Dimarzio Pickup Questions for HORIZON NT-II STB (my new axe)

Updated
Will Pwr
Hello to everyone. I am a new-comer to ESP Guitar, been playing for about a year now and I want to upgrade on my axe. I have fallen in love with the HORIZON NT-II STB, love the shape and the color. The only thing I would want to change on the axe is the pickups. I love the Dimarzio Evolution Pickups, so here are my two questions: 1. What is the difference between the Evolution F-Space pickups and the Evolution Standard/Regular pickups? (both neck and bridge) 2. Is there a different sound if a put the Chrome Evolution pickups to the Black Evolution pickups? (might a dumb question, but I must know) Any kind of helpful information would be very much appreciated. -Thanks, Will Pwr
Brian

Oh please don't tell me you are back :rolleyes:

Will Pwr

Oh please don't tell me you are back :rolleyes:Back? Yo must be mistaken, I am new to ESP. This will be my first ESP. Thanks for the reply though

load more replies (1 of 1)
Gfunk

1. Fender = F-Spaced / ESP Horizon = Regular Spaced

2. Not really. IMO black would look better. Chrome covered pups would make it look like it has braces.

:lol

Will Pwr

1. Fender = F-Spaced / ESP Horizon = Regular Spaced

2. Not really. IMO black would look better. Chrome covered pups would make it look like it has braces.

:lolhahaha, Thanks Gfunk.

CL4P-TP

You should know that the Evolutions are not a very forgiving pickup. I hope you've played them already. I hated them when I first got them, but then I stopped sucking as much and now I love mine.

Ravens Creed

I think the JB in the bridge position is perfect but if you want to go DiMarzio then I would suggest a Tone Zone in the bridge position and an Air Norton in the neck.

Evolutions are great but suit Alder or Basswood guitars more in my opinion.

JonCurcio

Dimarzio F-Spaced pickups will match the string spacing at most bridges, even tune-o-matics, better than the regular spacing. The strings line up perfect;y on my Epiphone LP, LTD-H-300, and my NT-II when I had Dimarzios in that guitar briefly. Dimarzio F-Spaced is much narrower than say a Seymour Duncan Trembucker. Oh, and the Tone Zone is the tonal opposite of the JB to me --very dark in comparison. The Evolution is a bit darker then the JB and will sound good in a Horizon. It's my favorite pickup.

CL4P-TP

It should just be standard spacing. But if you really want to be sure, just measure the pickup in the guitar. 50mm is standard spacing, and 53 mm is F-spacing. And that's from pole to pole.

Will Pwr

It should just be standard spacing. But if you really want to be sure, just measure the pickup in the guitar. 50mm is standard spacing, and 53 mm is F-spacing. And that's from pole to pole.

ok, from what I understand a pole piece in a guitar pickup is the small metal circles in a pickup, its the the string goes over, right? Do I measure between the poles or do I measure the entire pickup, height and length? Thanks.

load more replies (2 of 2)
CL4P-TP

Well I have standard spaced Evolutions in my Ibanez with an Edge Pro II. The high E pole pieces aren't even close to lining up, and the G and B strings are off. My high E is a lot quieter than any other string, so I can hear the difference.

CL4P-TP

Nope. I'm not fancy with all the pole piece adjusting stuff. I just planned on putting the Evolutions in my Hellraiser and putting my EMG's from that in the Ibanez. I are lazy.

Ravens Creed

I'm suprised you say the Tone Zone is the tonal opposite of the JB. They're not completely similar or I wouldnt have recommended it as an alternative but the Tone Zone is in the same ball park as the JB in my opinion. I wouldnt say it was darker either. Warmer, certainly wth more headroom and better harmonics.

KH Guitar Freak

Putting the Tone Zone and JB in the same sentence is an atrocity... :p

gorsch

you dont need F spaced. Those are generally for guitars with a trem but wouldnt hurt anything. I had a non F-spaced (regular JB) in my M200FM and the only difference I noticed was that bar dives and pulls, mostly pulls, didnt sustain as well. Really small difference though. Buy a Bill Lawrence XL500L (or dimebucker) and you dont ever have to worry about proper spacing.

Xochitl

1. What is the difference between the Evolution F-Space pickups and the Evolution Standard/Regular pickups? (both neck and bridge)

NT-IIs need regular spacing bridge pups. You can read it from the (overseas) japanese website specs. Plus the JB I took out of my own NT-II was indeed a SH-4 (regular spacing).

On another hand, btw, NT-Is actually need F-spaced buckers (you can still read it on the japanese website).
It sure may be a little confusing as, at first, F-spaced (DiMarzio) or Trembuckers (Seymour Duncan) were designed to fit Fender tremolo or OFR bridges.

No rule of thumb, sorry.

Xochitl

Horizon NT-II with SH-4

Horizon NT with TB-4

Post to Thread