Need LTD M-100FM help

Updated
Need LTD M-100FM help

Hi there,

I just bought a LTD M-100FM.  The strings keep on breaking (coming out of the floyd rose) when I'm tuning.  Is this a common problem with this guitar.

Here's a photo of my floyd rose.  Should it look like that when I'm tuning?

Regards

Lee

Pushead

Hi Lee,

Is this your first guitar with a Floyd Rose style bridge? It looks like you're running into a few problems. The first issue looks like the pivot edge of the bridge has slipped out of the pivot point on the stud (it should fit into the notch of the stud.)

It also looks like you may have changed either the gauge of strings you're using or the tuning you're using. The bridge is leaning way forward (toward the neck). You may need to adjust the springs in the back of the guitar to counter act the pull of the bigger strings/higher tuning.

Todd from ESP put together a pretty good video about restringing a guitar with a Floyd. Maybe this will give you a few tips to make the job a bit easier.

Pushead

Here's another video about adjusting the springs in the back.

Lee F.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.  Can you explain more in detail and less jargon this >>The first issue looks like the pivot edge of the bridge has slipped out of the pivot point on the stud (it should fit into the notch of the stud.

Regards

Lee

Pushead

The edge of your bridge is below the pivot point on the stud.

Lee F.

Okay I put 10s on it.  I now realise I should have put 9s.  I've ordered some 9s to put on later this week.  This will hopefully resolve my issues.

Lee

Pushead

10s will work fine on the guitar. But because there is more string tension with the bigger strings, you need to adjust the springs in the back to bring the bridge back to level. The information in the second video will help give an idea of what you need to do.

If your strings are still pulling out of the locks on the bridge, check to be sure that you've fit as much of the string end into the lock as you can.

If you're still having trouble, consider bringing the guitar to a local shop or guitar tech and ask them to show you how to restring and setup the Floyd.

Lee F.

Thanks for the tip.

Post to Thread