None Floating Floyd

Updated
None Floating Floyd

I've noticed this a lot but why are all Floyd bridges floating? It's rare to see a manufacture make a guitar with a Floyd Rose locking system that isn't floating. Now I know there are methods to locking its direction but why not just let it rest on the body?

Thank,

Gary Simonelli

LK1

Floating trems are more fun and have better tuning stability, esp. if you use the whammy. The only real downsides are changing strings and tunings, but it's easy enough to block it.

gsimonelli

More fun purhapes stable tuning not so much. Put a D-tuna on a floating Floyd. This would be unheard of. Break a string absolute crap. If the thing rests on the body all these things can be avoided. Ok so all you do is dive thats ok with me thats all I want to do anyway. I'm just wondering why any of the manufactures don't offer something like this. I won't play it at a gig if doesn't have a floyd. 

LK1

I did use a D-tuna on an Original Floyd but I realized it was pointless. It never works perfectly and it disables the bridge fine-tuner which is annoying. Also, I had to unscrew the nut all the time and tune the E string via headstock tuners, then recrew the nut. I got tired of carrying around an allen wrench so I ended up removing the D-tuna after a week.

gsimonelli

It doesn't disable the fine tuner. It actually works great if you know how to set it up correctly. Oh well it was worth a try. I wouldn't think anyone would know why. I understand a lot of guys really don't understand the workings of a Floyd. Been using them for 30 years. Best thing ever.

LK1

It doesn't disable the fine tuner but it only lets you turn it a little. If you set it too loose it tends to fall off. I only have 1 guitar with a floating trem because its a pain in the ass.

Slatanic.

Have you ever tried a Kahler trem?

gsimonelli

Yes I have. Didn't really like it but that was a long time ago maybe they've made improvements.

ESP Admin

I've noticed this a lot but why are all Floyd bridges floating? It's rare to see a manufacture make a guitar with a Floyd Rose locking system that isn't floating. Now I know there are methods to locking its direction but why not just let it rest on the body?

Thank,

Gary Simonelli

Floyd Rose​ bridges float to allow the pitch of a note to either be pulled up in pitch or to loosen the tension of the strings for "dive-bomb" effects.​  If a Floyd Rose were to rest on top of the body this would not allow for notes to be shifted upwards in pitch, this is similar to how a vintage or synchronized tremolo functions.

gsimonelli

I get it I understand why its that way that's the easy part what I'm saying is it's rare to see it done dive bomb only. I don't want to pull it back I want it to rest on the body. I want to use a D-Tuna on it so I can use drop D tuning. You can't do that with a floating bridge.      

Post to Thread