Horizons: FR and FR-II

Updated
johnan
I am searching the market to by an ESP and I am considering the Horizon. I am interested in the model with the Floyd Rorse and I have noticed that there are two different models: FR-II and FR. As far as I can see, the specs are the same for both models, the only difference being the finish: FR comes in black, while FR-II in various see-through colours. Can somebody enlighten me? Is FR just an older version of FR-II or there is some other difference between the two?
Helldragon

The significant difference is, the FR has the ash body and FR-II being alder (that goes for the oversea standard series)

johnan

Thanks for the info. Ah...since by knowledge on woods is very limited, which of the two is considered better and why?

Helldragon

oh, forgot to mention... the FR-II also features a soft maple top, whereas, the FR doesn't :)

ZephMan

which of the two is considered better and why?

Neither of them are "Better", they sound completely different.

Dæmonium

I went for the FR-II. I personally just prefer Alder to Ash, and I personally think the trans-black finish looks better than a standard black finish.

johnan

This is exactly my problem. From the FR-II's I personally like the see-thru black cherry (which I think will be discontinued in 2008, since the only available colour in the 2008 ESP catalogue is transparent red). However, I am a bit sceptical about see-thru and transparent finishes. Sometimes I thing is...too much!. Also the guitar with the black cherry finish is red on the back and if you view it from that side it lookes like a...guitar-shaped oversized candy!

I am afraid that If I buy this guitar, there is the possibility that after a few months I will get sick of the colour. This is the reason I am also considering the more plain (and more safe) black colour (hence the FR).

I really wish ESP would have some more standard colour options for each model. I mean, what happens if you want to buy an M-II and you don't like black;

Dæmonium

Anyone who doesn't like black is a fag. I'm sure ESP knows this as well.

ESP

Anyone who doesn't like black is a fag. I'm sure ESP knows this as well.

It's covered in the first section of the employee handbook.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Pushead

:rollin

Dæmonium

There you go. You'll buy an M-II in black and you'll shut up and like it.

johnan

Have you seen the standard colour for the Horizon FR-II for 2008? Transparent red! OK it looks interesting, but to have that as the only colour available?

I really don't like this colour and for this reason I am trying to speed things up and decide on black or black cherry before they run out of stock. If that happens, I will have to wait to see the colours of 2009 before I buy the Horizon because for sure I am not buying transparent red!

It is a bit frastrating to have decided to buy a guitar and not being able to, due to non-existant colour options.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Helldragon

well, they are the standard FR, and as far as I know, they are still being produced ;)

Post to Thread