just purchased an E2 eclipse. Really bad fret buzz on the first 3 strings. No matter what I do I can't remedy the problem...Unfortunately I bought it on reverb and the place i bought it from won't let me return it. Its not like this is a cheep guitar... Gonna take it to a repair shop and have them level the frets/replace the nut.  Pretty disappointed...

Post to Thread