ESP Devil V

Updated
ESP Devil V

Hello, I recently bought this amazing used Devil V from the ESP Craft House in Shibuya, Tokyo. All the salesman could tell me about it was that he thought it was about 20 years old.  

There are two signatures on the back of the headstock. I assume these are the craftsmen/luthiers involved in the build. 

In the custom ESP guitar case there was a 'devil tail' sealed in plastic that screws into the end of the guitar but I could see it was soft and runny looking, and in rough shape. I did not know of the existence of this tail until the case was brought out as it was not on display with the guitar. I did not have time to look at the tail much until I got the guitar back home to Vancouver, Canada. Upon further investigation the 'tail' is a 16 inch long threaded bar with a wooden diamond -shaped wooden tail-end. The bar is covered in a sticky substance similar to the consistency of wet silicon sealant. This sticky and malleable coating appears to be over some type of foam covering. I tried peeling it back at first to see if there was wood underneath but abandoned that idea. The tail did harden a bit once exposed to air but is still tacky to the touch. I would have to really clean and degrease the end to screw it in. 

I am curious to know anything more about this guitar. Specifically I would like to know what the original condition and intent of the 'tail' was. Is it supposed to be a sticky and shiny finish to make it more organic looking for a show of some type? Has it been modified since leaving the factory in some way by the previous owner? It seems to me that the tail should be solid and dry to the touch. You can see there is some discoloration around the screw hole in the picture above, presumably from the tail coating. Are there possibly any pictures of this guitar in the ESP archives ? Please help. I want this guitar to be displayed and played in it's original condition. It looks, sounds and plays awesome. What's with the tail?

Cheers

Maxime L.

hello

for your Knowledge... it s one of literally dozens signature models for the band The ALFEE... takamizawa akira///

and the signature on the back of the headstock is not from the guitar Builders but from Him... TAKAMIZAWA...

the alfee could be compared to a Japanese U2... here from at least 3 years... and kinda stadium rock music

Monsta Riffa

Thank you for that information. It's very helpful. This guitar is a special edition of the ESP Flying A-1. Takamizawa seems to prefer Angels to Demons these days anyways...at least as far as his guitar collection goes.

Post to Thread